Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey 50 & over gang We have a new spot

make sure to check with your DR about meds, my surgeon said no to NSAIDS and ibuprofen, only tylenol. so I cut out my 81mg aspirin, my BP meds aee already cut in half and I take lipitor. , your surgeon as well as the DR who prescribed them should be consulted

I recently went to the DR for burcitus, and they wanted to give me an anti imflammatory, told him I could not take them, so I ended up on a course ofprednisone for a week.

Always something to think about when putting meds or food into your body

thanks for the info. I will take my meds with me Friday. I need my bp meds. my insurance approved my lapband because of my bp. i am seeing a heart dr also because my bp was so high..i'm talking 190's / 90's . my heart dr knows i'm getting the band and he says great !! lap band dr knows about the bp problem. i trust them both so i will put it in their hands.

Hi everyone tonight. Today I did various things. Went for a mile walk tonight (man it was hard because it was soo hot). Then I came home got in the pool and tread Water for 45 minutes. Now I am really tired tonight.

JoannMarie, I also had to use a "Center of Excellence" for my surgery. I am in Springfield, ILLinois and I had the choice of going to Peoria, Illinois or St. Louis, Mo. so I don't think you are too far from St. Louis, are you? Just thought I would let you know that. PJ, I am also off 81 aspirin right now but my capsules get opened and go into a small cup and my premarin gets crushed and I mix it all together into some pudding and I take it that way. Denise, I will be glad when I get to have a first fill. I am on my last week of mushies and I am hungry. I hope when I go to regular foods, that it will help cause Dr. says four more weeks since I am doing well. But I am hungry this week. Well thats it for today. Good luck to all newbies and this band is really a good thing:thumbup:

Beckyo

I take celebrex and lots of other capsules. I take them one at a time with a lot of warm Water. It's pretty easy to feel them pass through the band and into the stomach.

My dr. has said over and over that our pouch is not the same as a gastric bypass pouch. As long as you flush it through the band, you can take any medication that you need. I switched to a smaller

size Calcium pill. My Vitamins are pretty big and I don't have a problem taking them at all. I did when my fill was really tight, and then I had to break them in half.

Beckyo, thanks for the COE information. I have found a couple of COEs here along the KS/MO line, and have contacts with both. It's still early in the game for me, as I have not had my surgeon consultation yet.

Denise, I am happy to hear the meds information. I hope my doctor is of the same opinion. DH and I were discussing my list of Vitamins and supplements yesterday and will begin the search for chewables, liquids, etc. My main concern has been Celebrex, as it goes a long way toward helping my joints and there is nothing else that works as well for me. It's reassuring to hear from you, Denise. You have done well with your band and continue to make it work for you. Reading your posts makes it easier for me to put up with the wait, and assures me I can do this! Thanks...

Janet--phily--and all--she DID start on my again this AM and I managed to stop her this time. I informed her that my fat-free mass is the same as when I was 220 and I have proof that I have lost 48lbs of FAT--and that I'm going to CONTINUE to do the treadmill until the pain on my left side subsides enough that I feel comfortable tackling the weight machines. She didn't like it but she did back away.

Hooray!! Good for you!!

A lot of factors that influence your metabolism can’t be changed -- a few of those are age, genetics and gender (well, gender can be changed, but not easily!). However, there are some things you can do to rev up your metabolism. First of all, drink lots of Water. Research suggests staying hydrated speeds up your metabolic rate. And lack of water can slow your metabolic rate. Exercise also gets your metabolism going. Cardio -- exercises that raise your heart rate to a target level, like jogging or aerobics -- ups your metabolism for several hours following your workout. And don't forget about flexing your muscles -- head to the weight room next time you hit the gym. If you increase your lean muscle mass, you increase your resting metabolic rate. That means you'll burn more calories throughout the entire day... even while you sleep! Another tip is to eat often during the day (just don't overdo it, of course!) -- frequent mini-meals keep your metabolism at peak performance. As for eating specific foods to raise it? Spicy foods, green tea, and high-protein foods are said to give your metabolism a little (but not significant) boost. One more thing -- EAT BREAKFAST! That will kick your metabolism into gear for the rest of the day. P.S. The less you weigh, the slower your metabolism. (This doesn't include metabolism-boosting factors like exercise.) Think about it -- the more weight you carry, the harder your body has to work. So if you're heading toward a weight-loss goal and hit a plateau, use these tips to get your metabolism working faster for you (sure beats eating less!).

I am basically on cruise control these days. I never lost weight quickly, but slow and steady. It was frustrating at first, but making up my mind that I wasn't going to lose anything if I ate junk was a break through. I was always surprised when the scale moved after doing nothing differently.

Great post, Denise!! Thanks! Things I hadn't heard,things I needed to be reminded of. I am a slow loser, too, but keep on pluggin' along~! I had my one year follow-up today and my PA was very pleased with my progress.. their official figures... minus 80 1/2 lb. My log shows a few more because my highest weigh was a couple of weeks before my initial appt with them. I had a fill today, too... another 1cc, so I have approx. 5.2 in my 11 cc band. On liquids for two days now, so just finished sipping on a Protein drink... took me 30 minutes because I made a real effort to take it slow.

Does anyone know how I will take my meds that are capsules? I take 2 blood pressure pills a day, one is a capsule, plus celebrex, which is capsule also. The others Premarin, daily baby aspirin will be crushed right? My pre-op appt is Friday morning, surgery is Aug. 4th.
I take celebrex and lots of other capsules. I take them one at a time with a lot of warm water. It's pretty easy to feel them pass through the band and into the stomach.

My dr. has said over and over that our pouch is not the same as a gastric bypass pouch. As long as you flush it through the band, you can take any medication that you need. I switched to a smaller

size Calcium pill. My Vitamins are pretty big and I don't have a problem taking them at all. I did when my fill was really tight, and then I had to break them in half.

I take a lot of pills, too..... BP meds, supplements and other Rx, and never have any problems... just take it slow and easy. I use Centrum Silver chewable for my Multivitamin. Good point about the bypass pouch. Didn't think about that.

12_5_24.gif

Good morning lovely 50's!! I am just in from my morning bike ride. I was a little discouraged today as I couldn't go as long or as far today. But I added a new hill and that kicked my butt plus went a tad bit later and the heat makes a big difference. I almost didn't go but said no you have to! I really need to build some stamina, it's pathetic. DH is going to get a bike so we can ride together so I want to get a little more stamina before then.

I'm doing great since my first fill on Monday. I can't believe the difference it has made. Last night I cooked chicken for DH & I, I had some thighs left in the freezer. I used to make 6 or 7 thighs, I'd eat 2 or 3 and he'd eat the rest sometimes one left over (if I made 7). Last night I made 3 as he wants to cut back too. And, I couldn't even eat one whole thigh. It was a big one though. I see my grocery bill going way down. Also DH is a hunter and has lots of game in the freezer, mostly birds. So I've been cooking him one of his birds and then having a small piece of fish etc. myself, it's a great time to need fewer groceries with the prices going up. And the best news of all I am down 2 lbs since my fill!!

Long - WAY TO GO GIRL :thumbup::thumbup: Great exercise and eating - You are doing GREAT - Keep it up

Sooverit, welcome to this site. You are right about these folks - it is a very supportive and welcoming group of people who post here. I, too, am not yet banded. However, I'm a Medicare patient, so my issues are a little different than yours. I have to work with a "Center of Excellence" - found a couple of those in my area - and I don't anticipate that I will have trouble getting approved - just meeting the requirements of the doctor who does the surgery for me. That is taking a little time, but should not be too bad as long as I play my part.

While I'm waiting, I've decided to do something to make me feel a little more proactive. I've signed up on Fit.day.com and have been tracking my food consumption and activity level, trying to keep my intake at a reasonable level. This makes me more aware of Portion Control primarily - and also makes me accountable for any foods that would be bad for me post banding. I'm not really thinking about losing pounds right now, though that would be a nice benefit. My primary reason for doing this is to get ready for what's coming and easing myself into that mindset. I'm also increasing my activity level. I have a recumbant bike at home and belong to a gym. I'm using the bike and gym to get in the habit of exercising on a regular basis - 4-5 days a week is the eventual plan. You have already established that habit, so you are definitely on the right track.

I, too, have been in a state of withdrawal. DD and her baby were visiting from Korea last month, and lots of pictures were taken. I keep wondering who that woman is in those photographs. I know I was there, but that can't be me. It is. It's very disheartening, and I sure understand how you are feeling. Please find something you can do to help you be pro-active while you wait for Cigna. You can't control the insurance company, but there may be something about your current situation that you can control and that will make the wait more tolerable.

Everyone here talks about banding our brains in order to change our mindset and habits. There is a lot to that. For me, I think the tracking and exercise now will help me meet that challenge later. I hope that works for you, too.

A plug for another thread: Indiogirl is the mentor on one of the new mentoring threads just started a couple of months ago on LBtalk. I found it a couple of days ago - spent an afternoon reading all the old posts - and it is great. I highly recommend it.

