Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

April 2022 Surgery Buddies

3 hours ago, Love&Light said:

Hi everyone, I hope you are all well. I had a question - I am 8 weeks post op and for the past two weeks I don't feel like eating at all. I have to remind myself. Previously I was ravenous. I also noticed that I am tried when I previously wasn't. I manage to hit my daily Protein targets through shakes. I am having all my supplements. I am struggling with Water and food. Has / is anyone else gone / going through this?

1st off I hope this gets easier for you soon. I'm 9 weeks post op and haven't been able to tolerate food in weeks. Protein is my biggest Aversion. Can't eat it or drink my shakes. I've never been able to Meer my protein goals. My surgeon and dietitian think it is the hormones being wacky from severe dehydration. They put me back on Clear Liquids for a few days but I'm still not able to reach my fluid goals. Everything is upsetting my stomach (yes, even water). I went and got a myers bag IV (banana bag) 2 days ago but no relief yet.

Surgery is June 23. Gastric bypass. Highest weight, 270 July 2021.

Current weight 188 with 4 more days to go on my liquid diet. Height 5'6" BMI 30 (barely). Age 65.

Why am I going through with surgery after losing 82 lbs pre-op? Statistics show that I will have a much better chance at keeping my weight off vs a 2-5% chance without the surgery . I'm tired of fighting obesity!

I went on a weight loss mission, pre-op, to reduce my risk of post op complications and to train myself for life with my new anatomy. I'm ready!

7 minutes ago, Abbielane26 said:

Current weight 188 with 4 more days to go on my liquid diet. Height 5'6" BMI 30 (barely). Age 65.

Why am I going through with surgery after losing 82 lbs pre-op? Statistics show that I will have a much better chance at keeping my weight off vs a 2-5% chance without the surgery . I'm tired of fighting obesity!

I went on a weight loss mission, pre-op, to reduce my risk of post op complications and to train myself for life with my new anatomy. I'm ready!

Good for you, that's awesome!!! I only had a 4 day preop diet and let me tell you it's been hell. I think that helps you alot with the mental part of food. Keep us posted!!!

8 minutes ago, Abbielane26 said:

I was a bmi of 30 pre-op as well and am almost to a normal bmi. Long-term weight maintenance is the hard. Good for you for doing what’s best for you!

4 hours ago, Quesodip251 said:

I was a bmi of 30 pre-op as well and am almost to a normal bmi. Long-term weight maintenance is the hard. Good for you for doing what’s best for you!

May I ask when your surgery was? I'm not expecting to reach my goal weight especially quickly.

4 hours ago, Cara_luvnlite said:

Good for you, that's awesome!!! I only had a 4 day preop diet and let me tell you it's been hell. I think that helps you alot with the mental part of food. Keep us posted!!!

Thank you for the kind words. Best to you! It's a personal struggle for sure.

Just now, Abbielane26 said:

May I ask when your surgery was? I'm not expecting to reach my goal weight especially quickly.

It was late April. Also had gastric bypass. Sitting at 25.5 bmi now but it keeps getting harder to lose now that I can eat more…grrr

4 minutes ago, Quesodip251 said:

It was late April. Also had gastric bypass. Sitting at 25.5 bmi now but it keeps getting harder to lose now that I can eat more…grrr

Love, how do I update my surgery info on my profile? Am I not seeing the option cause I need to be on an actual computer?

7 minutes ago, Cara_luvnlite said:

Love, how do I update my surgery info on my profile? Am I not seeing the option cause I need to be on an actual computer?

Download the app and then on the front page click on “patient information”. It’ll pop right up, then click “update”. You reminded me that I needed to update mine, lol

Download the app and then on the front page click on “patient information”. It’ll pop right up, then click “update”. You reminded me that I needed to update mine, lol
Thank you. I have no idea if I have a glitch on my end because I literally uninstalled it and re-downloaded and it still doesn't give me an option. Oh well, I really appreciate your help.

Sent from my SM-G986U using BariatricPal mobile app

2 minutes ago, Cara_luvnlite said:

Thank you. I have no idea if I have a glitch on my end because I literally uninstalled it and re-downloaded and it still doesn't give me an option. Oh well, I really appreciate your help.

Sent from my SM-G986U using BariatricPal mobile app

Do you have an icon called “profile” in the right-handed corner?

10 minutes ago, Quesodip251 said:

Do you have an icon called “profile” in the right-handed corner?

I do! It will let update my b day and address and occupation but won't let me do surgery info. I sent an email to the app cust service, hopefully they can figure it out. Just so much easier when your info is in there when your chatting. Thanks so much for taking the time to help me.

26 minutes ago, Quesodip251 said:

Maybe I need

Good afternoon,

I'm officially 10 weeks post op after VSG. I've only lost 48 lbs, but I'm feeling SO much better than before.

