Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey 50 & over gang We have a new spot

Charlene: Thanks, but I have to be honest. It has taken me one month, PLUS 2 weeks of Optifast, and 12 pounds of it took 6 long, hard, grueling months (while I waited for insurance approval and did everything I could to lose weight). Obviously, the band has made all the difference!

PJ: I haven't really "given up" ground meats and chicken (and steak and shellfish), but I haven't yet tried them with the band. I eat a lot of cheese, cottage cheese, eggs, fish (salmon, tilapia, tuna, etc.) and am hoping to expand my Protein horizons soon! I am sooo wary of a PB or getting stuck, that I have been very cautious about trying new foods, post-band.

Even though the band is not a quick fix solution, it is a wonderful tool, and I am so glad that I have it. I have a lot more to lose, but for the first time in my life, I believe those pounds lost are truly gone for good, thanks to Dr. Rehnke and my band!

Nancy

You still deserve props for the loss. Even 20lbs in a month .....WOW!:confused_smile:

I just find it helpful because in the past – I have felt so discouraged when I don’t lose as fast as I think I should. Then when self proclaimed gurus start telling me that I’m dong this or that wrong, it only gets me more upset, confused and discouraged.

Test sounds very interesting and helpful,

but I don't think that "self proclaimed gurus"

was a fair statement. I don't think anyone here sets themselves up as a "guru" or an expert. We share our own personal experiences as well as what we've learned from others, both on this site and others, what we've been told by our health care providers, etc., and you're free to pick and choose what is helpful to you and disregard the rest. I don't think any of us are here to judge what someone else may be doing wrong. Any suggestions made are intended as a help and certainly not to discourage or criticize. Experiences others have shared often help me to gain insight that is helpful to me in my own journey.

Nancy--42 lbs!!! We're twins!

Isn't it funny how we all feel restricted at different amounts? My first fill (BTW, everybody, Nancy and I have the same surgeon) was 3.1 and two weeks later, went back and am now at 5.7 cc.

I think Dr. R gets a buzz from sticking in that needle--smiles the whole time I am saying Owwwww! (But I do think he's terrif)

my 2nd fill was last Thursday. Had a few bumpy days. Think that has past. still trying to keep to mushies since I had such an issue the first few days. All seems to be well :biggrin2: I keep to 1/2-3/4 cup per meal.. a far cry from the 2-3 cups I was eating before the fill.

Weigh on is on Wednesday morning, so anxious to see how it goes.

Vacation is next week, yippee!!! :smile2: :angry: :confused_smile: :crying:

Hey Everyone!

I haven't posted in a while, but things have been very hectic. My dad was diagnosed with stage 4 pancreatic cancer that has spread to his liver. I'm trying to work and run back and to to his house in my free time. Right now he is not in much pain but we are going to keep him at home and as comfortable as possible. The oncologist has called in hospice and they have been wonderful!!!!

It looks like everyone is doing GREAT!!! I'm so happy to have this group. Please hang in there with me 'cause I'm gonna need eveyone for support. Time to go to bed, I'll check back later..Love to all.....

Teresa

Teresa - Hugs & Prayer !!!! We are here for you !!!!

What does pb'd mean?

Productive burp - burp with food - sorta like throwing up without the stomach acid

I got my first fill today...1.5 cc in a regular size Inamed band. Back to liquids for a few days---oh well...:crying: Now I hope to lose more with this fill, since I've been stuck at this # for too many days...:angry: Nancy

Nancy - Congrats on your fill a day or two of liquids isnt bad after a fill heck my doc wants me to go back to whole post op diet 1 week each stage - too much I do Soups 1 or 2 days then soft and so on.. Are you tracking your calories??? How's your exercises??

Must be ignorant, but what's PB?

Nope not ignorant - just a newbie :confused_smile: I thiink it was my 1st question here on the 50 board when I joined .. see reply above to pj - you bp when you have eaten too fast - too big of a bite - haven't chewed - the food gets stuck and come back up... Slime is what your body produces to try and get the food down (really saliva) and it will bubble back up - right now I just ate a piece of watermelon too fast - I was sitting here typing and I slimed - had to go sip it out .. Ate too fast but didn't bp :smile2:

Ok I missed the guru statement -I will have to go back an read (I was busy this weekend hanging picutres - curtains - deep cleaning)

Congrats on both things 44 lbs that is really great. I hope you are feeling better on both accounts.

I just got banded on July 11 at the age of 58. So far all is well. Little gas pains but I'm sure it will all be worth it. Hope you have smooth sailing and soon the surgery will just be a memory.

Good morning. Well my first fill is working, down one this morning!!! All I ate yesterday though was a Protein bullet while on liquids and then could have mushies last night so had some refried Beans. eggs for Breakfast this morning and then at lunch I get to try some solid protein. I sure can feel a difference.

I am now going to go out and ride my new bike before it gets too hot out there.

