Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

June 2022 surgery buddies

2 hours ago, doobie31 said:

Glad you finally got rid of it. I was fearful of gas pains, and they didn't happen (or if they did, they were so mild I didn't notice). Just lucky I guess. I got sent home at 2:30p Wednesday. sleeping was not a problem. I took 2 Tylenol when I woke up as a precaution, but don't plan to take anymore unless pain gets bad. Thus far, nothing I can't handle. No nausea though I still have the thing behind my ear. We'll see how things go when I take that off tomorrow. Sticking to a very ridged schedule of drinking every 15 minutes and walking every hour. All in all, feeling very, very lucky.

Biggest surprise was finding out I had to stick a needly in my stomach twice a day for 30 days to help prevent an embolism. Luckily it doesn't hurt at all, but did not expect that!

Glad your home and doing well. Keep us updated.

Oh my gosh on the needle part! Is that normal? So glad to hear your gas pains weren't bad and it sounds like you have a wonderful plan for fluids and water! Looking forward to following your progress!

Tender at incision sites but okay overall. I’ve gotten sick twice. We weren’t allowed anything yesterday. This morning, we got ice chips to let melt in our mouth. This afternoon they took us to a bar to get virgin frozen margaritas. I had maybe 2-3 oz of it before I couldn’t drink/eat anymore. I’m having a lime popsicle right now.

After this it’ll be sipping on Water until tomorrow.

7 hours ago, Mariann812 said:

Congratulations!!!🎉🍾🎈🎊 to you . And best wishes on your journey!

my experience has been similar. This is without a doubt one of the best things I have EVER done for myself!

fourteen days post op and I feel like I’m 25 years younger (I’m 67).

dr. Pilati (WakeMed) ordered my meds 3 weeks prior to surgery. My hospital experience could not have been more amazing! Anti nausea patch, nerve block on both sides of abdomen, non narcotic pain meds one hour prior to surgery: I NEVER needed any pain meds. Nerve block lasted 3 days. No gas, just nausea and I was immediately given a steroid/anti nausea cocktail (decadron) that was a miracle drug. My bp is normally 156/99….in the hospital it was 188/96. This morning at my pcp visit it was 104/65! My bp meds have been halved. I’ve been on them for 22 years since my twins were born…post partum hypertension.

I start puréed foods tomorrow. I am perfectly satisfied right now on liquids. I’m not hungry, I am down 23 lbs, I feel fabulous. Right now, I am remembering how little food mattered to me most of my life and I am ecstatic.

I wish that everyone could have the same experience I’m having.
this is life changing.

I see you said WakeMed. Raleigh area of NC? I only ask because I'm in Eastern NC on the coast but am from Winston-Salem! I've been a NC girl my whole life with the exception of two years when I was out in Colorado.

So happy you are doing well! I'm getting ready to start week 3 post OP and I can WAIT to make my chicken salad and egg salad in puree form. Other than some issues with gassiness off and on, and lower energy, I am doing awesome too and am sooooo glad I finally, after two years of my primary care physician recommending it, had the surgery! Now it's all about getting healthy and active again! Hoping some of the medications I was taking for scary stuff will eventually be weened! Also hoping my hypothyroidism takes a back seat in the near future. Hehe!

44 minutes ago, ShianRaineDrop said:

Oh my gosh on the needle part! Is that normal? So glad to hear your gas pains weren't bad and it sounds like you have a wonderful plan for fluids and water! Looking forward to following your progress!

One of the more fascinating things being a part of these boards is all the different pre-op and post-op routines. Everyone's experience truly is unique. Doc put me on the shot because I guess I'm at a higher risk for an embolism, I'd guess because of my size (410 to start), age (51) and history of high blood pressure. But it came as a total shock when the nurse came in to show me how to do it. I'm like "I'm going to be doing this to myself???". But just like all the rest, you make it happen for the greater good.

I'm following the post-op instruction so carefully. I have a 15-minute timer. When it goes off, I drink an oz (sometimes 2). Every 4 of them, I go for a short walk and do my breathing exercise. I so badly want this part to be smooth so I can get on with the rest. And I am not normally this much of a medical rule follower! But I'm committed. Can't let all that money go to waste 😂

Also was UP 5 pounds two days after surgery. That's not encouraging, but I know that's normal and I'm not letting it bother me .... much. Looking forward to hearing more details from you and others at right about the same point.

On 6/22/2022 at 2:06 PM, MeMaof2byz said:

How's everyone doing?

I had my RNY on 6/6/22 and feel very fortunate that the only issue I had was an allergic reaction to the iodine prep they do before they start surgery. I broke out in itchy hives from chest to crotch. 3 days of prednisone and Vistaril and I am as good as new.

Just started my multi Vitamin, that is hard because it is like eating chalk but I choke it down along with my Omeprazole each morning.

