Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey 50 & over gang We have a new spot

:thumbup: Howdy ya'll, I have a question to throw out here to anyone that has a lapband and has been diagnosed with osteoporosis or osteopenia. Were you put on medication and if so which one, cause I have not been able to do any of the pills since they can't be cut up and the liquid scares the hell outta me, with all the warnings about burning the esophagus. You have to take these medications 1st thing in the am on an empty stomach with nothing but a little Water for at least 30 mins. I just picked up the liquid Fosamax from my pharmacy yesterday and was gonna try it this am, but thought 1st. I would drink the same volume of plain water and see how well it goes down.....glad I did cause it didn't, at least not for 5-10 mins.

So, anyways....there it is... suggestions? I have been taking Calcium and vit D for the past year, but don't know if it is doing me any good or not. I see my Dr. next month for another bone density test. I guess I'll know then right?

Thanx everyone for listening to me vent alittle. Joanie :o)

Hi Joanie,

Have you checked on this with your doctor? I'm no longer taking medication for osteopenia because after several years of Fosamax my bone density had improved to the point where I was no longer deficient. I have it checked every year or two to make sure I'm not going the other way. Taking Fosamax and the others is a great benefit to us, but there are risks and you are right in being careful. I would discuss this with both my primary care guy and also my LB surgeon and work something out with them. Since your pouch does not allow the usual fast-track they need to advise you about this medication. This is a very common medication for pre and post menopausal women - so lots of LB patients - docs should be able to help you out here.

Good luck.

Hi, new to the website and in hopes someone may be able to help.

I had surgery almost 3 years ago and to date have only lost 45 pounds.

I am 51 almost 52 yrs. old and am on anti-depressants and mood stabilizers.

I am always hungry although have a very difficult time eating solid foods, have only had 2 fills and have a lot of restriction except with the things, I should not eat...ice cream, chocolate, etc. I mostly eat mushies, such as instant mashed potatoes, ground meats etc.

Can someone out there help me. My doctors office suggested I join this website as I am at the breaking point. I want to be thin, but I feel like it will never happen.

Thanks,

Carol From Maryland:ohmy::thumbup:

Welcome Carol. I am sorry you are having a tough time. I am fairly new to this journey but sounds to me that you are eating too many mushy or slider fulls which isn't using the band properly as those go right through and then you are hungry. If you have a hard time eating denser foods perhaps you are over filled and would benefit from getting a little bit of an unfill. The denser foods will sit in your pouch longer making you feel full longer. Also, how much exercise are you doing? Hope that's of a little help and is just my newbie opinion, if I am off base I am sure someone will correct me.

Welcome Carol. I am sorry you are having a tough time. I am fairly new to this journey but sounds to me that you are eating too many mushy or slider fulls which isn't using the band properly as those go right through and then you are hungry. If you have a hard time eating denser foods perhaps you are over filled and would benefit from getting a little bit of an unfill. The denser foods will sit in your pouch longer making you feel full longer. Also, how much exercise are you doing? Hope that's of a little help and is just my newbie opinion, if I am off base I am sure someone will correct me.

Thanks for replying to me, I could use any advice you can give me.

I agree that I am probably not using the band properly eating only mushie foods, but I do have much trouble getting other foods down.

I am going to make an appointment at my doctors office very soon and see if by taking out some of the fill, this will help me.

Thanks again and Best of Luck to You, Everyone is different and I am sure you will do great!

Carol

I am always hungry although have a very difficult time eating solid foods, have only had 2 fills and have a lot of restriction except with the things, I should not eat...ice cream, chocolate, etc. I mostly eat mushies, such as instant mashed potatoes, ground meats etc.

Can someone out there help me. My doctors office suggested I join this website as I am at the breaking point. I want to be thin, but I feel like it will never happen.

Thanks,

Carol From Maryland:ohmy::o

:confused2: Wow, how frustrated you must be!! I get upset when I get stuck at the same weight, give or take a lb or 2, for a month at a time. My sister was banded Jan'07 and has had the same problem as you. She has only lost 30lbs. and has been the same weight, more or less, for almost a year. She too is quite upset. She just called me after seeing her drs dietician and they agreed she was not eating properly. Too big a bites and not eating slow enough. She too loves her ice cream and has a hard time staying away from it.

It sounds like your eating too many carbs to me. Do you think the problem is that you are eating too fast and not chewing well enough? How big are your bites? Do you walk or do any cardio?

Walking for 30 mins /day is a great cardio. but you can't just meander along, you have to walk at a fairly good pace, but not so fast that you have trouble breathing.

Keep in touch and I wish you luck, Keep trying! You can do it!:thumbup:

Joanie :crying:)

QUOTE!

Hi Joanie,

Have you checked on this with your doctor? I'm no longer taking medication for osteopenia because after several years of Fosamax my bone density had improved to the point where I was no longer deficient. I have it checked every year or two to make sure I'm not going the other way. Taking Fosamax and the others is a great benefit to us, but there are risks and you are right in being careful. I would discuss this with both my primary care guy and also my LB surgeon and work something out with them. Since your pouch does not allow the usual fast-track they need to advise you about this medication. This is a very common medication for pre and post menopausal women - so lots of LB patients - docs should be able to help you out here.

Good luck.

Joann

Not yet banded, but working on it! :thumbup: end quote!

Thanx for the advise! I am planning on talking to my LB surgeon and my gyn (who had originally ordered this stuff) next month.

I feel a little better knowing it actually worked for you.

thanx and I will let ya'll know what I find out from my drs.

Joanie :o)

phyllser--Sorry if the "guru" reference felt like it was pointed at the board-it was not. A young woman who works at my gym starts lecturing me every time I walk in the door. In addition there is a lot of conflicting information between different fitness websites I have been reading as I try to think about what the woman at the gym tells me. The woman gave me a strengths training routine that leaves me so tired that I can’t get through the rest of my work day. I decided to work with the aerobic machines, instead, until I can get into good enough shape to tackle the anaerobic machines. Also, I'm in physical therapy for neck, shoulder back problems and my PT is telling me not to do the heavy upper lifting at the gym for right now. The woman at the gym tells me every time I walk in the door about how I’ll never lose weight if I don’t build muscle on the machines. I have been worried about her comment that she thinks that the weight I have lost (48lbs) is mostly Water and muscle. I have been spending tons and tons and tons of hours on at different fitness websites trying to get a better handle on this issue from the people who see themselves as knowledgeable enough to write all these fitness and weight loss blogs. What I’m finding is they are contradicting each other—which just leaves me more confused. So then – I went to the medical research and I still find some conflict but also some good information about trends in research results. So –after a lot of worrying --- and a TON of reading/listening, I finally decided to just go have my body composition measured so I know for sure exactly what in the world is really going on in my body. I just thought I’d post the info on the board in case someone else was feeling as confused/ worried about what they were reading/hearing as I was.

Penny

Tell the lady at the gym to go jump in a lake - I have a trainer and didn't get him until I had lost most of my weight (still had 25 to go) mostly cuz I was embarassed to go to him at 250 - He told me that's what he is there for and yes muscle does burn more calories that doing just arobics but that being said you have to do both to be fit. When I got the trainer he wanted to put me on his diet (fyi he does have some medical back ground) told him I didn't need it as I was under a doctors care for that .. And Yes it is a proven fact that 99.9% of the diets out there are full of b.s. - diets period are full of b.s. - cuz when you go off them you gain the weight back - it's all about eating healthy and physical activity levels - Do what's best for you - do what makes you comfortable - tell that lady at the gym you are under a doctors care and you are doing what he advises - end of story.

This is from the self proclaimed Labpand Guru...:thumbup::lol: If you work your band the band will work.. :o:lol:

fyi - I also am the self proclaimed employee of the month too. Yes I am very full of myself :crying::lol:

Charlene: Thank you. I just hope the loss continues....with my huge amount to lose, I have to keep myself motivated!

Judy: What band do you have? Your fills are so much more saline than mine was...interesting. Since I've been doing pretty well, Dr. R's nurse thought he wouldn't give me a fill so soon, but I am happy he did.

Indio: Yeah, a few days of liquids is good for me! I do track my food intake on the daily plate; it averages around 700-800 calories/day when I am eating regular foods. I walk every morning and do aqua aerobics when I can get my lazy self down to the gym (not often enough, though!).

To everyone: congrats on all your hard work and success. This website is my favorite and even if I am too busy to post, I read it at least once a day (sometimes even after school!). You all help me keep my eye on the long run and remind me that this is doable, even for an old gal like me!

Thanks everyone,

Nancy

Thanks,

Carol From Maryland:ohmy::o

Welcome! You will get support Here. I am getting banded tomorrow. I don't know if I would have gone through it had it not been for joining LBT fifties. Everyone is so supportive and can give you good tips. Go back a few pages.....Phyllser was talking about a Pouch Test that can help get you back on track.:thumbup:

Thanks,

Hey Carol - Welcome - Warning Tough Band Love Advice (operative word being love)

1st they banded your tummy not your head - your band doesn't make your food choices nor does it exercise for you - it is only a tool to help you with your Portion Control. But as with anything else you can abuse this tool by eating slider foods (foods that slide right through the band) eating high fat & sugar items too.

This is not a diet- diets don't work to coin a phrase - it's really not about being skinny either - It's about being healthy (the skinny part is just icing on the cake) - to be healthy you need to eat good healthy foods - follow the band rules - Hard Protein first - then veggies - then starchs/carbs if any room - no drinking with meal - or after for at least 1/2 hr or what ever your doc says. 3 meals - 2 healthy snack (low fat - sugar free) - physical activities (walking - swimming - weight - dance whatever floats your boat and gets you moving)

I had major frickin surgery - I was 52 when banded - I have fewer yrs ahead of me than what's behind me and I want to extend the years I have left and I wanted to improve the quality of my life. So my head is totally in the game. IMHO 75% of the work is up to you and the band will do the other 25%..

