Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

April 2022 Surgery Buddies

I had surgery 8 weeks ago. Weight loss will vary depending on how much you weighed to start with. I’ve lost 31-33 lbs since surgery day and 39 lbs including pre-op, however I was a lot smaller to start with so % wise I’m right where I need to be. Your body will keep losing until you hit your BMR plus activity calories to maintain your weight. We just have to remember we have the rest of our lives and to enjoy this awesome ride! Congrats on your weight loss so far. I know there’s more to come! 🥳

Queso

10 minutes ago, Quesodip251 said:

I had surgery 8 weeks ago. Weight loss will vary depending on how much you weighed to start with. I’ve lost 31-33 lbs since surgery day and 39 lbs including pre-op, however I was a lot smaller to start with so % wise I’m right where I need to be. Your body will keep losing until you hit your BMR plus activity calories to maintain your weight. We just have to remember we have the rest of our lives and to enjoy this awesome ride! Congrats on your weight loss so far. I know there’s more to come! 🥳

Queso

That's great! I bet you feel great! I know the smaller you are the less you'll lose initially, but I was 381. I'm glad for the weight I have lost and I'm planning on savoring every stage I come to/through.

My dr said it should've been 50-60 lbs but patients with PCOS often lose at slower rates even with the surgery, so I'm still on course and not to worry about it as much if I'm still losing consistently month after month

22 minutes ago, Rachel_Hannah said:

That's great! I bet you feel great! I know the smaller you are the less you'll lose initially, but I was 381. I'm glad for the weight I have lost and I'm planning on savoring every stage I come to/through.

My dr said it should've been 50-60 lbs but patients with PCOS often lose at slower rates even with the surgery, so I'm still on course and not to worry about it as much if I'm still losing consistently month after month

Do you take anything for your PCOS? The reason many health care professionals say women with PCOS lose weight slower is because the condition is associated with insulin resistance. Metformin helps, as does Spironolactone for the PCOS-associated skin issues. Lower carbs and more Protein helps with the insulin swings. If you’re eating the right amount of calories then it won’t affect your weight loss rate, but your hunger can increase from the low blood sugar that happens after eating in patients with insulin resistance.

I’m presuming you’re on medicine for Hashimoto’s…

Your Dr. is right that there’s nothing to worry about though. Cheers!

Source: I work in healthcare and have PCOS as well.

2 hours ago, Rachel_Hannah said:

Good afternoon,

I'm officially 10 weeks post op after VSG. I've only lost 48 lbs, but I'm feeling SO much better than before.

Just curious for anyone who's been out of surgery around the same time (my date was April 13th) and what you've lost during this time.

I'm not worried about not losing more because 48lbs in 10 weeks is still a great amount to have lost, but my surgeon said I would've lost between 50-60 lbs by 8 weeks out, on average.

:) Weight loss is consistent now, I didn't lose anything for about 3+ weeks after week 3 while I was healing, but now it's consistently about 3-4 lbs down every week.

I've also found it helpful to include at least 2 tbsp a day of some type of grain or starch (nothing processed/white/wheat). When I stay lower in carbs (below 35), I don't lose weight at all for that week.

Hi Rachel and Jen!! My mini gastric bypass was 4/14. I have lost less than you both. I have not been able to get anywhere near my Protein and Water intake, I have a HUGE aversion to protein since week 6. I did my surgery in Mexico so I don't have any local support at this point but my surgeon advises he thinks I'm very dehydrated causing my inability to handle eating. I went and got a Myers IV bag last week and i feel like it has helped a bit, My starting weight was 242 and hit onederland Monday!!! I only weigh once a week and was at 199.8 this past Monday. You both are doing so amazing!!! I have fibromyalgia and this has helped with my brain fog and exhaustion for sure. I am not working out yet at direction from my surgeon until my fluids and protein are under control. I still get very light headed and dizzy everyday.

6 minutes ago, Quesodip251 said:

Do you take anything for your PCOS? The reason many health care professionals say women with PCOS lose weight slower is because the condition is associated with insulin resistance. Metformin helps, as does Spironolactone for the PCOS-associated skin issues. Lower carbs and more Protein helps with the insulin swings. If you’re eating the right amount of calories then it won’t affect your weight loss rate, but your hunger can increase from the low blood sugar that happens after eating in patients with insulin resistance.

I’m presuming you’re on medicine for Hashimoto’s…

Your Dr. is right that there’s nothing to worry about though. Cheers!

Source: I work in healthcare and have PCOS as well.

I was on metformin at one time, but it made me violently sick and passed out several times while on it, so I'll never agree to be put on it again. It also caused an issue with my pancreas (already had an issue, but it enflamed it?)

I can't do keto/low carb because I literally stop losing weight, but my diet is mostly protein/veg with a little bit of sweet potato or a couple of tbsp of quinoa or brown jasmine rice, depends on the meal. I've noticed the 2 weeks I was below 35g carbs after surgery I not only had issues with low blood sugar, but I also didn't lose any weight during that time. I was low carb for years and never lost weight, no one can really explain why since my blood work does show insulin resistance.

