Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

June 2022 surgery buddies

I am so happy my doctor only required one day of Clear Liquids before moving me to stage 2 which basically means anything liquid including Soup and yogurt. Isopure Protein Powder goes with everything, so I'm loving having yogurt, cream of wheat and creamy Soups to get my Protein in. I will be perfectly happy to never have a Protein Shake again for as long as I live.

On 04/27/2022 at 20:50, Jessica1024 said:

I Feel this way too. I’m starting to look at everything I eat and wonder if I will ever be able to eat it again. It is making me realize how much pleasure I truly associate with food. I need to find something else to fulfill that feeling

I did my surgery june 20, now i’m one week post op, the hardest thing till now is that i feel the need for chewing to the point where two days ago i felt the need to take a bite of an onion 🤦🏻‍♂️, i do miss the food i used to eat but not so much, it’s ok you can handle it. Good luck

9 hours ago, riverlady241 said:

I'm 6/22 & getting hungry for substance. Post-op clear diet is rough after 3 weeks of the liver diet.

Sent from my SM-N976U using BariatricPal mobile app

I hear you. The 3 days before surgery which was 6/8, were the worst! sugar free popsicles helped me a lot…right before and right after surgery.

On 06/26/2022 at 15:31, JS said:

Tomorrow is the big day! No major pre-op diet. Today was liquids only after noon. Have to be at the hospital at 8am.

Good luck! You will do great! Wishing you an uneventful surgery, an easy recovery, and a wonderful experience to follow! 🤗

On 06/26/2022 at 00:16, doobie31 said:

Surgery on June 21 (Tuesday) Today was the first day I felt crummy. My son had a bday party and instead of dropping him off I hung around talked. My first time out for an extended period of time. There were a few stairs, not too many. Sipped Water while I was there using a timer to keep it slow. When I got home I had about 11 ounces of Tomato Soup with Protein Powder eaten over 90 minutes (my doc wants me to consume 1-2 ounces of liquid every 15 minutes all day long). Then a couple more ounces of Water over the next half hour. Next thing I knew, I was FULL. I'm not 100% sure it was food fullness. Maybe some soreness thrown in there. Maybe some gas, I don't know. I just know I felt full like I'd eaten a big meal. I was physically uncomfortable but mentally jumping for joy at the thought of being able to be satisfied on so much less food! Laid down for a while. Didn't put anything in my mouth for about two hours, and now I'm feeling ok and typing this.

Doobie.

It’s a process, it sounds like you’ve figured it out! It’s a real learning curve, I’ve found, but not a difficult one.
When I have been tired, or not as hydrated as I should be, I’ve been giving myself time to recoup with rest. I’m using the Baritastic App with the drink reminder set up to silently vibrate every 5 minutes to gauge my liquid intake and stay on top of it. I had tried to do it without he reminders but 5 minutes goes by too fast.
Good luck and keep up the good work!🎉

On 06/23/2022 at 18:23, ShianRaineDrop said:

I see you said WakeMed. Raleigh area of NC? I only ask because I'm in Eastern NC on the coast but am from Winston-Salem! I've been a NC girl my whole life with the exception of two years when I was out in Colorado.

So happy you are doing well! I'm getting ready to start week 3 post OP and I can WAIT to make my chicken salad and egg salad in puree form. Other than some issues with gassiness off and on, and lower energy, I am doing awesome too and am sooooo glad I finally, after two years of my primary care physician recommending it, had the surgery! Now it's all about getting healthy and active again! Hoping some of the medications I was taking for scary stuff will eventually be weened! Also hoping my hypothyroidism takes a back seat in the near future. Hehe!

Hi, there, NC girl!
I have a former neighbor who had VSG done in 10/202- and after bumping down, she is now off her thyroid meds.
My bp meds were halved last week after only 2 weeks post op. I have been on them for 21 years!
We have been in the triangle for almost 2 years after 29 years in northern Virginia. We like it here, and are building in Emerald Isle because I must be near the ocean in the summer.
Good luck to you!⛱

5 days post op. I am on clear liquids only until June 30th. No sugar free popsicles or anything. Only room temp. ,clear decaf; sugar free clear liquids. I swear some of my stomach pain is my stomach growling. I am tired, weak and feel like I need 1 Protein Drink !. In the hospital 24 hours after surgery I was allowed 5 sips. the next day 5 sips thats it ! no ice chips NOTHING. I think my stomach is eating itself. my goal is to get up to 40 oz of clear liquids by June 30th. I feel so shitty I doubt thats gonna happen. Anyone else this strict ??? I was below qualifying for surgery on day of surgery due to preop diet. Not sure if that has anything to do with it or not. Just ranting

12 hours ago, riverlady241 said:

I'm 6/22 & getting hungry for substance. Post-op clear diet is rough after 3 weeks of the liver diet.

Sent from my SM-N976U using BariatricPal mobile app

I was 6/22 and I am with ya.

40 minutes ago, Jessica1024 said:

I was 6/22 and I am with ya.

6/22 too and I have another three weeks of liquids before soft foods. I'm so ready to eat something instead of drink.

42 minutes ago, Jessica1024 said:

5 days post op. I am on Clear Liquids only until June 30th. No sugar free popsicles or anything. Only room temp. ,clear decaf; sugar free clear liquids. I swear some of my stomach pain is my stomach growling. I am tired, weak and feel like I need 1 Protein Drink !. In the hospital 24 hours after surgery I was allowed 5 sips. the next day 5 sips thats it ! no ice chips NOTHING. I think my stomach is eating itself. my goal is to get up to 40 oz of clear liquids by June 30th. I feel so shitty I doubt thats gonna happen. Anyone else this strict ??? I was below qualifying for surgery on day of surgery due to preop diet. Not sure if that has anything to do with it or not. Just ranting

What about Protein? You're not getting any calories or protein at all until June 30?

26 minutes ago, doobie31 said:

What about Protein? You're not getting any calories or Protein at all until June 30?

No. Next week I am allowed to add in 1 protein drink per day along with my continued clear liquid. I may breakdown a sip a muscle milk today. I feel pretty crappy

Edited by Jessica1024

On 06/27/2022 at 09:35, Jessica1024 said:

5 days post op. I am on Clear Liquids only until June 30th. No sugar free popsicles or anything. Only room temp. ,clear decaf; sugar free clear liquids. I swear some of my stomach pain is my stomach growling. I am tired, weak and feel like I need 1 Protein Drink !. In the hospital 24 hours after surgery I was allowed 5 sips. the next day 5 sips thats it ! no ice chips NOTHING. I think my stomach is eating itself. my goal is to get up to 40 oz of clear liquids by June 30th. I feel so shitty I doubt thats gonna happen. Anyone else this strict ??? I was below qualifying for surgery on day of surgery due to preop diet. Not sure if that has anything to do with it or not. Just ranting

At least the 30th is this week…although I know it’s not much help. It does seem extreme to me, but what do I know? The post op eating criteria seems to be all over the place.
Do you have a nutritionist who has been assigned to you?

11 minutes ago, Mariann812 said:

At least the 30th is this week…although I know it’s not much help. It does seem extreme to me, but what do I know? The post op eating criteria seems to be all over the place.
Do you have a nutritionist who has been assigned to you?

Yes. This is the programs guidelines. I can’t even drink clear Protein Drinks.