I was told over and over again here on LBT by my 50+ ladies that the band was only a tool - So I knew going in that this had to be a LIFETIME LIFESTYLE change in my life. Also, I have the experience of all my other dieting efforts - and I am able to use the information I learned in Weight Watcher in helping me eat healthy (not diet) and exercise.

I eat healthy 98% of the time - I allow for treats 2% of the time - but those calorie are not in addition to my daily budget of 900-1200 but included in. I exercise 3-4 days a week (2 cardio - 2 weights) - I also keep a food diary (on my 6th book) where I track my calories & pt grms.

Attached is a sample menu of mine - it may help

I bought a scale that gives me all the info on whatever I am weighing - I used it alot in the being but now I know what a portion size looks and know most of the calories by heart of the foods i eat (I still pull it out when I am eating something different)

I eat off of a sandwich plate - use children's utensils - and have a little bowl that holds one cup.

I still eat out - Mexican or Chinese - but I eat 1/4 what I ate before - I eat minimum 1 cup per meal - usually 1 to 1/2 - but some nights it can be 2 cups.. I eat low fat - mostly sugar free - and I do eat carbs/starches I always have some form of starch with my dinner - usually 1/2 cup of rice.

I am more than willing to share - as I know how it feels to be the Fat Chick - and in my head I still have her - but before long she will be replaced by the new thinner & healthier chick and I want everyone here to share the joy in meeting and exceeding your goals and to feel so much better.

Ok you got the Janet's intro into banding 101 - Again I don't mean to offend or hurt feelings - but I truly do believe that as obese pple we make so many excuses - NO MORE EXCUSES - if you think you can't then you won't - If you think you can you will.

Just get your mind in the game - we are here for your support and most of the time when we think we are hungry we really aren't we want to soothe our nerves or whatever - I still fight this 1 yr out - I will be full from dinner but still want to eat mentally.. This is work - life is work - but you are so fricking worth the work.

We are all here for you..

Off my soap box (for now anyway:lol:)

you have learned well my jedi warrior :thumbup::lol:

Thanks,

It's true the band will not do all the work for you, but it has been said many times on the forum ( and I'm a believer) that if you are too tight, you'll stop losing. If you can't get down healthy solid Protein, (eating small bites slowly, chewing and not drinking for an hour) then you'll resort to slider, easy foods that are generally higher in calories.

I would try a SLIGHT unfill and see how it goes. If being at your current level of restriciton is not working for you, then trying something else can't hurt, right?

P.S. 45 pounds is a lot of weight ( although, I'm sure you want to lose more). Try carrying 2 large turkeys around for a few hours, or putting 45 pounds of rocks in a backpack and carry it around all day, you'll see just how much that is.

you have learned well my jedi warrior :thumbup::lol:

Oh cool, do I get a light saber sword or whatever those things were?? :o I'm trying to learn all I can from all of you further down the road than me. Cause I want to catch you guys at goal!

Oh cool, do I get a light saber sword or whatever those things were?? :frown: I'm trying to learn all I can from all of you further down the road than me. Cause I want to catch you guys at goal!

Yep you get one of those light sabers - Yes you will learn and then a year from now you will be paying it forward... That's how it work.:thumbup:..

And a little bit of freindly competitiveness is a good thing - On my Lucky #7 thread - I have my band daughter who was 28 and really banded in August (she's adopted :o) anyway - we were the same height weight etc and I she was my motivator/competition - I figured I was doing damn good keeping up with a 28 yrs old :crying: at my age...

Yep you get one of those light sabers - Yes you will learn and then a year from now you will be paying it forward... That's how it work.:o..

And a little bit of freindly competitiveness is a good thing - On my Lucky #7 thread - I have my band daughter who was 28 and really banded in August (she's adopted :crying:) anyway - we were the same height weight etc and I she was my motivator/competition - I figured I was doing damn good keeping up with a 28 yrs old :frown: at my age...

That's for sure!! I hope to keep up with you!

Speaking of competivenes, one of the things that keeps me motivated is I have 2 sisters. I see an opportunity to not be the fat sister anymore! That space is going to be vacant in the not so distant future! :thumbup:

Welcome! You will get support Here. I am getting banded tomorrow. I don't know if I would have gone through it had it not been for joining LBT fifties. Everyone is so supportive and can give you good tips. Go back a few pages.....Phyllser was talking about a Pouch Test that can help get you back on track.:thumbup:

Good luck on your surgery tomorrow. We'll be waiting to hear all about it when you are ready! Tomorrow you will officially be a 'bandster'!!