I don't take any medicine for hashimotos. Many people with hashimotos thyroiditis get put on thyroid medicine. I was on Leothyronine (NP thyroid did not work for me, caused major weight gain), but since surgery we've done the labs 3xs and my provider said not to take it and we will re-test in 90 days unless my weight loss stops completely. :) Hopefully that means I won't need it at all in the future.

I'm still AIP-ish in eating, which is what helps the most with hashis symptoms. Luckily, eggs don't cause a flareup and most fermented dairy doesn't either. However, milk-based products and casein does.

13 minutes ago, Cara_luvnlite said:

Hi Rachel and Jen!! My mini gastric bypass was 4/14. I have lost less than you both. I have not been able to get anywhere near my Protein and Water intake, I have a HUGE aversion to Protein since week 6. I did my surgery in Mexico so I don't have any local support at this point but my surgeon advises he thinks I'm very dehydrated causing my inability to handle eating. I went and got a Myers IV bag last week and i feel like it has helped a bit, My starting weight was 242 and hit onederland Monday!!! I only weigh once a week and was at 199.8 this past Monday. You both are doing so amazing!!! I have fibromyalgia and this has helped with my brain fog and exhaustion for sure. I am not working out yet at direction from my surgeon until my fluids and protein are under control. I still get very light headed and dizzy everyday.

That's AWESOME! I'll be happy when I'm under 300. It's my goal to reach 250-ish by the end of the year, so we will see how that works out. :) I'll be happy if I get close!

I'm sorry to hear about your protein/water intake problem. Yes, dehydration will cause your body to reject other things until it's properly hydrated. Have you asked about the possibility of using something like IV Hydrates in your Water? After passing out in Legoland, my husband would put that in my water and I didn't have much of an issue with dehydration after that.

I usually have Weigh-In Wednesdays, but some Sundays I sneak a peak, especially if I feel bloated or haven't had a proper BM, but that's happening less and less now, especially since I don't want to get discouraged and weight fluctuates throughout the week.

I can't imagine living with fibromyalgia. I'm glad this gives you some relief from the exhaustion and brain fog, I'm relieved to experience the same.

thank you! I knew you would understand being your Hashimoto's struggle. I literally can't "stomach" the taste of Water additives. I'm not a picky person at all so its super frustrating when everything makes you gag. I can get about 2 sips of a Protein Shake and less of Protein water but this too shall pass so just doing the best I can and drinking water with lemon with SO MUCH ice lol its literally the only thing I can drink, and it has to be that way. I'm really trying to drink more than my current 2 - 3 glasses a day - it's an all-day struggle. I may get another myers IV bag next week but really hoping to no have too as its not cheap.

1 hour ago, Cara_luvnlite said:

thank you! I knew you would understand being your Hashimoto's struggle. I literally can't "stomach" the taste of Water additives. I'm not a picky person at all so its super frustrating when everything makes you gag. I can get about 2 sips of a Protein Shake and less of Protein Water but this too shall pass so just doing the best I can and drinking water with lemon with SO MUCH ice lol its literally the only thing I can drink, and it has to be that way. I'm really trying to drink more than my current 2 - 3 glasses a day - it's an all-day struggle. I may get another myers IV bag next week but really hoping to no have too as its not cheap.

TOTALLY understood! I'm not picky but I'm super sensitive to taste/smell. I can't do water additives like crystal light, Mio, etc. that other people seem to use a lot of. When I'm not drinking water, I make a homemade "limeade" with fresh squeezed limes, apple cider vinegar, water, and stevia. I hate stevia, but I seem to handle it better than other sweeteners. Can't stand Monk Fruit.

On 3/15/2022 at 10:16 PM, AngelaLynnFL said:

Hi everyone! 👋 my name is Angela and my surgery (sleeve) is scheduled for 4/14. I have been planning for months and doing all the steps for Insurance and now that it's all approved.....finally....I'm so scared!!!! Anyone wanna be a buddy?

Hi Angela, did you ever find a buddy? My sleeve surgery was on April 12th. I’m looking for a buddy too.

On 5/25/2022 at 3:59 PM, Jen83Atl said:

Same here Leslie. I had mine on the 13th and still don’t feel like I can possibly eat enough to get the Protein or calories suggested. But it does get a little easier everyday! Just getting burned out of what I can eat 😝 Missing some foods for sure!!!!

Hi Jen, did you find a buddy yet? I had sleeve surgery on April 12, 2022. I’m looking for a buddy. I’m 54 years old and live in Minnesota.

8 minutes ago, suzannethemom said:

Hi Angela, did you ever find a buddy? My sleeve surgery was on April 12th. I’m looking for a buddy too.

I had mini gastric bypass 4/14.

3 minutes ago, Cara_luvnlite said:

I had mini gastric bypass 4/14.

What is mini gastric bypass? I’ve never heard of it.

2 minutes ago, suzannethemom said:

What is mini gastric bypass? I’ve never heard of it.

It's similar to a gastric bypass but less invasive and reversible. Sleeve wasn't an option for me because of my acid reflux

On 6/25/2022 at 1:35 PM, Pastor Tracy said:

Good morning ladies, how is everyone doing post surgery?

Hello dear, I hope you are well.

I have been hitting stall after stall. I have lost 28 pounds since my surgery on 22/4. A little disheartened. I will be ok 🤍 sending you all big hugs