Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey 50 & over gang We have a new spot

I printed it up tonight.

Day 1 & 2: All liquids... Protein Drinks, etc, but LOW CARB

Day 3: Soft Protein... cottage cheese, canned fish, soft fish - grilled.

Day 4: Firm Protein.... ground meat, shellfish, scallops, salmon,halibut..

grilled, lightly seasoned.

Day 5: Solid Protein: White meat, poultry, steak

I will be banded Aug 4th. I'm enjoying this site so much. I have notes everywhere. My hubby walked in the other night and said what are all these notes you have stuck on this computer monitor. My question today is....What is the purpose for doing the pouch test?

I want to give you all a big THANK YOU for all your help getting me started and CONGRATULATIONS on all of your weight loss. WTG :cool:

Well I shouldn't have fries either, that's why it was my one cheat of the week. I only could eat 5 though as I felt that pressure in my chest that said you are full don't eat anymore.

I didn't like the shakes much either. I mostly went for the Isopure clear Protein drinks. But even before I didn't like milk shakes, etc.

I got a Wii Fit too,haven't been on it in a week or two, should get on so it could tell me I'm losing weight! Sometimes I do that balance test and I'm older and one day it said I was 34!! That was cool. Think it depends on if the one leg test is in there as I can't stand on one leg much it hurts my knee too much.

Since you said we were similar weights with similar to lose, are you tall too??? I'm 5'9 and am the shortone in the family. LOL

Just curious...what is a wii fit?

I will be banded Aug 4th. I'm enjoying this site so much. I have notes everywhere. My hubby walked in the other night and said what are all these notes you have stuck on this computer monitor. My question today is....What is the purpose for doing the pouch test?

I want to give you all a big THANK YOU for all your help getting me started and CONGRATULATIONS on all of your weight loss. WTG :)

Yeah, excuse my ignorance....but what is the purpose for a pouch test? Is it to get back on track?

Just curious...what is a wii fit?

Well first you have to have a Nintendo Wii video game counsel and a Wii is a more or less interactive video game, for example one game is bowling and as you 'throw the ball' with your remote the pins on the screen fall down. The Wii Fit is an addition to the Wii, it has a balance board to it. When you stand on this board it registers your weight, BMI, acts as a step for step aerobics, can do yoga, strength training etc. It's a lot of fun. We've come along way from the Pong game of my teen years! LOL

As for the pouch test, I believe it is to more or less get back on track, not sure though.

And someone else asked what PB is, I know it stands for productive burp. I've not had it happen yet so don't know how to describe it exactly but it's when you over fill your pouch and what you just ate comes back up more or less, I think.

Well I am off to go ride my new bike!!!!!!!!!!!! Wish me luck!! I am going alone, DH wanted me to ride more with him last night and I just need to get comfortable on a bike again after 25+ yrs and sortta wanted to do that alone.

Well first you have to have a Nintendo Wii video game counsel and a Wii is a more or less interactive video game, for example one game is bowling and as you 'throw the ball' with your remote the pins on the screen fall down. The Wii Fit is an addition to the Wii, it has a balance board to it. When you stand on this board it registers your weight, BMI, acts as a step for step aerobics, can do yoga, strength training etc. It's a lot of fun. We've come along way from the Pong game of my teen years! LOL

As for the pouch test, I believe it is to more or less get back on track, not sure though.

And someone else asked what PB is, I know it stands for productive burp. I've not had it happen yet so don't know how to describe it exactly but it's when you over fill your pouch and what you just ate comes back up more or less, I think.

Well I am off to go ride my new bike!!!!!!!!!!!! Wish me luck!! I am going alone, DH wanted me to ride more with him last night and I just need to get comfortable on a bike again after 25+ yrs and sortta wanted to do that alone.

I know about the Wii games, I played last weekend with at my son's house. Had so much fun playing with granddaughter. Didn't know Wii had something to exercise with. Wow...will check it out. tyvm

Anyway, she said that her reading into both procedures showed that the Lap band "doesn't work forever, like a bypass."

