Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

April 2022 Surgery Buddies

Not sure if they told y'all.... NO STRAWS!!!!!! Straws will add gas to your insides... I haven't used a straw since my surgery on August 1, 2007

Hi Everyone! Just got sleeved (25th April) first couple days were the WORST and now it’s seeming a little easier. The worst part for me was the gas pain. I also had the Protein milkshake on day 3 and couldn’t keep anything down so had to go back to the ER for an IV. Now I’m on Clear Liquids (water and juice) and feeling better. The only issue I’m having currently is absolute insomnia and lower abdomen bloating. Hope everyone’s doing good 🙌🏻

On 4/28/2022 at 4:30 PM, Jen83Atl said:

Hi everyone… I had my surgery April 13. Dr told me I could start eating foods after check up 5 days post surgery but I am having a lot of trouble eating much of anything. Drinking is hard too- don’t know how I will get to 64 oz. Also- anyone else having trouble with the Vitamins? chewable Multi Vitamins made me sick today. This is hard!

Teh Vitamin thing is difficult isn’t it! My surgeon prescribed some enormous non chewable ones, well I can just about take them now and I’m nearly 3 weeks out. I got some vit c powder lemon flavoured powder that can be dissolved into Water, some chewable vit d and some B12 drops, I’ve got some gummies (I had them from before) that the dietician said don’t bother with because they have a bit of sugar in and low levels of vits, but I figured they were better than nothing that first awful week. Second week I had some chewables that tasted gross (I’ve still got them sitting on the kitchen bench!!) and now I’ve just about transitioned to swallowing a whole tablet. So….al in all…I probably didn’t have quite enough to start with but I kind of got there eventually! The first week is tough and a bit miserable tbh, but for me, it got better really quickly. I’m 2 days off 3 weeks now and feel relatively normal.

You will get to your fluid goals one sip at a time! Trust the process of healing. Start as soon as you open your eyes. Try a variety of flavors if you don’t like plain Water. Gatorade zero and Propel are my favorites after cold water. Also herbal teas and broth count. Before you worry much about food the priorities are Protein and hydration. There are tons of bari Vitamins out there. Immediately post op stay away from gummies as they can get stuck and they have sugars and not a lot of quality vitamins. Some companies have sample packs. Bariatric Advantage has them. You can also email company directly to ask. In a pinch you can take 2 Fred flinstone vitamins. Centrum has a liquid adult version. As you get more comfortable with your hydration and protein the rest will follow.

Hello everyone I am new here. I found this site and found it very helpful during this process. I got gastric bypass on 4/18. I was so scared before the surgery. Now I wish I had this done many years ago. I would say problems I had were Constipation ( no bowel movement for 11 days. I always had constipation but this was extreme. I am on linzess and now lactulose solution 10 ml 3x daily. I also had problems consuming enough Protein liquid. I got 2 flavors of Isopure. Yuck… I hate it! I forced myself to drink at least 1 bottle per day. Now I am on purée food. I am still trying to figure out what to purée and not. I am not much of a cook so this part is very hard for me. So far puréed cod fish, yam, green Beans. Cottage cheese, triple zero yogurt, premiers protein shake….( also yuck! ) I miss my Korean food! I have only lost 10 lbs. pre liquid I lost 13 lbs in 5 days. I am confused why I am not losing any weight at this point hopefully someone can give me some feedback. Thank you everyone for your posts and I am glad to be here.

17 minutes ago, tkkilen said:

Hello everyone I am new here. I found this site and found it very helpful during this process. I got gastric bypass on 4/18. I was so scared before the surgery. Now I wish I had this done many years ago. I would say problems I had were constipation ( no bowel movement for 11 days. I always had Constipation but this was extreme. I am on linzess and now lactulose solution 10 ml 3x daily. I also had problems consuming enough Protein liquid. I got 2 flavors of Isopure. Yuck… I hate it! I forced myself to drink at least 1 bottle per day. Now I am on purée food. I am still trying to figure out what to purée and not. I am not much of a cook so this part is very hard for me. So far puréed cod fish, yam, green Beans. Cottage cheese, triple zero yogurt, premiers Protein shake….( also yuck! ) I miss my Korean food! I have only lost 10 lbs. pre liquid I lost 13 lbs in 5 days. I am confused why I am not losing any weight at this point hopefully someone can give me some feedback. Thank you everyone for your posts and I am glad to be here.

Is your shake too sweet. Post surgery I could not tolorate super sweet and I used the Premier Protein clear drinks. Also I later discovered the premiere protein caffe latte which has caffeine but if you are allowed that it wasn’t too sweet either. I actually love them and still have one for Breakfast every day at over a year out.

16 minutes ago, tkkilen said:

Hello everyone I am new here. I found this site and found it very helpful during this process. I got gastric bypass on 4/18. I was so scared before the surgery. Now I wish I had this done many years ago. I would say problems I had were constipation ( no bowel movement for 11 days. I always had Constipation but this was extreme. I am on linzess and now lactulose solution 10 ml 3x daily. I also had problems consuming enough Protein liquid. I got 2 flavors of Isopure. Yuck… I hate it! I forced myself to drink at least 1 bottle per day. Now I am on purée food. I am still trying to figure out what to purée and not. I am not much of a cook so this part is very hard for me. So far puréed cod fish, yam, green Beans. Cottage cheese, triple zero yogurt, premiers Protein shake….( also yuck! ) I miss my Korean food! I have only lost 10 lbs. pre liquid I lost 13 lbs in 5 days. I am confused why I am not losing any weight at this point hopefully someone can give me some feedback. Thank you everyone for your posts and I am glad to be here.

Hi and welcome ! If you don’t like the Protein Shakes then get the Isopure unflavored and put it in something. I use it in V-8 6oz can and never know it’s there. You really need to meet your protein and hydration goals daily for healing. The Isopure is best in cold drinks or fluids below boiling, If you add to a sauce put it in right before you plate. As far as food perhaps some sauces from your favorite Korean food? Watch the labels, not to exceed 5 GM of sugar. I used a lil mayo and balsamic vinegar with canned tuna and canned chicken. It was great. The purée phase is temporary, it is a time to learn portion and texture. Most important is protein, hydration, and moving. If you want cooking ideas you can find bariatric cookbooks on Amazon for ideas. Best of Luck!!

Great to hear everyone is doing well! I had mine Wednesday. I did have to stay in the hospital for two nights because my nausea was making it impossible for me to get in enough fluids. I am home now and sleeping a lot also. I figured my body must need extra rest, so I am doing just that.

14 hours ago, Sleeving It Reel said:

Great to hear everyone is doing well! I had mine Wednesday. I did have to stay in the hospital for two nights because my nausea was making it impossible for me to get in enough fluids. I am home now and sleeping a lot also. I figured my body must need extra rest, so I am doing just that.

It’s good to hear you’re doing well!

On 4/29/2022 at 1:21 PM, Ladycaterpillar said:

Hi Everyone! Just got sleeved (25th April) first couple days were the WORST and now it’s seeming a little easier. The worst part for me was the gas pain. I also had the Protein milkshake on day 3 and couldn’t keep anything down so had to go back to the ER for an IV. Now I’m on Clear Liquids (water and juice) and feeling better. The only issue I’m having currently is absolute insomnia and lower abdomen bloating. Hope everyone’s doing good 🙌🏻

I’m having a lot of bloating as well but I know some of it is Constipation. I’m taking Miralax now and my body still is not giving it up lol

Good morning everyone, I just wanted to encourage all of you today, and remind you, please continue to walk, walk, walk. Walking will help with clotting, and will help improve your circulation. And don't forget to sip, sip, sip those fluids. NO carbonation at all and no straws. Enjoy your day.

Hi everyone,

I had surgery April 14th, so this Wednesday makes 3 weeks post op.

How is everyone doing? How are you feeling?

4 hours ago, Rachel_Hannah said:

Hi everyone,

I had surgery April 14th, so this Wednesday makes 3 weeks post op.

How is everyone doing? How are you feeling?

I had surgery on 4-5. I am amazed every day how ‘normal’ I feel. I am still on 2 tbs of purée and lots of fluids. I have good energy and walk most days. I return to work this week, thank goodness because I’m so bored! I am down a Jean size. As I put winter stuff away I am listing if for sale on Posh. I will not be wearing the same size this fall. Astounding!

1 hour ago, Tina 2.0 said:

I had surgery on 4-5. I am amazed every day how ‘normal’ I feel. I am still on 2 tbs of purée and lots of fluids. I have good energy and walk most days. I return to work this week, thank goodness because I’m so bored! I am down a Jean size. As I put winter stuff away I am listing if for sale on Posh. I will not be wearing the same size this fall. Astounding!

That's amazing! Congratulations!

The day before surgery I was a 32 in pant size. Now they're falling off and soon I'll be able to fit my 28s again. For now, I'm just wearing some yoga pants that are loose for walking.