Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

June 2022 surgery buddies

On 06/14/2022 at 01:53, Mariann812 said:

Thank you for your kind words. The best advice I would give anyone is to ‘be compliant.’ Follow your doctor and nutritionist’s protocol to a ‘T.’ I read some posts here and the difficulties people are having, granted, sometimes, yes, crap happens. But some of the stuff I read here boggles my mind. People pay little or no attention to the protocol they have been given. I cannot for the life of me understand why someone would sabotage themselves that way.

if someone had told me one week ago how amazing I would feel right now, I would have not a single second of nervousness or anxiety.

I have a friend who had VSG done in October. She is also extremely compliant. She has lost 90 lbs and is at her goal weight. She is off her thyroid meds, and she says this surgery is the best thing she has ever done. I feel the same way about my surgery and I’m not even a week out.

im already on a lower dose of my blood pressure meds.

Follow the protocol, follow the process. Don’t cheat. These people know what they are doing.

Good luck and let me know how it goes! You will rock this!

Ivetere83:

Please read the above as well. I am now almost 2 weeks post op. I haven’t felt this good in 20+ years.

1 hour ago, lvetere83 said:

Hey all! I’m freaking out! Tomorrow is the day and I’m scared. I keep wondering if I am doing the right thing. I keep worrying about them not being able to go in laparoscopic and having a huge scar. I’m scared something will go wrong and I won’t be there for my daughter. Lord please get me through this.

Okay slow down and take a deep breathe. This is not thetime to panic. I pray that God gives you peace and guides the hands of the surgeons and that the surgery is a complete success with no complications. In Jesus mighty name.

I felt the same way that you did. I was utterly scared and I even called the doctor's office to cancel but it happened to be closed. I prayed that same prayer and I believe God was with me through it all. So I believe I made the right choice.

You're going to be just fine. Remember all the positive reasons why you are doing this and that includes being healthy for your daughter.

1 hour ago, lvetere83 said:

Hey all! I’m freaking out! Tomorrow is the day and I’m scared. I keep wondering if I am doing the right thing. I keep worrying about them not being able to go in laparoscopic and having a huge scar. I’m scared something will go wrong and I won’t be there for my daughter. Lord please get me through this.

It's natural to be scared just before and to question everything. However, remember all the prep you did to get to this point...all the tests, the preops, and (if you are like me) all the research you have done. You chose your Dr for a reason and hopefully you have complete trust in him/her. I strongly believe you have the right to say no up til they put you under anesthesia .But if what you have is presurgical jitters, take a deep breath and remember your whys. You got this!

I had my surgery June 10th so I'm on day 10. I was terrified but learned really quickly that the surgical pain wasn't nearly as close to challenging as getting that gas pain out. That was rough and I can now feel WHAT I suspect is some surgery pain but it pretty much just feels like I've done a few too many crunches, which I can assure you, has not happened. 😂 I only had to take my pain medication the first full day home from surgery and I'm sure it was still the gas pain. Otherwise, pain has not really been an issue which is awesome! The clear diet has not been fun at all, and this second week isn't much fun either by being able to add Protein Shakes but only four more days until I get to start experimenting with pureed foods! Since I LOVE chicken, tuna, and egg salads, that's what I'll be prepping up for my puree week and first week back at work. Super excited about the possibilities of this new journey!

HW: 306 SW: 296 CW: 278

Edited by ShianRaineDrop

On 06/20/2022 at 14:28, ShianRaineDrop said:

I had my surgery June 10th so I'm on day 10. I was terrified but learned really quickly that the surgical pain wasn't nearly as close to challenging as getting that gas pain out. That was rough and I can now feel WHAT I suspect is some surgery pain but it pretty much just feels like I've done a few too many crunches, which I can assure you, has not happened. 😂 I only had to take my pain medication the first full day home from surgery and I'm sure it was still the gas pain. Otherwise, pain has not really been an issue which is awesome! The clear diet has not been fun at all, and this second week isn't much fun either by being able to add Protein Shakes but only four more days until I get to start experimenting with pureed foods! Since I LOVE chicken, tuna, and egg salads, that's what I'll be prepping up for my puree week and first week back at work. Super excited about the possibilities of this new journey!

HW: 306 SW: 296 CW: 278

Congratulations! Good luck on your journey!
I found the pain almost nonexistent as well. I’ve had 4 c-sections and my surgeon told me that this would be a walk in the park after 4 c-sections. He was absolutely correct. I never took anything for pain, and after leaving the hospital, I didn’t need anything for nausea.

Check-in is 9a tomorrow (June 21). Any surgery-twins out there? Pretty nervous, but even more excited.

22 minutes ago, doobie31 said:

Check-in is 9a tomorrow (June 21). Any surgery-twins out there? Pretty nervous, but even more excited.

You will be great! Definitely be more excited than anything else! I was mostly excited but apprehensive as well which I think is normal. My entire hospital experience was so positive and so amazing, I wish the same for you.

I am not even 2 weeks post op and I can say with confidence that this is one of the best things I have ever done for myself.
Best wishes!

1 hour ago, doobie31 said:

You've got this!!! Just be prepared for the thirst that comes between surgery completion and the leak test that may follow a few hours later. I kept Water by my bed to swish around my mouth regularly. My biggest regret is not working harder to get the gas out. Other than that, it has been a wayyyy less than scary process than I thought going into it! You'll do awesome!! Keep us posted! Sending positive thoughts your way!

I’m at the airport about to fly to San Antonio! Tomorrow the Endobariatric team will pick us up and drive us to Pedras Negras.

34 minutes ago, ShianRaineDrop said:

You've got this!!! Just be prepared for the thirst that comes between surgery completion and the leak test that may follow a few hours later. I kept Water by my bed to swish around my mouth regularly. My biggest regret is not working harder to get the gas out. Other than that, it has been a wayyyy less than scary process than I thought going into it! You'll do awesome!! Keep us posted! Sending positive thoughts your way!

"Wayyyy less than the scary process...."

My favorite words!!! I'm very optimistic about things. I expect it to not be too horrible. But we'll see. Thank you for the encouragement.

1 hour ago, Mariann812 said:

You will be great! Definitely be more excited than anything else! I was mostly excited but apprehensive as well which I think is normal. My entire hospital experience was so positive and so amazing, I wish the same for you.

I am not even 2 weeks post op and I can say with confidence that this is one of the best things I have ever done for myself.
Best wishes!

Love reading this! Thank you for the encouragement. Can't wait until morning.