Just wondering, have you heard that? It almost sounded like after a while she thinks you take them out....??? The studies I've heard is that when you compare long term weight loss over several years, the Lap band is only a 5 - 6% less total weight loss than the bypass....but those statistics - if I'm remembering correct - go out maybe 5 years?? In the end, he will choose the procedure that fits his needs and lifestyle - so it doesn't matter - but I was just curious on what you all know! Thanks!

Hmmm... IMHO, the LapBand has much more potential to "work forever" than bypass if you are faithful to get fills when you need one. Bypass.. you can stretch your pouch and there's no provision for a readjustment. Either one you can eat "slider foods" and all the wrong things and sabotage your efforts. And, one of the BENEFITS of LapBand is that, yes, if necessary, you CAN have it taken out. Bypass is NOT reversible, and you lose all that absorption and are much more dependent on supplements to get the nutrients you need. I feel it's a much healthier choice.

Did someone ask about "PB".. productive burp. It's not quite the same as vomiting. Happens when you eat too much or too fast or something that just doesn't want to go down. I'm almost one year out and had it happen once on chicken... something I often have problems with.

My question today is....What is the purpose for doing the pouch test? :)

Pouch test... I think originally for bypass people to get them back on track. Some LapBand people, according to the "Living After WLS" website, use it to test if they need a fill. I sort of get that now. I am doing it partly out of curiosity, but mostly as a gesture of recommittment. Not that I feel I'd slipped in to bad habits, but wanted a new start. I'm almost at the one year point. What I have learned, as I enter day four of this adventure, is that I DO have pretty good restriction. After two days on liquids, even though I had only about 800-900 calories yesterday, I felt stuffed most of the day. I had 1/4 cup scrambled eggbeaters for Breakfast and was just beginning to feel hungry at noon time. Then I had 3 oz of tuna with a tbsp of Lite Miracle Whip and I could barely get it down. I felt kind of "stuck" for over 2 hours. Again, did not feel hungry at all until about 5pm. Then I had 5 1/2 oz of baked halibut and again felt stuffed most of the evening. I probably would have been well satisfied with 4 oz and should have stopped there but I have a tendency to eat what is in front of me which is kind of dumb! I finished off the tuna around 9 pm, but I felt so "full" all day long that I didn't get in all my liquids. Intend to do a better job with that today. This is my 4th day and I get to eat firmer Protein, like ground meat, so I have a small meat loaf ready to go in the oven. But, only protein... two more days. Looking forward to steak tomorrow... we're having a family get together. I will look the other way when the rest of the food is laid out and just enjoy my steak!! This is really a good renewing of my discipline!

I know about the Wii games, I played last weekend with at my son's house. Had so much fun playing with granddaughter. Didn't know Wii had something to exercise with. Wow...will check it out. tyvm

YES... I highly recommend the Wii Fit. I LOVE mine! The scale is very accurate and gives you your BMI. I'm not too good with some of the exercises because of my bad knees... can't get down on the floor, but I do whatever ones I can, walk in place instead of run, and I LOVE the balance exercises... soccer, skiing, tilt table, etc. On the Wii Sports, box, baseball, bowling, golf, tennis... do a little bit of each, but not every day. It gets me up on my feet and I always work up a good sweat so I'm burning calories!

I am so anxious to try a Wii Fit. if for nothing else to get my xercise age/actual age.....maybe I'll try to find one for my daughter for xmas, she has the Wii

I had fill #2 in Thusrday. now at 5cc in my 14cc band. Thought all was ok. had my liquids until today. but this morning I could not even swallow 1/2 cup of Water. I gasped and eventually threw it back up.. yuck.

Was extrememly careful, only liquids all day and so far feel bette, but do see a difference in my ability to drink too fast. So I guess this 1cc has givenme a new boost to restriction :)

I had fill #2 in Thursday. now at 5cc in my 14cc band. Thought all was ok. had my liquids until today. but this morning I could not even swallow 1/2 cup of Water. I gasped and eventually threw it back up.. yuck. Was extremely careful, only liquids all day and so far feel bette, but do see a difference in my ability to drink too fast. So I guess this 1cc has given me a new boost to restriction :biggrin:

I haven't had the experience of being too tight. I'm a little nervous about getting another fill... have my one year followup appointment on Wed., and may ask for a fill. I don't want that to happen. Most say to give yourself a "rest" for several days... keep up the liquids for another day or two.