Am getting anxious for them to call me to schedule that ultrasound of the gall bladder. If they don't call today I will call and see what's up and make sure I understood right that they were to call me and not vice versa.

phyllser--Sorry if the "guru" reference felt like it was pointed at the board-it was not. A young woman who works at my gym starts lecturing me every time I walk in the door. In addition there is a lot of conflicting information between different fitness websites I have been reading as I try to think about what the woman at the gym tells me. The woman gave me a strengths training routine that leaves me so tired that I can’t get through the rest of my work day. I decided to work with the aerobic machines, instead, until I can get into good enough shape to tackle the anaerobic machines. Also, I'm in physical therapy for neck, shoulder back problems and my PT is telling me not to do the heavy upper lifting at the gym for right now. The woman at the gym tells me every time I walk in the door about how I’ll never lose weight if I don’t build muscle on the machines. I have been worried about her comment that she thinks that the weight I have lost (48lbs) is mostly Water and muscle. I have been spending tons and tons and tons of hours on at different fitness websites trying to get a better handle on this issue from the people who see themselves as knowledgeable enough to write all these fitness and weight loss blogs. What I’m finding is they are contradicting each other—which just leaves me more confused. So then – I went to the medical research and I still find some conflict but also some good information about trends in research results. So –after a lot of worrying --- and a TON of reading/listening, I finally decided to just go have my body composition measured so I know for sure exactly what in the world is really going on in my body. I just thought I’d post the info on the board in case someone else was feeling as confused/ worried about what they were reading/hearing as I was.

phyllser--Sorry if the "guru" reference felt like it was pointed at the board-it was not. A young woman who works at my gym starts lecturing me every time I walk in the door. In addition there is a lot of conflicting information between different fitness websites I have been reading as I try to think about what the woman at the gym tells me. The woman gave me a strengths training routine that leaves me so tired that I can’t get through the rest of my work day. I decided to work with the aerobic machines, instead, until I can get into good enough shape to tackle the anaerobic machines. Also, I'm in physical therapy for neck, shoulder back problems and my PT is telling me not to do the heavy upper lifting at the gym for right now. The woman at the gym tells me every time I walk in the door about how I’ll never lose weight if I don’t build muscle on the machines. I have been worried about her comment that she thinks that the weight I have lost (48lbs) is mostly Water and muscle. I have been spending tons and tons and tons of hours on at different fitness websites trying to get a better handle on this issue from the people who see themselves as knowledgeable enough to write all these fitness and weight loss blogs. What I’m finding is they are contradicting each other—which just leaves me more confused. So then – I went to the medical research and I still find some conflict but also some good information about trends in research results. So –after a lot of worrying --- and a TON of reading/listening, I finally decided to just go have my body composition measured so I know for sure exactly what in the world is really going on in my body. I just thought I’d post the info on the board in case someone else was feeling as confused/ worried about what they were reading/hearing as I was.

Oh my gosh!! ... now I understand where you were coming from. You are going to have to come up with something to shut that ladies' mouth.. I mean, short of homicide!! :thumbup: Think of something to say to her that will get her off your back for once and for all!! Sounds like the testing you did was a good move to put your mind at ease. It sounds like you're doing everything right. Some of us just lose slower than others. Try to stop all the research on the fitness sites, etc., and rest in what you learned about your body via the testing you did. It's easy to get confused and discouraged if we're getting too much input from too many different and conflicting sources!

:thumbup: Howdy ya'll, I have a question to throw out here to anyone that has a lapband and has been diagnosed with osteoporosis or osteopenia. Were you put on medication and if so which one, cause I have not been able to do any of the pills since they can't be cut up and the liquid scares the hell outta me, with all the warnings about burning the esophagus. You have to take these medications 1st thing in the am on an empty stomach with nothing but a little Water for at least 30 mins. I just picked up the liquid Fosamax from my pharmacy yesterday and was gonna try it this am, but thought 1st. I would drink the same volume of plain water and see how well it goes down.....glad I did cause it didn't, at least not for 5-10 mins.

So, anyways....there it is... suggestions? I have been taking Calcium and vit D for the past year, but don't know if it is doing me any good or not. I see my Dr. next month for another bone density test. I guess I'll know then right?

Thanx everyone for listening to me vent alittle. Joanie :o)

I just got banded on July 11 at the age of 58. So far all is well. Little gas pains but I'm sure it will all be worth it. Hope you have smooth sailing and soon the surgery will just be a memory.

:thumbup:Just wanted to wish you luck...it's a wonderful journey and it will all be worth it.

Keep us posted on your progress.

Joanie :thumbup:)

:thumbup: My drs have all told me the same thing....cardio, cardio, cardio! Walking, swimming, best ways to take the lbs off. At least 30mins or longer works best.

Good luck, Joanie :o)

Hi, new to the website and in hopes someone may be able to help.

I had surgery almost 3 years ago and to date have only lost 45 pounds.

I am 51 almost 52 yrs. old and am on anti-depressants and mood stabilizers.

I am always hungry although have a very difficult time eating solid foods, have only had 2 fills and have a lot of restriction except with the things, I should not eat...ice cream, chocolate, etc. I mostly eat mushies, such as instant mashed potatoes, ground meats etc.

Can someone out there help me. My doctors office suggested I join this website as I am at the breaking point. I want to be thin, but I feel like it will never happen.

Thanks,

Carol From Maryland:ohmy::thumbup: