Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey 50 & over gang We have a new spot

Good discussion about Constipation.< /span>

I've had it most of my life with it worsening these last 2 years.

I had a colonoscopy - everything's ok in that department.

A nutritionist recommended Miralax last year and it's been my "plumber's helper" ever since.

I add 1/2 cap to a half gallon of Water (with a small splash of juice for flavor) each morning when I sort my daily meds allotment.

My liquid diet starts Monday - but right now I'm constantly tired and feeling a bit dragged out.

I hope it's just the stress of my separation and the anxiety of the upcoming surgery.

My husband (what-oh-what should I call him at this stage??)

is a remarkably level-headed gentleman in regard to the surgery and the emotional aspect of it all and has been the "friend" that I wish he would have been in the past - so that's a mixed blessing.

Meanwhile I just want to do this right and eventually get some of my health back (physical AND mental)

So - is it normal to be tired at this stage?

Is there a miracle herb/mineral/drink/supplement?

I find walking helps with my fatigue. It kinda cleans out the cobb webs in my mind. Considering all that you are going through, fatigue is probably normal. Establishing an exercise program before your surgery will help you. I started walking 6mos before surgery. I don't go fast, but just moving helps.

:w00t:Well it's going to be swim suit time again...and I hate it.

I haven't lost anymore weight in almost 18months...there ...I finally admitted it.

I've still lost about 70 from my highest weight but I've just settled in at this weight. I pb with hard protein...then am hungry and eat the wrong thing...I STILL haven't learned to slow down and CHEW CHEW. I guess I'm afraid if I chew things that small I can pack more in.

My problem is my saggy baggy arms!!! I can hide some of my backside with the skirts on my bathing suit but nothing will hide this...YUK:cursing:

Does anyone have a solution in exercise for these bat wings?

The 50 thing and having been fat all my life is the main factor in my skin not shrinking from the previous weight.

I hope everyone is doing much better than I am at this point.

Ok...I got my whining in today..thanks for listening.

I have a friend wqho is taking boxing. It has helped her arms immensely, muscle definition and all. but not too much muscle.. she is so excited to have some solution to her flapping upper arms. I have done some weight lifting and that is starting to help a bit.

I have the biggest issue with my tummy flab. I look like i have 2 stomachs. the lower one that hangs.. and the one around my ribcage. can't wait to get a Tummy Tuck for resolution, I know all the exercise in the world will not be a total solution, but a great help

I am in Arizona visiting my dad and using library computers so I won't be posting as much. I can't make it to the library every day.

I use the Miralax too. I use it every other day instead of every day. I drink a ton of Water but the Miralax still seems to be necessary.

Househuntress,

Unfortuantely exercise might help the 'batwings' but I dont' think there is anything that will totally get rid of them besides surgery. I do lots of sculpting with exercise bands on my Power 90 workouts that I do, I can see it tightening parts of my arms and some more muscle definition but if I hold my arm out I still have the sag.

As for the PBing and then eating wrong things vs. chewing smaller and being able to pack more in thinking, here's my thought. (and I hope it comes out okay it's not meant to be mean and is said in love). So what is worse? What you are doing now isn't working, you admit you then eat the wrong things. Why don't you take a chance and change things up and do the small bites and chew chew chew? That is how the band is meant to work. You'll be amazed at how quickly small bites can fill you up. Also all the time taken to chew chew chew slows down your eating and gives your body a chance to tell your brain you are full, they say it takes 20 min to get that message to your brain. If you still can't get hard Protein down by chew chew chew, then you might be too tight and need some fill out. You've come so far with your 70 lbs, so you have proven you know what to do. I am finding now that I am longer out from surgery that it gets easier to fall away from the band rules that I was so strict with in the beginning. I think time makes it easier to get lax, we get confident in what we are doing and it gets easier at times to throw caution to the wind. Remember that post op excitement and draw upon that. ARe you exercising? If not, start, and if so, increase it. Before you know it, you'll be on that losing road again! Good luck to you, you have come this far, you can go all the way. As for the swimsuit, my thought as I bought my new tankini for my cruise this year is I'd rather be in that suit with my 'batwings' than in the size I was last time with the fat all over my body.

