Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

May 2022 surgery?

4 hours ago, okinc10 said:

Any chance you experienced similar to me? My surgery was 23rd of May only lost 9 and it’s The 6th of June. It is coming off literally in 2 oz or nothing at a time. With less than 500 cal a day not sure I understand that. Getting Water and Protein in. Doing everything doc said. ? Puzzled. I lost 9 from the 4th to the 23rd on the 1200 cal and bike and walking.

Probably. I stalled when I switched from Clear Liquids to full liquids. Someone here shared a video where a bariatric surgeon explains the cause of the early stall. It's nothing that you are doing wrong. Your initial weight loss would have mostly been Water loss that eventually catches up. The stall is just the body processing the changes to your diet and your new stomach. Some recommend only weighing once per week or month so that you don't lose hope in the process. Also, if you are doing any exercise and had previously lost muscle tone - you will be gaining muscle that will also move the scale back a little. But, even though I stalled for the entire 2nd & 3rd week post surgery, I could tell my clothes were still getting looser by the day.

2 hours ago, Lee anne said:

I did my measurements and found I lost an inch in my waist, hips and chest each. I am doing what I suppose to but have not lost weight in the last 12 days. I am 24 days po. I have lost 14lb since day 3 po. The scales are driving me crazy. I want to numbers move so bad just for some encouragement. I hear from. So many that their weight lost started to pick up after a long stall.

Patience is not easy is it? Guess one day at a time !

On 5/30/2022 at 12:20 PM, Strivingfor5K said:

I just had my surgery on the 26th, so I’m fresh off the table lol it’s been a struggle remembering to sip my liquids and get some walking in. Especially because I felt so tired and lethargic after the first couple of days. I feel a little more energized now though! Good luck to everyone else.

How are you doing?

This is the beginning of my 4 th week post op. I’m still nauseated and dizzy. Just not feeling well. Pushed off going back to work. They said it might be the change in my blood pressure. I had high blood pressure when I had surgery and this quickly it’s normal to low. Just wondering if anyone else just didn’t feel well at 4 weeks?

On 06/06/2022 at 15:48, Deboys2k15 said:

This is the beginning of my 4 th week post op. I’m still nauseated and dizzy. Just not feeling well. Pushed off going back to work. They said it might be the change in my blood pressure. I had high blood pressure when I had surgery and this quickly it’s normal to low. Just wondering if anyone else just didn’t feel well at 4 weeks?

I feel much better in week 5. About to start week 6 and I’m hopeful. My blood pressure ran 80s over 40s for weeks post op and it was fine. Hopefully your blood pressure finds it’s happy place soon!

Thanks

3 hours ago, healthy granny said:

I'm in a similar situation. Surgery May 19, lost 10lbs immediately and now am stalled. I'm getting my Protein and usually my Water in. I feel like I don't any restriction on food, eating a little less. I'm sticking to around 600-800 calories. I'm a little frustrated for sure.

I didn't feel any restriction at all during the soft/pureed food stages. As of Friday, though, I am on regular food. Boy can I feel the restriction now! I JUST had only my second experience with vomiting after a meal - I think I just ate my little bowl of food too fast and had a bite or two too much. Also, definitely follow the rules about stopping liquids 30 min before or after meals or you will get that over-full feeling!

So, my Covid test is negative and I cannot tell you what a relief that is.
🎉2 MORE SLEEPS TIL SURGERY 🎉
My 2nd oldest reminded me of this:

‘Narcotics deprive you of your deeper stages of sleep that your body really needs to heal.’

She’s gone through med school, and she is well-schooled on this stuff. The sooner one can stop the narcotics, the sooner they are on the road to recovery.

5 hours ago, healthy granny said:

I'm in a similar situation. Surgery May 19, lost 10lbs immediately and now am stalled. I'm getting my Protein and usually my Water in. I feel like I don't any restriction on food, eating a little less. I'm sticking to around 600-800 calories. I'm a little frustrated for sure.