I meant for this to be a "short" reply - too late. Sorry.

JoannMarie - You are too sweet :) I want all my 50 + sisters to feel as good as I do right now - you guys just don't understand how much our weight is/was weighing us down...

orea15---Thanks for that great posts. When I finally went into the research lit -- I found some good studies that back up that perspective. Thanks!

Beckyo---WAY TO GO!!!! 19lbs is awesome!

Janet--phily--and all--she DID start on my again this AM and I managed to stop her this time. I informed her that my fat-free mass is the same as when I was 220 and I have proof that I have lost 48lbs of FAT--and that I'm going to CONTINUE to do the treadmill until the pain on my left side subsides enough that I feel comfortable tackling the weight machines. She didn't like it but she did back away.

Denise - I'm glad to hear to say that about being able to eat what you want and you are still dropping weight. I was thinking about you because I remember you said your resting met was low. Mine came in at 1234 and I was trying to remember yours. I think it was around the same as mine? According to the charts I see on the net -- it looks like mine is about 200 cal below average--so---I just have to be mindful of those 200 calories. Also---You're info about the pre-banding strengths training was very useful. I do totally agree with you, Janet and others that strengths training is excellent and that both types of exercise really do 2 different things. I definitely do want to work it in at some point. I think it would be terrific. I just need to start it when I feel I can --- and I also need to start it slow and increase in a way that doesn't cause pain or leave me feeling drained all day.

I have decided that I'm going get to goal---get in physical shape (weights) and then treat myself 56 year old body to a rafting trip down the Grand Canyon next spring!!!

Thanks again everyone!

Penny - I am glad you stuck up for yourself WTG :thumbup: Love this

I have decided that I'm going get to goal---get in physical shape (weights) and then treat myself 56 year old body to a rafting trip down the Grand Canyon next spring!!!

You will get there with this mindset - Keep it up and stick around we want to share in all your acheivments...

JoanneMArie

do you mean the over 50 LTtalk, I love Indio, she ius such an inspiration

Lynn - you are to kind too - I just like to keep it real and I think us 50+ girls really get that this is it for us that we have to get healthy if we want to enjoy our grandkids and hopefully some great grandkids

The new thread is called "Available LapBand Buddy/I'm Here to Help" Indio is the mentor, and many new and struggling bandsters have gone there to ask her advice. You are right - Indio is a great inspiration and dispenses tough lapband love with the definite emphasis on "love". She has great insight into the problems all of us face with weight issues, and is happy to share everything she has learned about this journey. The fact that she has been so successful makes it hard to ignore or dismiss her advice. Check the homepage and look for the new mentoring threads. You could also find other threads that will help if you are new or struggling with weight loss/banding issues.

Please do IndioGirl a favor and read the pages of previous posts so she does not have to cover the same ground over and over. Whatever questions you might have just may have been addressed in previous posts.

Thank you, IndioGirl :thumbup:

JoannMarie - Thanks again - I know your struggles - I still have mine - tomorrow is my 1 yr anniversay and my food addiction is not cured - it's under control today but I am very much aware that it can sneak back into my life - so I stand guard

- I am at goal which I didn't beleive was possible even a year ago - my original goal was 170 then moved it to 160 and now I am 150 and as I have said a million times before if I can do this so can everyone else... I am no diff that the rest of you -

I just don't have the words to express how good I feel - I got into a little tiff with some 25 yr old chick who was more concerned with the scars and if she could wear a bikini - I thought she was a bit superfiocal and that the band was all about her bf (even though he accepted her as she was)

Anyway - I tried to explain to her that for me the band was about extending my life - the couple of scars weren't even factored into me having the surgery or not - what's a couple of little scars - imho she is/was superficoual - ya the looks and size 6's are icing on the cake - but that I am so much stronger (physically) I feel 10 yrs younger and just feel 100% improved and empowered 0 and wonder why I wasted so many years being fat...

I really want you all to share in this great feeling - as the older ones I think we appreciate life a little more as we know that tomorrow isn't promisssed - and we want those extra years that we can have by getting the weight off..

No she means IndigoGirl's thread under that Mentor board. She has been so gracious to offer mentoring to those that need it as have others. Indigo has helped me a lot.

Yes - Long is my jedi warrior in training :confused:

Hi everyone tonight. Today I did various things. Went for a mile walk tonight (man it was hard because it was soo hot). Then I came home got in the pool and tread Water for 45 minutes. Now I am really tired tonight.

JoannMarie, I also had to use a "Center of Excellence" for my surgery. I am in Springfield, ILLinois and I had the choice of going to Peoria, Illinois or St. Louis, Mo. so I don't think you are too far from St. Louis, are you? Just thought I would let you know that. PJ, I am also off 81 aspirin right now but my capsules get opened and go into a small cup and my premarin gets crushed and I mix it all together into some pudding and I take it that way. Denise, I will be glad when I get to have a first fill. I am on my last week of mushies and I am hungry. I hope when I go to regular foods, that it will help cause Dr. says four more weeks since I am doing well. But I am hungry this week. Well thats it for today. Good luck to all newbies and this band is really a good thing:thumbup:

Beckyo

Becky it will get better when you get to regular food - drink your water

it's 9:49 and 105 here in the desert - thank God we have a/c :biggrin2:

Great on your exercise !!!

~! I had my one year follow-up today and my PA was very pleased with my progress.. their official figures... minus 80 1/2 lb. My log shows a few more because my highest weigh was a couple of weeks before my initial appt with them. I had a fill today, too... another 1cc, so I have approx. 5.2 in my 11 cc band. On liquids for two days now, so just finished sipping on a Protein drink... took me 30 minutes because I made a real effort to take it slow.

I take a lot of pills, too..... BP meds, supplements and other Rx, and never have any problems... just take it slow and easy. I use Centrum Silver chewable for my multivitamin. Good point about the bypass pouch. Didn't think about that.

12_5_24.gif

OMW Phyl - pouch test now this.. and 1 whole cc - that's big fill..

Congrats on your 85 lbs (girls I know that by her scale she has lost 85 in the last year she's a Lucky #7 with me and lives near me in the winter - we have met in person :lol:)

Ok prayer request - good thought request - coming..

Denise & Phyl know the story - since they have been here the last yr

Last yr I had to have a mamo prior to get my band - well after surgery I had to go back in for a biopsy - it was ok - then in March I had to go in for a six month ck mamo for my right booby - it was ok - well yesterday I had to go for my annual mamo - well got a call this afternoon - more caclicfuations that they want a closer look at and something that they may want to look at with an ultra sound (lump) - I am not too to worried but a little rattled that I have to go back... So please keep me in your prayer & good thought - I go 7/23 at 7:45 - and I will let you all know as soon as I know - it's most likely nothing - just a precaution..

Ok I really gotta get off this computer - I have been up since 4:30 and oh ya one more thing - the guy who works at the gym behind the counter (i think he's a manager) he said Hi Skinny - OMW THAT JUST MADE MY DAY..

Ok I really got to go - 5 am will be here too soon - talk to you all tomorrow..

And again - thank you ladies for all your kind words - you all help me as much as I hellp you- So thanks to all of you for being my band sisters..

Hugs

oh ya - I am to tired to do spell ck - and so if the spelling police doen't like it - so be it... :lol::lol::lol:

Denise, I am happy to hear the meds information. I hope my doctor is of the same opinion. DH and I were discussing my list of Vitamins and supplements yesterday and will begin the search for chewables, liquids, etc. My main concern has been Celebrex, as it goes a long way toward helping my joints and there is nothing else that works as well for me. It's reassuring to hear from you, Denise. You have done well with your band and continue to make it work for you. Reading your posts makes it easier for me to put up with the wait, and assures me I can do this! Thanks...

You are so welcome! People like you are the reason I stay on this thread. I think losing was harder for me because our metabolisms slow down as we get older. I was so sure I would be one of the only people the band wouldn't work for. I continue to be surprised how perfectly it works. Tonight I had a pretty small piece of meatloaf. Now that's really not a "hard" Protein but for some reason, I was so full all evening, I couldn't even think about an evening snack. I love it when

my band controls my snacking!

I have tried not to take my celebrex the last few days because it's so expensive and my back is very painful tonight. I agree, celebrex works like nothing else. Don't worry. You can take it. Warm things keep the band open. Just take it with lots of warm Water.

Janet, you're in my prayers!

Phyl, I loved that article. I wish I could take credit for it. If anyone else doesn't know about hungry girl

it's hungrygirl.com and they send great emails about new foods to try, and interesting articles to read about weight loss. It's a great web site.

Anyone else I have missed, I am with Janet. It's late at night and it's getting harder for me to fit in computer time but stay encouraged that the band will change your life!

Janet - will definitely keep you in my prayers. I also went through the same issues a few years ago, al ended up well, but still cringe every year when I have the mamo done. beisde being a procedure I am not looking forward to I know the benefits of it and always make sure I go. Good Luck.

