Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Law enforcement thread

Who here works in law enforcement? I work for U.S. Customs. My supervisor and I are both getting the Lap Band. She can get hers paid for with her health plan. I am going to Mexico because I am not fat enough to get the band here. I need to take off at least 30-40lbs. I have high blood pressure. 140-88, today. I am getting the band to help me quit eating so much. I have been on steroids (prednisone) for 3 months due to kidney problems. I cannot stop the hunger pains. I got 30 lbs fatter due to this terrible drug. I am off of the pills and I cannot take the fat off. I getting banded as a preventative measure. Most of my family is obese. I am just fat. I want to stop the problem before it starts.

Thanks Robert

hi i love guys in uniform ...my x is a cop ...but you can get dr.kirshenbaum to do ypur surgery if you get your gp to write a lettter im not fat enough either so im going to dr.k and i will be self pay my gp was all for it ..he said ins doesnt apy for a lot of surgeries people need and that is silly ..so stay in the states im getting my surgery on feb 28th

I'm a FLEO. I got hurt a while back and put on a bunch of weight. I got banded (covered under FEP BC/BS) to get a jump start and lose enough weight to where I can start to at least jog again and pull the weight off.

Anyone every have any experience being banded, wearing body armor for extended periods of time?

Hard Plates?

How about tactical operations body drags etc? Any feedback from anyone?

Kinda curious.

Anyone every have any experience being banded, wearing body armor for extended periods of time?

Hard Plates?

How about tactical operations body drags etc? Any feedback from anyone?

Kinda curious.

I am a Sgt in Minneapolis for the Federal Reserve Police. I've not worn my body armor in forever due to the fact that it made me look "bigger" than I already was.

Next week, I am taking the physical tests to try to get back on our SWAT team. They still have all my equipment from before when I had to leave the team due to my weight issues. Not sure any of it will fit right anymore.:biggrin:

Sorry, I can't answer your questions directly right now, but hopefully soon.

Any thoughts and/or prayers next week would be nice on Wed. Thanks.

I'm not in Law Enforcement but when I got my band there was a guy there that was on the San Antonio PD. It's my understanding there are a number of officer on duty that have gotten the band and are on the streets protecting us everyday. When I was just starting the processing my surgeon said he had done the procedure on a number of the SAPD and they where doing great.

Genea

Ceradad how did the PT test go?

Great! I passed everything with flying colors. Ran the mile in 9:10, started off @ 6.2 mph and just kept increasing the speed periodically to see how far I could push myself. Made up to 7.5 for the last .12 mile.

Pullups were a little iffy going in, but I made it on those, did 30 situps in less than a minute, and benched my body weight 4 x's (only needed two, but thought I would prove a point with the testers.:confused:)

Thanks for asking. The more support I have, the better I can do. Next is shooting next week. No problems there (if there were, I shouldn't be in this field:lol:). Then, oral interview. I have nothing but good feelings about this process right now. Don't see how I can make it easy on them to not take me back.

Just an update: Today was the shooting portion of the tests to get back on SWAT here at work. Handgun-did pretty bad, even for me. Shot 240 out of 300. I am normally in the 280-285 range. Still passed, but disappointing. Can't say for sure what the problem was. Rifle-244 out of 250. Much better, was told that was the one to do better as they reminded me that rifle is the main weapon on SWAT. Shotgun-passed. No score given.

One more step next week, oral interviews. Wish me luck.

Hey there,

My name is Mike I work for a Metro Sheriff's Office in Minnesota.I am a patrol deputy. I am getting banded tomorrow. I am a little nervious but exited at the same time. Im glad to see all the success out there. How do I get the weight counter that all of you have. Well wish me Luck :cursing:

I got the tracker but where do I put it on here so it shows up?

When you have the properties copied from the ticker, go into your autosignature area. Then on the toolbar, go to the "insert image". Click on that and paste the url into the box. That should do it.

Got it thanks, Hey Ceradad ant advice for me, I go into get banded tomorrow. It looks like you have had a lot of success with yours. 90lbs in 6 months. Way to go. Any secrets to pass along. Anything would help. I am a local Minneapolis cop also.

Got it thanks, Hey Ceradad ant advice for me, I go into get banded tomorrow. It looks like you have had a lot of success with yours. 90lbs in 6 months. Way to go. Any secrets to pass along. Anything would help. I am a local Minneapolis cop also.

I'm in the gym every morning @ 0500 for cardio and 4 nights a week for strength training. If I didn't hit the weights so much, I know my weight loss would be bigger, but I've been doing that since I was 14 (over 23 yrs :cursing:).

If you want someone to talk to that is going through the same issues, shoot me a PM. I'm by far no expert, but I can share what I've gone through.

Which dept are you with?

Good luck with your surgery tomorrow! Which Dr is doing yours? I had Dr. Jones with the Park Nicollet Bariatric Surgery in SLP