Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Law enforcement thread

Sounds like you have a good plan SCHEWY. Most of the guys here in Houston have had more problems with their body armor being too big than with the incisions. One deputy had a problem with the hard plates rubbing against his port for a while, but he padded the incision and once it healed completely up he has had no problems. The biggest problem that most of us face now is getting new body armor that fits. We have heard that there is someone who can cut the panels down to size, but I think I will buy my own new armor before trusting that cutting does not affect the overall protection.

I went back to work in a week. I have been having problems with my port incision closing up (it leaks) but they have given me a heavy round of antibiotics and promise that it will be alright in a week or so. In the meantime I keep it covered with thick gauze pads to prevent it from leaking on my gear.

I have lost 26 pounds so far and feel great. More energy, less meds for the diabetes and high blood pressure. The uniform has become very loose and I am able to get in and out of the car so much quicker. The surgery itself was no big deal, and except for the liquid diet for the first week, I could have gone back to work after a day or so. You just need to keep the wounds clean and they will heal up pretty fast. Follow your diet and get everyone to help and support you. You will be astonished by the people who will give their support and want to know all about the procedure. It was the best move I could have ever made to improve my life.

Roy

HCSO/41S90

Thanks for the info. I am also diabetic (type II) and this is why I am considering getting banded. I do not want to take insulin and I am at the point where I need to.

Concerning the body armor. I have a friend is a rep for a body armor company. Don't know which one at this moment, but he may have some suggestions and may know of a swap out program. My department has a replacement policy and weight loss covers new vests if needed before the life of the vest expires. May be something to check with at your agency. If your agency is involved with CALEA, you should have some policy on the body armor.

Good Idea! We just got some sort of award from CALEA as a Flagship agency, so maybe it is good for something after all.

schewy,

I don't trade them but I have one from the Grosse Pointe Woods Department of Public Safety where I am a dispatcher. I retired from Harper Woods PD but we didn't have Patches. HW is supposed to get Patches and I'll try and get one from them for you when they do.

These departments are in Michigan.

lapbander081004@yahoo.com is my e-mail. Send me an address and I'll ship one to you.

Hey everyone, I am a LEO in Florida and am 5 days post-op...Going to be on light-duty for about 3 weeks at work, but still a little nervous about damage to my port area. I work in a crappy part of town, and fight happen every so often, just a little worried about that. Anyone have any issues??

Hey everyone I am a dispatcher for the Tennessee Highway Patrol I am having surgery on April the 15th at Baptist Hospital in Nashville

Hello fellow banded LEO'S. I am an ICE criminal investigator and was banded yesterday 4/10/08. Suprisingly, the pain hasn't been that bad. I did have a little trouble trying to get comfortable last night. Besides walking, is there any other way to get rid of the gas?

Hello fellow banded LEO'S. I am an ICE criminal investigator and was banded yesterday 4/10/08. Suprisingly, the pain hasn't been that bad. I did have a little trouble trying to get comfortable last night. Besides walking, is there any other way to get rid of the gas?

A fellow 1811! :thumbup: Welcome.

The gas will be gone soon. Moving around or walking is the best thing you can do.

The gas will be gone soon. Moving around or walking is the best thing you can do.

Us 1895s get the good overtime pay. Starting in July we get the LEO retirement. You ICE guys should stop wearing those ugly floral shirts. I can spot you guys a mile away!:eek: I hear that at FLETC it is like swimming in a sea of smurfs now. I stayed in the crack houses when I was there. Gotta love the FLETC pollo.

Can I join the party? I'm a juvenile probation officer in Indiana. I just sort of fell into the job 2 years ago after years of working as a teacher in junior high and high school, as well as stints in elementary.

Us 1895s get the good overtime pay. Starting in July we get the LEO retirement. You ICE guys should stop wearing those ugly floral shirts. I can spot you guys a mile away!:thumbup: I hear that at FLETC it is like swimming in a sea of smurfs now. I stayed in the crack houses when I was there. Gotta love the FLETC pollo.

Pilate,

I started out on the 1890 side of the house, but the 25 percent and G ride was too good to pass up. I spent 5 1/2 lovely months in the dorms that face the G bar.

Thanks Pizzaman,

I have been trying to move around as much as possible today.

Us 1895s get the good overtime pay. Starting in July we get the LEO retirement. You ICE guys should stop wearing those ugly floral shirts. I can spot you guys a mile away!:biggrin: I hear that at FLETC it is like swimming in a sea of smurfs now. I stayed in the crack houses when I was there. Gotta love the FLETC pollo.

I'm not with ICE. I'm happy that you CBP guys are getting 6c.

FLETC's always been a zoo. When I was there along time back, I stayed in the townhouses - which are now offices.

Since then, a bad injury, a slow recovery and a lot of weight gain. It's coming off now though.

Good luck to you guys.

Hello. I am a dispatcher for the King County Sheriff Dept in Washington. I have been approved and am just waiting for the date.