Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dr says no more protein shakes

Not a fan of the shakes but saying Protein doesnt matter and to only eat one meal a day is a little out there in my view.

Ya I’m just a little concerned how a shake could work against me…. And since I will probably be only able to eat about 2oz at a time if I can’t have a shake then I’ll only be getting 2oz of Protein a day bathe like 6-10 grams max

12 minutes ago, soulfiremama said:

Ya I’m just a little concerned how a shake could work against me…. And since I will probably be only able to eat about 2oz at a time if I can’t have a shake then I’ll only be getting 2oz of Protein a day bathe like 6-10 grams max

I would ask the surgeon again and maybe consult the nutritionist. I cannot believe this is accurate.

I don't think it is possible to live off that little nutrition. Good luck, I think there has to be some type of misunderstanding going on.

That doesn't make sense. Can you email him or the nutritionist and get it in writing? Ask why you should only eat 2 oz a day?

I have heard some doctors say they want patients to stop using the shakes to eat "real food" but no one who expects you to live on 2 oz of food a day!

This has to be the most draconian crash diet of which I've ever heard.

I always say to follow the plan because once we start picking and choosing we're no longer on a plan, but...

Asking different medical team members can yield different answers. My surgeon was four square against Protein Shakes, while his associate was all for them. You gotta love consistency, but at least you can "plan shop."

Good luck,

Tek

I would say this surgeon seems more concerned with results on the scale than the health of the patients.

We eat little enough already in the first few months following WLS, but one small meal day is a disaster in the making, it isn't sustainable and setting patients up for failure. They will battle fatigue, hunger, muscle wastage, greater Hair loss, Vitamin and mineral deficiency (if not supplementing to the nth degree) etc etc

I agree with asking for email or something. It’s sad but people are more careful when they put things in writing because it’s such a litigious world we live in. I hope you will get a different version that way because one meal A day does not make sense.

This concerns me too. I hope you find some answers & (more sensible to me anyway) advice. Even though your dietician appointment isn’t until April, reach out & see if you can get an earlier appointment or if they’re willing to speak to you on the phone or via email.

I got off Protein Shakes & onto real food from week 3 & the purée stage - my choice. Sure I wasn’t eating much & didn’t meet my Protein goals to begin but I was eating three times a day.

All the best.

Edited by Arabesque

we were allowed to go off Protein Shakes at the point we were getting most (if not all) our Protein from our food, but some of us stayed on them (I STILL have one every day at almost seven years out), and they were fine with that. I know some surgeons want their patients off them pretty quickly - so I guess that's not that unusual BUT....as others have said, the rest of what he told you is nuts. Is there a dietitian in that clinic that you could work with?

That's counter to everything all of us have ever heard. Protein is the main focus. While they eventually want you getting your protein from whole foods and not from shakes, it doesn't make sense that he would say protein doesn't matter or to try to stop you from getting them from shakes at this point. Talk to the nutritionist.