Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey 50 & over gang We have a new spot

Monday. I've been hungry a lot lately and finding out I can eat about anything. Well........I went into this 'last supper before my fill mode'. How stupid is that? My sisters called and asked if I wanted to meet them for lunch, we went to this mom and pop place that has awesome fried chicken so I got that. On the bright side I do have some restriction and could only eat one thigh about about 4 french fries, and I gave my Texas toast and gravy away. then I had to stop at Walmart for something for my new bike. right at the checkout were snack size bags of Fritos, my number one red light food, so I bought one, ate the whole thing then I read the label and that little bag was considered 4 servings!!!! OMG!! That's 600 calories, mind you I've been averaging 700-800. I'm over 1000 for the day. Then tonight I got more chicken this time nuggets from Chik Fil A. Just goes to prove, that the body is willing but the mind is weak! I just entered everything into my daily plate and it's not that horrible considering what I used to do, but is 1400 calories for the day. This stops tonight, tomorrow I will be a good little bander! I wish those dang Fritos didn't go down so easy! Glad I rode my bike this morning and burned some of those calories.

About the Optima and Optifast, sorry haven't heard of either one. Only had to do 2 days of clears before surgery. But many dr.s are different I'm finding out.

long, don't beat yourself up over today......just get back on the bandwagon tomorrow. It happens. Old habits die hard. Hey, I have been on that liquid diet.....and I won't lie....I ate 3oz of tuna today. It was 90cal. So I skipped one of my shakes. We all need each other for support. When you get a fill it will be different.

Please tell me I won't be this hungry after I am banded. I am just glad I opted for banding and not the Optifast Diet the doctor offered. :biggrin:

By the way, I bought several bottles of Isopure for after surgery. Did any of you drink Gatorade? My son lived on that stuff for a few days after surgery.

Another thing....where is Indiogirl? I haven't seen a post in a few days.

I am so anxious to try a Wii Fit. if for nothing else to get my xercise age/actual age.....maybe I'll try to find one for my daughter for xmas, she has the Wii

I had fill #2 in Thusrday. now at 5cc in my 14cc band. Thought all was ok. had my liquids until today. but this morning I could not even swallow 1/2 cup of Water. I gasped and eventually threw it back up.. yuck.

Was extrememly careful, only liquids all day and so far feel bette, but do see a difference in my ability to drink too fast. So I guess this 1cc has givenme a new boost to restriction :biggrin:

Lynn you have restriction and very good restriction - you gotta really sip the water - I miss guzzling - but since I could use a tweak I can do a mini guzzle - but not like before. That's why we are suppose to sip all day cuz we can't get enough when we get thirsty .

I'm a newbie, my surgery date is August 4th. I have been reading and researching, trying to find out what to expect. Can someone explain the difference between Optima & Optifast? They are shakes right for the liquid diet that I will be on prior to surgery? Where can I find these? Thanks !!

PJ My doc suppled the pre-op diet food - ck w/your doc - he may be supplying it. - I too had Clear Liquids only the day before surgery per my doc orders..

My surgery is Thursday, July 17. My new beginning.

Great date Judy - I was banded 7/17 but in 2007 - You are in the 2007 thread not the 2008 - Good Luck !!!

Monday. I've been hungry a lot lately and finding out I can eat about anything. Well........I went into this 'last supper before my fill mode'. How stupid is that? My sisters called and asked if I wanted to meet them for lunch, we went to this mom and pop place that has awesome fried chicken so I got that. On the bright side I do have some restriction and could only eat one thigh about about 4 french fries, and I gave my Texas toast and gravy away. then I had to stop at Walmart for something for my new bike. right at the checkout were snack size bags of Fritos, my number one red light food, so I bought one, ate the whole thing then I read the label and that little bag was considered 4 servings!!!! OMG!! That's 600 calories, mind you I've been averaging 700-800. I'm over 1000 for the day. Then tonight I got more chicken this time nuggets from Chik Fil A. Just goes to prove, that the body is willing but the mind is weak! I just entered everything into my daily plate and it's not that horrible considering what I used to do, but is 1400 calories for the day. This stops tonight, tomorrow I will be a good little bander! I wish those dang Fritos didn't go down so easy! Glad I rode my bike this morning and burned some of those calories.

About the Optima and Optifast, sorry haven't heard of either one. Only had to do 2 days of clears before surgery. But many dr.s are different I'm finding out.

Long - how much longer til you get your fill??? I am a year out and I still crave unhealthy foods - a girl in my Lucky #7 group has lost the taste for alot of her old trigger foods - no me ...