Long2bThin,

Thank you so much for this post. I too have stopped losing. But as you mentioned it is so easy to "get away" with things that you know you shouldn't do. My down fall has been alcohol. I stayed away from it in the beginning as told, but during the holidays I had some wine and it was okay. But then after the holidays, I still had wine. I was laid off from my job after 15 years and I was feeling sorry for myself. Who wants to hire an old lady?

I am going to do what you suggested. I am going to remember how I felt post op and get that enthusiasm

back. I know I can do it.

Thanks again.

Lone Star Loser

Househuntress,

Unfortuantely exercise might help the 'batwings' but I dont' think there is anything that will totally get rid of them besides surgery. I do lots of sculpting with exercise bands on my Power 90 workouts that I do, I can see it tightening parts of my arms and some more muscle definition but if I hold my arm out I still have the sag.

As for the PBing and then eating wrong things vs. chewing smaller and being able to pack more in thinking, here's my thought. (and I hope it comes out okay it's not meant to be mean and is said in love). So what is worse? What you are doing now isn't working, you admit you then eat the wrong things. Why don't you take a chance and change things up and do the small bites and chew chew chew? That is how the band is meant to work. You'll be amazed at how quickly small bites can fill you up. Also all the time taken to chew chew chew slows down your eating and gives your body a chance to tell your brain you are full, they say it takes 20 min to get that message to your brain. If you still can't get hard Protein down by chew chew chew, then you might be too tight and need some fill out. You've come so far with your 70 lbs, so you have proven you know what to do. I am finding now that I am longer out from surgery that it gets easier to fall away from the band rules that I was so strict with in the beginning. I think time makes it easier to get lax, we get confident in what we are doing and it gets easier at times to throw caution to the wind. Remember that post op excitement and draw upon that. ARe you exercising? If not, start, and if so, increase it. Before you know it, you'll be on that losing road again! Good luck to you, you have come this far, you can go all the way. As for the swimsuit, my thought as I bought my new tankini for my cruise this year is I'd rather be in that suit with my 'batwings' than in the size I was last time with the fat all over my body.

Amen! We all need the "talk". I know what you mean about getting lax. And you are right about the chew , chew , chew......when I slow down I eat alot less. We are all in the same boat. 70lbs is awesome. Change things up...you will lose.

Long, I went to the back dr. I am getting an injection in my back next week. I just hope I don't gain weight from it. The doctor said the walking is good , but my core muscles are very weak from all the abdominal surgeries. I must start working on my core. So, I bought one of those VQ Action chairs. You can sit and do resistance training. I tried standing and doing the bands, but it makes my back hurt. I hope this helps.

I find that I chew more if I actually put my fork down, Otherwise without concentrating on chewing I will tend to try to put more into my mouth.

Amen! We all need the "talk". I know what you mean about getting lax. And you are right about the chew , chew , chew......when I slow down I eat alot less. We are all in the same boat. 70lbs is awesome. Change things up...you will lose.

Long, I went to the back dr. I am getting an injection in my back next week. I just hope I don't gain weight from it. The doctor said the walking is good , but my core muscles are very weak from all the abdominal surgeries. I must start working on my core. So, I bought one of those VQ Action chairs. You can sit and do resistance training. I tried standing and doing the bands, but it makes my back hurt. I hope this helps.

Great, I hope it helps your back. they say the stronger we can get our core and our abs the more it helps the back. Have you ever tried an exercise ball?? Not sure what that would do for a back if it would help it or hurt it but it forces you to isolate those muscles more.

I'm finding lately that my restriction is really varying from day to day. Some days I think I am almost too tight and others not so much. Our weather has been almost 80 one day and in the teens another. I'm starting to wonder if weather makes a difference.

Just went to Victoria's Secret and am the proud owner of 2 new Ipex bras, they are usually $45 each and they had them 2 for $49 plus I got a coupon for $10 a $50 purchase. I threw in a pair of $3.99 panties to put the total over $50 but figure I got those for free plus still got $6 more off. The store I went to was right next door to the Lane Bryant I used to shop regularly in. It felt so good to walk past it and go into Victoria's.

:w00t:Well it's going to be swim suit time again...and I hate it.

I haven't lost anymore weight in almost 18months...there ...I finally admitted it.

