Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey 50 & over gang We have a new spot

Hey Everyone!

I haven't posted in a while, but things have been very hectic. My dad was diagnosed with stage 4 pancreatic cancer that has spread to his liver. I'm trying to work and run back and to to his house in my free time. Right now he is not in much pain but we are going to keep him at home and as comfortable as possible. The oncologist has called in hospice and they have been wonderful!!!!

It looks like everyone is doing GREAT!!! I'm so happy to have this group. Please hang in there with me 'cause I'm gonna need eveyone for support. Time to go to bed, I'll check back later..Love to all.....

Teresa

Just had my first sliming incident. food was stuck. The pain! Altho I cut my turkey burger into little pieces, I guess they weren't small enough. Maybe I ate too fast. I only WISH I had pb'd. The bites were stuck for about 10 minutes. Enough to make me remember.

So now I will stay on liquids for 24 hrs....longer?...to let the pouch heal.

I am going to have to make some changes. Maybe that's why the band works and we lose weight. We eat, have terrible pain that scares us, and are afraid to eat again!

Judy

Teresa--just read your post. sorry to hear about your dad. Keep strong and know that you are not alone.

Prayers sent your way....Judy

Yep, Judy from Buffalo!!!

I am really surprised that you could eat the day before surgery, even for my colonoscopy and hysterectomy I had Clear Liquids only. They want your bowel empty for most surgery because if it gets nicked--well you can imagine! My last meal can be Breakfast the day before, but no carbs at all, they reinforced that. That is pretty standard at Buffalo General. My sister had a gastric bypass and just told me she went for Chinese before her surgery.

You are right, follow your doctors orders, because each case is different.

Lucky you to get Pasta before the band!!

Have fun in Buffalo!

Just had my first sliming incident. food was stuck. The pain! Altho I cut my turkey burger into little pieces, I guess they weren't small enough. Maybe I ate too fast. I only WISH I had pb'd. The bites were stuck for about 10 minutes. Enough to make me remember.

So now I will stay on liquids for 24 hrs....longer?...to let the pouch heal.

I am going to have to make some changes. Maybe that's why the band works and we lose weight. We eat, have terrible pain that scares us, and are afraid to eat again!

Judy

What does pb'd mean?

Hi to the fifties group tonight. This is my last week of mushies and this is the first week I started getting hungry. Today I feel like I am starving. Trying to put this out of my mind but I am really hungry today and it is not head hunger. I have the problem of eating too fast also. I am trying to slow down for when I get a fill but I even drink Water like that. That for me is the hardest part. I am having a hard time with slowing down. Anyhow, I will be glad to go on regular food and see if I feel any more satisfied. I can eat way more than 3 oz at a meal. I can eat about a cup at meals. I haven't had a fill yet. I still have three more weeks to go before a fill. I am only weighing in on Wed now so I don't know how I did this week yet. The yogurt smoothies are no longer making me full. I love this band though. I can't wait for the next phase to see how that is. I have been walking 1.2 miles every day and yesterday I went to my pool and tread water for 30 minutes straight without touching the bottom or sides of the pool. Didn't feel like a workout until later on that night. :unsure: Beckyo

I was unable to eat 3 oz when I started soft foods, but as I got used to bite size, chewing more and eating slower, I was able to handle it. :smile2:

Eating slowly is always an issue for me... After last week's fill I gulped a few sips of Water the 2nd day after and , yuck, up it came. and the pain. I have been extra cautious the past few days.. but move forward..

Well, off to work for me, and it is raining... at least I had a great weekend.

I tried to post last week and ran into a problem getting on the board (Weds eve).

