Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

14 hours ago, kla7403 said:

I had my surgery yesterday. Woke up in my room to kinda bad gas pains I’m my lower stomach. I was given pain medicine and it helped a lot . Also burping as much as I could really made a difference. Feeling much better this morning just tender and little tinges of pain here and there

You are doing much better than I am. Today I was taken to radiography so they can test if there are any leaks. That experience was very painful due to the positioning but there are no leaks so I can start eating. I drank two sips of Water and had immediate cramping. That stopped after 5 minutes. I requested a meeting with the nutritionist because their list is very confusing. They say sugar fee, fat free yogurt, all yogurt has some amount of sugar in it naturally so I need explanations. The pain medication helps tremendously, I agree. They have me on an opioid and a muscle relaxant. Today they added another pain medication. I do not know when they will send me home yet, but I am scared because all meds they are giving me are given through my arm port and I need to know that I will be able to control this pain at home. This is just 24 hours after the roux en y surgery, I thought it will be easier….Sigh…

Yes, continued good luck to everyone having surgery this week and to those who are recovering from having surgery earlier this week- speedy recovery

Awww - Maris; i wish you comfort and peace of mind. I think the prep re food i was provided was very good. I was given a A4 booklet type thing for the next 4 weeks post surgery and another for the for weeks following and another for after that. It describes what can be eaten, the texture (all pureed), the portion size, how it should be eaten, what can be drank, when it should be drank, how it should be drank etc. I wish i could upload it here but I cannot use this site too well other than to post messages. I hope your nutritionist is helpful xx

Less than a week ! I’m so excited ! Surgery date 6/12

For those that don’t have the regular liquid diet - do you still have a clear liquid diet 24 hours before surgery?? I didn’t have any “diet” prior to today with my liquid diet since my surgery is tomorrow but my head is killing me so I want to eat some bread or something small to help. Meds aren’t helping… I just wonder if it’ll be that hindering to my surgery tomorrow at 10am…

22 hours ago, MarisAthena said:

Hello everyone! I am out of surgery and just woke up! I received a mixture of pain medication including fentanyl. I have almost no pain. I am coughing a lot from the tube they inserted. My surgery took 7 hours without prep because they had to do much more than the gastric bypass roux en y. I would say that overall I am ok and that it was more difficult than I initially thought it will be. For those of you still on the liquid diet, please please keep it up. My surgeon said that he could see where the liver was once enlarged, and that he could see the shadow, so that liquid diet I hated so much did something! 😀I did not sleep at all the night before the surgery because of the Miralax. TMI, but going to the bathroom through the whole night and the early morning in the hospital prior to surgery made it horrible. It might not happen to others, but my body reacted that way. Another very important thing, that my husband shared, I was not awaken yet, please tell the nurse to talk to the transport team not to roll you over from the sling they transport you after the surgery into your post op bed. They wanted to do that to me and my husband stopped them. Last but not least and most important of all, I was happy when I opened my eyes! This is the first day of the rest of my life! 😀

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

Congratulations so happy for you and I love the way you said this is the first day of the rest of my life! Amen!

I was told that Gas x wouldn’t help this kind of gas. I don’t know if it’s a placebo effect or what but I nibbled slowly on a chewable gas x and did find some relief. Also put my heating pad on a low setting on my belly (not directly on my skin) seems to be helping.

3 hours ago, MarisAthena said:

You are doing much better than I am. Today I was taken to radiography so they can test if there are any leaks. That experience was very painful due to the positioning but there are no leaks so I can start eating. I drank two sips of Water and had immediate cramping. That stopped after 5 minutes. I requested a meeting with the nutritionist because their list is very confusing. They say sugar fee, fat free yogurt, all yogurt has some amount of sugar in it naturally so I need explanations. The pain medication helps tremendously, I agree. They have me on an opioid and a muscle relaxant. Today they added another pain medication. I do not know when they will send me home yet, but I am scared because all meds they are giving me are given through my arm port and I need to know that I will be able to control this pain at home. This is just 24 hours after the roux en y surgery, I thought it will be easier….Sigh…

So I found that cold Water from the pitcher with is hurt. I started asking for no ice and let the water come to room temp in my 1 ounce cups and it was like night and day for me

On 06/06/2023 at 15:19, AmandaD. said:

For those that don’t have the regular liquid diet - do you still have a clear liquid diet 24 hours before surgery?? I didn’t have any “diet” prior to today with my liquid diet since my surgery is tomorrow but my head is killing me so I want to eat some bread or something small to help. Meds aren’t helping… I just wonder if it’ll be that hindering to my surgery tomorrow at 10am…

I did not have to follow a liquid diet prior to surgery. Surgery is on Thursday, 1pm. I can still eat tomorrow for Breakfast and lunch and then I am on a liquid diet. And then absolutely nothing after 10am Thursday. This is a different pre-op protocol from others I’ve had before. Perhaps ask your team if they are available, if not, best to follow the guidelines they gave you for now. Hope you feel better! Just a bit more to go ;)

My surgery was June 2nd. I have pain under my ribs on my left side. I am super fatigued, but I figured out a game to play to keep me walking. My son drives me over to the super Walmart and we walk every isle. We look for foods that I can have on a liquid diet. There is hardly anything to eat at WW. We are going to costco tomorrow!

6 hours ago, HealthyT said:

My surgery was June 2nd. I have pain under my ribs on my left side. I am super fatigued, but I figured out a game to play to keep me walking. My son drives me over to the super Walmart and we walk every isle. We look for foods that I can have on a liquid diet. There is hardly anything to eat at WW. We are going to costco tomorrow!

A glutton for punishment! I can’t even sit with my family at dinner because they get to chew food!! Other than the chest pain how are you? I’m noticing I’m getting headaches😞, my surgery was the second as well

Keep up the good work, you got this, that's my way of walking, I really go to Walmart, they probably think I'm crazy, but I just go to Walmart to walk around the store lol