I definitely feel restriction. I can't eat chicken even pureed. It's just easier to eat soft or pureed food. I did over eat on chicken and it was painful. I had to throw that up. Lesson learned. I try to remember to stop eating before I am full. It takes a bit for your brain to catch up to your stomach. I have always been a fast eater. So learning to slow down has been an issue.

UPDATED TO ADD: I have no idea how this ended up in May surgeries! 🤦🏻‍♀️ Suffice to say, I have been an absolute space cadet today. I don’t even know what day it is. I ONLY know it’s NOT Wednesday…which is my surgery date. 🤦🏻‍♀️

9 hours ago, Lee anne said:

I definitely feel restriction. I can't eat chicken even pureed. It's just easier to eat soft or pureed food. I did over eat on chicken and it was painful. I had to throw that up. Lesson learned. I try to remember to stop eating before I am full. It takes a bit for your brain to catch up to your stomach. I have always been a fast eater. So learning to slow down has been an issue.

So two things - one - does anyone know if this is normal to stop losing beginning of week 3 and actually went up .4 ??
two - chicken- I tried pulverized chicken breast with a bit of fat free mayo yesterday my left side of tummy gut hurts yesterday and this morning. I feel like as soon as I introduced something other than liquid I am getting constipated also. I think back to Soups for a couple days. Very discouraging set back but I’ll keep on keepin on.

1 hour ago, okinc10 said:

So two things - one - does anyone know if this is normal to stop losing beginning of week 3 and actually went up .4 ??
two - chicken- I tried pulverized chicken breast with a bit of fat free mayo yesterday my left side of tummy gut hurts yesterday and this morning. I feel like as soon as I introduced something other than liquid I am getting constipated also. I think back to Soups for a couple days. Very discouraging set back but I’ll keep on keepin on.

I have read a lot of stalls between weeks 2 and 4. I watched a video that talked about the three week stall. The doctor explained at first we are losing a lot of Water weight. Then as we get fluids we gain Fluid but is losing pounds. So it does not show we really are losing. If you do measurements you can see that you lost inches during this time. If you will google the 3 week stall with weight loss surgery or sleeve .... you can fine a lot of videos from different doctors. I am in a stall going on 10 days. I have heard people talking about long stalls but started losing faster. If your exercising you might gain muscle but losing fat. I belong to several gastic sleeve support groups ob face book and learned alot.

41 minutes ago, Lee anne said:

I have read a lot of stalls between weeks 2 and 4. I watched a video that talked about the three week stall. The doctor explained at first we are losing a lot of Water weight. Then as we get fluids we gain Fluid but is losing pounds. So it does not show we really are losing. If you do measurements you can see that you lost inches during this time. If you will google the 3 week stall with weight loss surgery or sleeve .... you can fine a lot of videos from different doctors. I am in a stall going on 10 days. I have heard people talking about long stalls but started losing faster. If your exercising you might gain muscle but losing fat. I belong to several gastic sleeve support groups ob face book and learned alot.

That makes perfect sense! The way you put it lose gain drop !!

On 6/6/2022 at 8:25 AM, sprukop0924 said:

Update on my progress. Surgery was May 13. I lost a pound per day the first week, then stalled for 2 weeks. Finally loosing again! Down 26lbs so far, including pre-op diet. Have been working out 5 days per week on elliptical and on regular food now as of Friday. Struggling to get my 60 oz of Water in, but started using my timer yesterday to remind me to sip something every 15 minutes except before and after meals. I have only had nausea once and have only vomited once - both times caused by drinking too close to meals.

Overall, this has been a much better experience than I anticipated since I am 62 yrs old. Surgeon says I'm doing great! I only took 3 days off work, and then worked from home for 2 weeks (desk job).

Great to hear!! I'm waiting surgery I. Sept or Oct. I'm 68 so am glad to hear a positive report!!

1 hour ago, Hesitant but hopeful said:

Great to hear!! I'm waiting surgery I. Sept or Oct. I'm 68 so am glad to hear a positive report!!

My surgery is tomorrow at 10:20am. I'm 67. Fingers crossed. I'm keeping super busy, and that is helping. My school day ends in 15 minutes.