Just curious for anyone who's been out of surgery around the same time (my date was April 13th) and what you've lost during this time.

I'm not worried about not losing more because 48lbs in 10 weeks is still a great amount to have lost, but my surgeon said I would've lost between 50-60 lbs by 8 weeks out, on average.

:) Weight loss is consistent now, I didn't lose anything for about 3+ weeks after week 3 while I was healing, but now it's consistently about 3-4 lbs down every week.

I've also found it helpful to include at least 2 tbsp a day of some type of grain or starch (nothing processed/white/wheat). When I stay lower in carbs (below 35), I don't lose weight at all for that week.

Hi @Rachel_Hannah! I had my surgery the same day as you (April 13th). I had lost some weight pre surgery so went into surgery at 297lbs. and today am weighing in at 253 lbs. So sounds like we have experienced similar weight loss. It’s hard to not get frustrated that more weight hasn’t come off BUT I constantly try to remind myself that close to 50 lbs. in just over two months in pretty amazing 🤩

How is your eating? I basically never want to eat anything as nausea is pretty bad so I know that if I can work to get more Protein and Water I will probably do even better. Also need to be more consistent with working out. How’s that going for you?

31 minutes ago, Jen83Atl said:

Hi @Rachel_Hannah! I had my surgery the same day as you (April 13th). I had lost some weight pre surgery so went into surgery at 297lbs. and today am weighing in at 253 lbs. So sounds like we have experienced similar weight loss. It’s hard to not get frustrated that more weight hasn’t come off BUT I constantly try to remind myself that close to 50 lbs. in just over two months in pretty amazing 🤩

How is your eating? I basically never want to eat anything as nausea is pretty bad so I know that if I can work to get more Protein and Water I will probably do even better. Also need to be more consistent with working out. How’s that going for you?

Same! It's OK, even though I'm not where I thought I'd be, I'm happy to be losing consistently and not gaining it!

I'm sorry you're experiencing so much nausea, I usually don't get nauseated unless I'm really about to vomit. Have you spoken with your doctor about trying Zofran to help with the nausea?

My eating is OK. I struggle a lot, it seems many things make me vomit or can't be tolerated. I make sure to chew very, very well and to make sure not to overeat ever. Usually eat a 4-6 oz meal over an hour or 90 minutes to make sure I don't overdo it.

If using portion cups, I have between 1/2c and 3/4c of food, depending on what I'm eating. When it's 000 vanilla yogurt + blueberries I do the 1/2c yogurt and 1/4c blueberries, but normal meals with protein/veg are just 1/2c (4oz).

I can finally get all of my Protein and most of the Water in everyday. I'm not quite to 64oz, but most days I'm really close. It's difficult to drink that much Fluid throughout the day because I'm on the phone all day at work, so the time I have to down water is limited to before taking calls, on breaks, and after work (7pm at night).

I walk, I swim, or I jump on the elliptical for a few minutes if it's raining and I can't walk. I've tried working out with resistance bands, but just a few sets into a workout, I feel like I'm going to pass out. I'm having about 750 calories a day most days, sometimes less if I ate something that made me vomit that day because for the rest of the day I can only have liquid because my stomach is unforgiving.

I actually did pass out a couple weeks ago, apparently. We took our daughter to Legoland and I thought I had been drinking enough and forgot to eat (breakfast at 9am, but should've had protein or snack by 12pm and didn't). I don't remember what happened, but I woke up in the medical facility being cared for, they said I passed out and needed to be hydrated ASAP. They gave me 2 gatorade popsicles and made me drink my Protein Shake (premier protein carton my husband gave to them) and eventually I was feeling better and caught up with the family to continue our vacation.

:) Truth is, I have hashimotos and because of the restrictions in eating, I feel 1000xs better. Free from the fatigue and the brain fog, I can finally reach my toes again, and I'm all around feeling better than I did at 421lbs (or the 381 I was at on the day of surgery).

I really hope that you find it easier to be consistent. Sometimes setting hard boundaries are needed when you have a set day/time/times that you decide to walk/exercise. My daughter is 12 and a good helper, she reminds me every morning about our walks together OR getting on the elliptical and we go swimming every Saturday, sometimes Thursday or Sunday too, depending on how I feel. :)

I don't stress the exercise as much right now because I'm consistent enough that when I take a day to rest, I'm not upsetting anything. My doctor asked me to start working up to eating 1000 calories a day by my 3 month post op, but I don't think that's going to happen. At 750 I feel full all day long and can hardly eat more and I don't eat fats in my food unless I have olives or avocado because I can't process it very well.

But alas, we are all different. I've seen many stating how they feel great and can eat pretty much anything with no issues and I'm happy that they can. I'm hoping to grow up and be like them someday, LOL. Unfortunately, that's not my story for now.