Thanks Denise & Lynn - Yep it's most likely nothing - but it's still just a little bothersome between that and my tooth - I woke up at 4:20 this morning...

Well today is my 1 yr band anniversary - and guess what - the scales have moved again (they haven't really moved since June 26 - well ya they did upwards after my trip to vegas but I never count that :))

I am only .4 away from having a normal bmi - my bmi right now is 25.4 and normal is 25... Great Anniversay present..

See the band does work - if you do the work and I am proof that even us 50+ can get to goal weight - 1 year ago I never really thought I could get to this weight (haven't been in the 140's since my early 20's) but here I am.. Eating healthy and excercise are key... Along eith the support, freindship and encouragement from all you here on LBT..

Ok folks, I need some information or advice. I don't post often but am on here everyday reading all the news. I am 64 yrs old, was banded May 21, 2008, have lost 27 lbs as of this morning. BUT, I am wondering if what I'm going thru or doing is normal. I had my first fill June 2, (2.5cc) and the only time I felt any restriction was a couple of days later at a BBQ. Now, I can eat, take all my meds at one time (approx 7 tablets) and eat anything. Last nite for dinner I ate cube stead (4 ox) creamed potatoes, brocolli and cauliflowr steamed and a slice of garlic toast. Had no problems, but am concerned that it is still to much to be eating at one time. I quit when I started feeling satisfied, but was not really full. Does it sound like I need another fill? I am losing about 1/2 to 1 lb a week. Due to foot and knee problems, my exercise is limited. Any advice? :)

Good Day 50s!

I have been keeping busy working and posting on the June-Bug thread, but I have been reading all the post here.

I am doing good with the band and go back for my 2nd fill on Friday. I have really struggled with the eating thing this week and finally realized that I had to stop drinking! No! I am not a boozer... I mean drinking with my meals! I would soak that food right up and it would slip right past my band! I was making everything into a "slider". :thumbup:

Now I am back on track, thanks to a few of my fellow June Bugs :lol:(aka Long2bthin and boch) and all the post on the fifties :frown: (aka IndioGirl, Phyllster, AthinnerDenise). I ate really slow and low carb yesterday and dropped the lb I was trying to gain back! :thumbup:

I have set some short term goals! To be in onederland by Sept 1 (12 lbs) That is about 1.5 lbs per week. I know I can do it!

Look for me on this thread more! I enjoy the June thread, but I really relate here and only have a few months left in the 50s! YKES! My second goal is to be at (or very close) to goal by my 60th birhtday (Feb 19) that is 38 weeks away! :biggrin2:

My life has gone in 20 year cycles! The first 20 were spent single and fit!

The second 20 years were spend married and :thumbup: unhappy, but raised my kids and educated them !:lol:

The third 20 years have been single again and working on myself! I returned to college, traveled the world, lost my mom and dad, moved back to my home-town and started teaching again!:confused:

I don't know what to expect from the next 20 years! But, I do know that I am going to be healthy! and fit! and happy!

I have been given a dose of "magic" with the band! That "magic" is called the band! It will be my sword to fight the evils of past bad habits!

I will use the sword to cut away the girth that the past 59 years have left in their wake! I know the band is not "magic" in itself! I have to use my will to make it work! It is done!

:) How is that for drama! LOL!

Thanks for listening and all the wonderful support! :lol:

Ok folks, I need some information or advice. I don't post often but am on here everyday reading all the news. I am 64 yrs old, was banded May 21, 2008, have lost 27 lbs as of this morning. BUT, I am wondering if what I'm going thru or doing is normal. I had my first fill June 2, (2.5cc) and the only time I felt any restriction was a couple of days later at a BBQ. Now, I can eat, take all my meds at one time (approx 7 tablets) and eat anything. Last nite for dinner I ate cube stead (4 ox) creamed potatoes, brocolli and cauliflowr steamed and a slice of garlic toast. Had no problems, but am concerned that it is still to much to be eating at one time. I quit when I started feeling satisfied, but was not really full. Does it sound like I need another fill? I am losing about 1/2 to 1 lb a week. Due to foot and knee problems, my exercise is limited. Any advice? :)

Sunshine Congrats on your 27 lbs - that's 9 lbs a month - if you are losing you are doing good - but what you discribed above for dinner seems like alot - but again you don't say how much veggies - tatoes and bread you actually ate.

It really depends on what you are comfortable with as far as the tightness of your band - for me I want to eat at least 1 cup per meal - some like being so tight they can only eat 1/4 or 1/2 c per meal..