I'm a newbie, my surgery date is August 4th. I have been reading and researching, trying to find out what to expect. Can someone explain the difference between Optima & Optifast? They are shakes right for the liquid diet that I will be on prior to surgery? Where can I find these? Thanks !!

I'm a newbie, my surgery date is August 4th. I have been reading and researching, trying to find out what to expect. Can someone explain the difference between Optima & Optifast? They are shakes right for the liquid diet that I will be on prior to surgery? Where can I find these? Thanks !!

the day before surgery, at least here in Buffalo is supposed to be Clear Liquids, not Protein Shakes. I think the Protein shakes are for after surgery. I guess it might differ between doctors, but I think it is CLEAR liquids the day before surgery.

I don't know about Optima, but Optifast is a product you can only get with a physician's prescription. It is only to be used under medical supervision. I'll be starting two weeks of Optifast prior to my surgery date, to shrink my liver. The day before I believe I'll be doing something else like clear liquids, but I don't know that for sure, yet. I got my Optifast right from the doctor's office, but when I went to their site earlier, I saw that you have to have an authorization number to order it from them, and you can only get that number from your doc.

Hope this helps!

Orea

Monday. I've been hungry a lot lately and finding out I can eat about anything. Well........I went into this 'last supper before my fill mode'. How stupid is that? My sisters called and asked if I wanted to meet them for lunch, we went to this mom and pop place that has awesome fried chicken so I got that. On the bright side I do have some restriction and could only eat one thigh about about 4 french fries, and I gave my Texas toast and gravy away. then I had to stop at Walmart for something for my new bike. right at the checkout were snack size bags of Fritos, my number one red light food, so I bought one, ate the whole thing then I read the label and that little bag was considered 4 servings!!!! OMG!! That's 600 calories, mind you I've been averaging 700-800. I'm over 1000 for the day. Then tonight I got more chicken this time nuggets from Chik Fil A. Just goes to prove, that the body is willing but the mind is weak! I just entered everything into my daily plate and it's not that horrible considering what I used to do, but is 1400 calories for the day. This stops tonight, tomorrow I will be a good little bander! I wish those dang Fritos didn't go down so easy! Glad I rode my bike this morning and burned some of those calories.

About the Optima and Optifast, sorry haven't heard of either one. Only had to do 2 days of clears before surgery. But many dr.s are different I'm finding out.

the day before surgery, at least here in Buffalo is supposed to be clear liquids, not Protein Shakes. I think the Protein shakes are for after surgery. I guess it might differ between doctors, but I think it is CLEAR liquids the day before surgery.
My surgery is Thursday, July 17. My new beginning.
I don't know about Optima, but Optifast is a product you can only get with a physician's prescription. It is only to be used under medical supervision. I'll be starting two weeks of Optifast prior to my surgery date, to shrink my liver. The day before I believe I'll be doing something else like clear liquids, but I don't know that for sure, yet. I got my Optifast right from the doctor's office, but when I went to their site earlier, I saw that you have to have an authorization number to order it from them, and you can only get that number from your doc. Orea

Okay... let me get my two cents in here.

From what I understand, Optima is a Protein Drink you can buy in most any store. I used it for a while but decided it was a little high in calorie count and switched to EAS Protein Powder which I buy at costco, but I"ve seen it at RiteAid, Alberstson's, etc. Optifast is apparently a multifaceted weight loss program including a variety of different Optifast products and supervised by a physician.

As for what you have or don't have prior to or after surgery, each doctor has their own way of doing things and it's best to follow your own physician's instructions. My doctor gave me no list of do's and don't for pre-surgery, just post-op instructions. Some doctors require two weeks of protein drinks prior to surgery, but, Judy, you're the first I heard that was told clear liquids only the day before surgery. I dieted aggressively for about 6 weeks prior to my surgery date, but DH took me out for a special spaghetti dinner the night before surgery!!

Judy, is that Buffalo NY??? I was born there & grew up in Cheektowaga. Heading back that way the end of the month to visit family.