I've still lost about 70 from my highest weight but I've just settled in at this weight. I pb with hard protein...then am hungry and eat the wrong thing...I STILL haven't learned to slow down and CHEW CHEW. I guess I'm afraid if I chew things that small I can pack more in.

My problem is my saggy baggy arms!!! I can hide some of my backside with the skirts on my bathing suit but nothing will hide this...YUK:cursing:

Does anyone have a solution in exercise for these bat wings?

The 50 thing and having been fat all my life is the main factor in my skin not shrinking from the previous weight.

I hope everyone is doing much better than I am at this point.

Ok...I got my whining in today..thanks for listening.

Hi Househuntress--My LB nurse told us that she keeps 2 cans of greenbeans by her recliner. At night when she is sitting and watching TV, she gets her cans and and lifts them up and down at her sides to tone her arms. She has lost 90 lbs. and looks great. I've not tried this, but it makes sense. I really don't think our wings will completly disappear without surgery. For myself, I would rather have some saggy, but toned, wings rather than have a scar under each upper arm. If you ever find a solution to this matter, please let us all know. You have done great by losing 70 lbs. I've lost 40 and am at a standstill. I have to work hard not to chew quickly, too. I have found that if I'm really hungry, I tend to eat fast. Then I remember what I'm supposed to be doing and slow down. Maybe part of the answer is to eat when you are hungry and not when you are ravenous. My Dr. said to only eat when you are hungry and then do it slowly. I think I am going to put a note in my plate reminding me to EAT SLOWLY!

Good Luck and let us know how things are going

MiMI(I'm from TEXAS too)

Edited by mimi 22
Placement of quote

Tomorrow is day one of Pre-Op diet.

I'm addicted to needlework - ALL kinds from exotic embroideries to common sock knitting.

In addition to this LBS - my New Year's resolution was to pursue my love of needlework and by taking a class each month and absorb as much practical and historical data on my own.

Last month was a "red work" class, last week was "crazy quilting, today is hand-piecing and I'm preparing to start teaching all levels of knitting and crochet in my home by mid-summer.

New body - new outlook - new life - new focus.

So - I'm determined to use the energy and passion and concentration inherent in embroidery and hand work to help with this transformation.

It's the focus on "process" and enjoying the journey.

Meanwhile -

after today's class I'll have a nice shopping trip for the "vittles" needed for the full-liquid diet that starts tomorrow.

smoothie maker, juicer, food processor all polished up and ready to make magic out of mush.

And -

to complete the drama -

hand embroidered tablecloth, crystal goblet and silver baby spoon by the big kitchen window overlooking a bird feeder and the returning daffodils.

I too have problems with Calcium. I take Miralax everyday. My doctor recommended it. It cost about 21 bucks for a 30 day supply. I mix it with Water.< /span>

If you belong to costco, you should buy it there. They just ended a promotion with $6 off the dual pack. Two of the 30 day supplys cost $24.99? there. (came to $19.50 about with the coupon) for two of them.

Tomorrow is day one of Pre-Op diet.

I'll have a nice shopping trip for the "vittles" needed for the full-liquid diet that starts tomorrow.

Smoothie maker, juicer, food processor all polished up and ready to make magic out of mush.

If you are on full liquids you probably cant have refried Beans. I had a fill yesterday, so yesterday was liquids only and today mush. When you do get to mushy foods, go to a place like Taco Bueno and get a cup of refriend beans with melted cheese. Not low calorie, but better than just liquids.

I finally got another fill. The doctor said my pouch is a little stretched, that I am eating a bit too much at a time, to cut back. Just a little she said. My pouch is the same width as my band right now and she prefers it smaller, so smaller portions. ... for those worried she would overfill me or that I was already overfilled, she gave me another .4 cc only in my 10 cc band, hardly a fill, but I knew from before she would be conservative.

The doctor's mom was there who hadnt seen me since my first fill and we had such a good talk and laugh, and she was like all congrats making me feel good. I hate paying the $200, but I think it doesnt hurt to see the doctor and have her look at my band and pouch to make sure everything is how she wants it to look. Yea tomorrow I can eat regular food again, just not as much at a time she said. (and I am going on a cruise in one week, yikes).

I'm not sure what I did to make my response skip down so far---sorry:sad:

The posts are in posting time sequence, so when you post it will always be the last post in the thread .... until someone else posts.