Trigger for me is being tired... I know this - so I just don't have stuff around and I don't buy it when I am out either... I look at the calories for a white choc reese Peanut Butter cup - 2 little candies 200 calories. So I eat either my Fudgecicle or puddings (sf of courses)

The 1400 wont hurt if you go back to lower the next day in fact it can sometime help boost the weight lose.. I allow 2% treats - and yes I would love some fried chicken - sounds good - but tonites menue - tuna sandwich with lite mayo on 45 c a slice bread...

Oh gotta share this great dinner I had last night - Lean Cusinie Alfreado 270 calories - Added Scallops (4 100 calories) that I sauteed in a little evoo & butter & garlic - cooked the frozen dinner in micro wave and then added the scallops without the oil & butter - OMG THOUGHT I HAD DIED AND WENT TO HEAVEN...

Be careful - watch out for your food triggers and be mindful when they hit..

Lynn you have restriction and very good restriction - you gotta really sip the Water - I miss guzzling - but since I could use a tweak I can do a mini guzzle - but not like before. That's why we are suppose to sip all day cuz we can't get enough when we get thirsty .

PJ My doc suppled the pre-op diet food - ck w/your doc - he may be supplying it. - I too had clear liquids only the day before surgery per my doc orders..

Great date Judy - I was banded 7/17 but in 2007 - You are in the 2007 thread not the 2008 - Good Luck !!!

Long - how much longer til you get your fill??? I am a year out and I still crave unhealthy foods - a girl in my Lucky #7 group has lost the taste for alot of her old trigger foods - no me ...

Trigger for me is being tired... I know this - so I just don't have stuff around and I don't buy it when I am out either... I look at the calories for a white choc reese Peanut Butter cup - 2 little candies 200 calories. So I eat either my Fudgecicle or puddings (sf of courses)

The 1400 wont hurt if you go back to lower the next day in fact it can sometime help boost the weight lose.. I allow 2% treats - and yes I would love some fried chicken - sounds good - but tonites menue - tuna sandwich with lite mayo on 45 c a slice bread...

Oh gotta share this great dinner I had last night - Lean Cusinie Alfreado 270 calories - Added Scallops (4 100 calories) that I sauteed in a little evoo & butter & garlic - cooked the frozen dinner in micro wave and then added the scallops without the oil & butter - OMG THOUGHT I HAD DIED AND WENT TO HEAVEN...

Be careful - watch out for your food triggers and be mindful when they hit..

Thanks for the words of encouragement. I think I figured out my trigger after reading your response. DH & DS went fishing for the day and possibly the weekend. I've been home alone, bored and thinking of food too much. I went shopping and out to lunch to occupy myself and felt "I deserved a treat'. DUH!! I hope it boosts my loss with the uptake in calories wouldnt' that be sweet. Now that I have identified it, I will be on the look out for the boredom eating or loneliness eating tomorrow!

My niece was banded 3 years ago. She told me that once I get my band I want be able to eat bread again? Does anyone have trouble eating bread? I loveeeeeeeeee Bread !!!

My niece was banded 3 years ago. She told me that once I get my band I want be able to eat bread again? Does anyone have trouble eating bread? I loveeeeeeeeee Bread !!!

Oops...i mean won't

I can eat toast, but not realy soft bread. I have had a few bites of a roll with a burger, but not too much. Gets a bit gooey and can get stuck. same with Pasta, rice. but then there are some people that have not trouble with bread, past or rice. kind of like coffe--i was told no caffiene, but asked my DR and she said if it does not bother you than go right ahead... so now I enjoy my morning coffee with low fat Creamer and splenda..

You mentioned bread may get stuck. food getting stuck is my biggest fear. I can't imagine what that feels like. I fear getting choked. That scares me to death. Can you explain the feeling of food getting stuck and what you do when that happens. Can it be dangerous????

You mentioned bread may get stuck. food getting stuck is my biggest fear. I can't imagine what that feels like. I fear getting choked. That scares me to death. Can you explain the feeling of food getting stuck and what you do when that happens. Can it be dangerous????

It's uncomfortable, but doesn't feel at all like choking.

Kind of like you're really full and the food won't go down.

I use Papaya tablets... they're chewable,

they don't have an unpleasant taste.

They're not real easy to find,

but RiteAid sells them under the Pharmasure brand.

Some people use pineapple juice. Generally, drinking something won't help,

but some say that the pineapple juice acts as a lubricant.

I am a newbie to this site. I have been lurking for a few weeks now. I went to my seminar in June and have my appointment with Dr on the 23rd.