Not being able to chug my Water is challenging but I find if I put lots of ice in my cup it causes me to drink it slower.

I found this stuff called Dr. Berg's Nutritional Yeast, it is so good! 2 tbs has 11 grams of Protein, so I tend to add it to almost everything, such as Soup, Riccota bake, and eggs.

I do not get hungry so I have set a timer for every 2 hrs so I eat and my main focus is on Protein, making sure I get 80 grams in a day.

HW 279

SW 250

CW 240

GW 155

Hope you are doing well!!

Thanks so much for the yest recommendation. I just ordered some!

I'm so happy to be reading all these post-op stories, and the fact that they are mostly going so well. My post op, as well, is doing great. I know the statistics on this sort of surgery are very positive but it's wonderful hearing all of your stories. Almost everyone I've talked to that has had the surgery have all said it's the best thing they ever did for themselves.

Hooray for all of us!

19 minutes ago, AnneNP said:

I'm so happy to be reading all these post-op stories, and the fact that they are mostly going so well. My post op, as well, is doing great. I know the statistics on this sort of surgery are very positive but it's wonderful hearing all of your stories. Almost everyone I've talked to that has had the surgery have all said it's the best thing they ever did for themselves.

Hooray for all of us!

Absolutely’ best thing I’ve done for me!

wishing you continued success!

2 hours ago, AnneNP said:

Hooray for all of us!

It's the best decision I have ever made. I'm presently 24 pounds down and counting. I have so much energy, it's amazing!

Hey everyone. I just want some reassurance that I’m having a “normal” experience. I know this isn’t a place for medical advice but I just want to see what others experienced. I had a sleeve on Thursday (6/23) and discharged home yesterday. I’m doing well as far as no nausea or vomiting but I am having a decent amount of pain when trying to sit up to get out of bed. The pain seems to be mostly along the line where my sutures are and it almost feels like it’s a lot of muscle soreness. I don’t have any issues once I’m standing up and moving or when I’m sitting still in a chair, just when I move to get up. I know this is abdominal surgery so there’s going to be discomfort but I just wanted to see what kind of experience any of you had.

1 hour ago, whtnybrks said:

Hey everyone. I just want some reassurance that I’m having a “normal” experience. I know this isn’t a place for medical advice but I just want to see what others experienced. I had a sleeve on Thursday (6/23) and discharged home yesterday. I’m doing well as far as no nausea or vomiting but I am having a decent amount of pain when trying to sit up to get out of bed. The pain seems to be mostly along the line where my sutures are and it almost feels like it’s a lot of muscle soreness. I don’t have any issues once I’m standing up and moving or when I’m sitting still in a chair, just when I move to get up. I know this is abdominal surgery so there’s going to be discomfort but I just wanted to see what kind of experience any of you had.

I have also felt bruised around my mid section but nothing near as bad as the gas pain I had. By the time the gas started working itself out a few days later, I finally started feeling a bit of discomfort from the surgery itself. I just took tylenol (I couldn't stand the pain medicine they gave me) every morning and every night and it seemed to work well. I just started week three and while I still have some slight discomfort, it's not bad at all. I'd say the worst days were the first couple after coming home. I use a pillow pressed against the right center of my abdominal area when I have to cough or sneeze and it helps a lot as that is when I seem to notice a bit more discomfort. I have a pretty high pain tolerance so that may be why I feel like the surgical pain was the least pain I've experienced compared to the gas pains but I promise you, it will continue to ease up each day. I'm trying to get back to being active again since I go back to work Monday and I feel like just sitting around is not conducive to a quicker recovery and it seems to be going well.

Rest and relaxation is good for the first week though so take it easy maybe and just try to get up and move around a few times a day! Wishing you the best over the next couple of weeks! WK 3, puree week, is a game changer. I made homemade egg salad with my backyard chicken eggs yesterday and oh my gosh, it was amazing! Hehe!

Edited by ShianRaineDrop

1 hour ago, whtnybrks said:

Hi, Whitney: congrats on your surgery! You are on your way!

I’ve had 4 c-sections. Abdominal surgery feels like you have been whacked in the stomach with an axe…multiple times I found ice and walking to help. In fact, if I wasn’t walking, I was icing

for this surgery, which was laparoscopic, I found the abdominal pain to be minimal. BUT, my surgeon had told me that after 4 c-sections, this procedure would be a walk in the park for me. I did ice a couple of night. The place where my gallbladder exited my body was more sore than the others.

remember, walking, ice, rest, take things slowly…none of us are Olympic athletes, and slow and steady is best.

2 hours ago, whtnybrks said:

Sounds very normal to me. I had surgery June 21. Was lucky enough to have no gas pains so the only pain I've had is where the incisions are and soreness internally. As long as I'm still, I'm fine. Getting up and down hurts a little or hurts a lot depending on how careful I am. So I think you're 100% normal.

Hi I had surgery 6/22, anyone else??