Last week I had a body composition analysis done using the Bod Pod. It only takes a few mins and gives you some really useful information about your body. The charts that are posted on the net (BMI, metabolic) are good but they only give you averages for other people of your age, gender, height etc. I wanted to get my own body measured so I could know exactly what was going on with ME. There are other types of tests out there but most of them have a higher degree of error. The Bod Pod matches the underwater testing that has always been considered the gold standard method. It gave me exact readings on total weight, total fat weight, total non-fat weight, body mass, body density. In addition to giving me my resting metabolic rate, it also told me how many calories my body consumes on sedentary, low active, active and very active days. I feel this is very helpful because it removes a lot of guess work and worrying for me. I now know that despite what anyone says – I am NOT losing muscle instead of fat. I have a very healthy muscle mass. I know exactly how much fat I have and will be able to go back and check to make sure that the weight I’m losing is fat. If I stall or gain a bit of muscle – I’ll be able to see (and not worry) that it is indeed muscle and that I’m not doing something wrong. I also know-- for sure – how many calories my body is burning under various conditions. The initial cost was $60 and subsequent trips will be less (although that may be because I’m part of a study). They also provided me with some individual counseling so I feel reassured that I’m doing OK. I just find it helpful because in the past – I have felt so discouraged when I don’t lose as fast as I think I should. Then when self proclaimed gurus start telling me that I’m dong this or that wrong, it only gets me more upset, confused and discouraged. Now I know that my body just decided to slow down and rest a while after losing 40lbs. Now I’m on the move again. I found out about it through my surgeons office. He is at a teaching hospital and they had a Bod Pod at the medical center. Here’s a link to info on the Bod Pod if anyone is interested.

Life Measurement, Inc. BOD POD

I'm filled up!!!! Just got home from my first fill. I found out more of what I have as to band, though my guess was right. I had a 14cc band because the 10cc one just didn't fit right but then the 14cc was too loose so he filled it during surgery with 4cc to make it basically a 10cc band. And today I got 3cc more in it. they are treating me like a 10cc band person they said. I had to drink some Water and wait in the waiting room to be sure I tolerated it and I was done. It hurt a little, my port is easily accessible she said though. Now I'm back to liquids for 4 to 6 hours, mushies tonight and solids tomorrow. That's the good news.

The bad news is they want to get an ultrasound of my gall bladder. I've had a dull ache on the right upper side and into the back. I guess it's common in rapid weight loss for gall bladder issues? If it is bad, my same lap band surgeon can remove it and insurance will cover that!

Teresa: You and your family are in my prayers. God bless you all as you go through this.

Judy in FL: Oh, Honey, my heart goes out to you. I haven't had that happen yet, but I have avoided ground meats, chicken, steak and shellfish so far (probably out of fear of them getting stuck.). It seems like it is a hard lesson to learn.

Long: It's scary what you said about a connection between weight loss and gall bladder problems, since I had my band on 6/10 and have lost about 42 pounds....yikes!

I got my first fill today...1.5 cc in a regular size Inamed band. Back to liquids for a few days---oh well...:confused_smile: Now I hope to lose more with this fill, since I've been stuck at this # for too many days...:smile2:

Nancy

Teresa: You and your family are in my prayers. God bless you all as you go through this.

Judy in FL: Oh, Honey, my heart goes out to you. I haven't had that happen yet, but I have avoided ground meats, chicken, steak and shellfish so far (probably out of fear of them getting stuck.). It seems like it is a hard lesson to learn.

Long: It's scary what you said about a connection between weight loss and gall bladder problems, since I had my band on 6/10 and have lost about 42 pounds....yikes!

I got my first fill today...1.5 cc in a regular size Inamed band. Back to liquids for a few days---oh well...:confused_smile: Now I hope to lose more with this fill, since I've been stuck at this # for too many days...:smile2:

Nancy

Girl, that is an awesome weight loss in a month. CONGRATS! I hope I can see that in a month. I am ready!

Nancy

Just curious, what are you eating since you have given up chicken and ground meats, fish?

Hey Rugman, that test sounds awesome!

Teresa, I am really sorry to hear about your dad. My dad is 89 and I worry about him all the time. I know this must be hard for you.

Everyone else is rocking on in bandland! Bandland is the happiest land on earth as far as I am concerned!

Charlene: Thanks, but I have to be honest. It has taken me one month, PLUS 2 weeks of Optifast, and 12 pounds of it took 6 long, hard, grueling months (while I waited for insurance approval and did everything I could to lose weight). Obviously, the band has made all the difference!

PJ: I haven't really "given up" ground meats and chicken (and steak and shellfish), but I haven't yet tried them with the band. I eat a lot of cheese, cottage cheese, eggs, fish (salmon, tilapia, tuna, etc.) and am hoping to expand my Protein horizons soon! I am sooo wary of a PB or getting stuck, that I have been very cautious about trying new foods, post-band.

Even though the band is not a quick fix solution, it is a wonderful tool, and I am so glad that I have it. I have a lot more to lose, but for the first time in my life, I believe those pounds lost are truly gone for good, thanks to Dr. Rehnke and my band!

Nancy