I am 56,almost 57, 4'11 and 230 lbs. I was always small (gymnast in high school, swimmer, always active) until after I had my son (he's 38). I slowly put on weight for a few years and did Optifast in the 80's and took most of the weight off again.

Then my body decided to start falling apart and I have had so many surgeries that I look like a road map. LOL ....But I have always been able to bounce back eventually. The problem is all the limited movement I had after each surgery, helped me to pile on the weight. (and I certainly like my own cooking - let's not forget that!) Plus I had plantar fasciitis in both feet so had trouble walking because of that as well. (and surgery on one foot, along with breaking one ankle 5 times - weak ankle from the gymnastics).Bursitis in my shoulder so had to stop swimming. Playing golf with my husband is out right now also because of my shoulder and the walking we do.

I always make it to work, but it gets harder all the time because again I have to do a lot of walking and I'm determined to do something about it. I volunteered as an EMT for almost 30 years but also had to give that up because it is just too hard to do all the walking sometimes required at calls and also the lifting of others. I miss that part of my life so much.

I thought about doing this for a long time, but never thought it was a possibilty because of the surgeries. But after the seminar I spoke with one of the Drs and he assured me that because of the location of my surgeries, he would still be able to do it. How I wish I had gone to the seminar long before now....

So a few questions - what happens during the first visit to the Dr? What kind of things do you get asked in other appointments?

I have a co-worker who had this done last year and she couldn't be happier. But I'm hesitant to ask many questions until I get to know her better.

All I know is I am so hoping I can get this done so I can spend lots of time doing things with my grandkids, when I get to visit them and maybe get back to the rescue squad. My husband is totally supportive, went to the seminar with me, and has just been great about promising to go to each appointment with me. I'm just hoping the Dr was right, and I will be able to have this done. Thanks for any information !!

:biggrin:

Hi

Either procedure is dependent on what you put in your mouth. You can eat past the band and you can also eat past the bypas. The nurse in my doctor's office knows someone that is have a 2nd surgical procedure. I also know someone who has to watch what they eat (bypass) and still yoyo's with their wait.

My Dr. has reinforced that the band is only a tool, I think that is the same with the bypass. His stats are 5 years out from both procedures and the weight loss is similar. Not 100% for either procedure.

The advantage with the band is that it "buys" you time to learn new eating behaivors. That takes time. The old behaviors took us years to learn.

But it is a personal choice but no matter which procedure, eating habits still play a major factor in the weight loss.

Sue Stenzel

I have a co-worker who had this done last year and she couldn't be happier. But I'm hesitant to ask many questions until I get to know her better.:party:

If your co-worker has been open about having the procedure and you know she is happy about it, I'm sure she would be delighted to talk with you about it. ASK... I'm sure she will be eager to share her experience with you and there's nothing like face to face!

I don't even remember what my doctor asked at the first visit. Seems to me he did most of the talking, wanting to be sure I thoroughly understood both procedures.... bypass vs. lapband, so I could make an informed decision. He looked over my medical history, current weight & BMI to determine if I was a candidate. My BMI was quite high, so he then told me that he wanted me to lose 10% of my body weight prior to surgery. I didn't quite accomplish that, but I did get my BMI down to what he considered an acceptable level.

Welcome Nysem1.....(can't remember the rest of the screenname).

I don't remember the dr. asking too many questions at the first appt. He went over my medical history, weight, BMI, explained the procedures like Phyl said. When I told him I was leaning towards lap band, he agreed and he drew and X and circled in on my tummy to mark where the port would go. He then told me which screenings I needed (still needed a cardio at that point), when I had that done, I had a preop appt where he explained what to expect in surgery, recovery and I had surgery the next day. Good luck to you in the journey. I look at this as a journey as I am learning and discovering a new life and a new outlook in the process. It's not just surgery and you are done. The band is a tool that works only as well as you maintain that tool and use it. It won't do the work w/o your help.

Phyl thanks for your information on Proteins turning to sugar. Sorry it has taken me so long to thank you,but I have not been on for a couple of days. One nught I could not get on LBT at all.

Thanks Phyllser, I never looked at it like that - I will talk to her this week and ask some of my questions. I am looking at lap band only since I want the least invasive at this point in my life.

Long2Bthin -

Wow-

your "quest" is moving fast!

I've read about 6 month waiting periods and squabbles with insurance.

I had 2 knee scopes last year - so I hope that some of that pre-op testing is still valid.

I see a psychiatrist/therapist regularly as well as an endo.

I had a sleep study in early spring - sleep apnea (Yeah??)

My BMI is only 36 - but at least 1/2 dozen co-morbidities.

So I hope I can move along this process swiftly.