Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

This surgery is bullshit...

I had gastric sleeve surgery on July 21st. Over the first six weeks I lost 30lbs. I haven't lost a single pound since then..... My doctor keeps saying I need to keep my daily calorie intake to 800 or less to lose weight. I haven't been logging everything but I think I'm staying around that number... I'm not a very disciplined person so keeping track of that every day usually doesn't happen. I'm super frustrated and getting depressed over this. If I was able to lose weight by sticking to a very strict diet and exercise program I would have done that a long time ago and never had the surgery. I had a big part of my stomach removed for nothing.... Anybody else out there who can't lose weight even after weight loss surgery? I don't know what to do....

With all kindness, your doctor knows what to do. They are they experts. Follow their plan to a T. That is how you’ll lose the weight. I followed EXACTLY what my doctor told me to do 99% of the time. I’m over two years out, down 146 lbs, and easily maintaining my loss. I did it by developing new habits guided by my physician and her team.

if you're eating 800 calories a day, you'd be losing weight. I know you said you hate logging, but it sounds like that's what you need to do, unfortunately...

So why have the surgery and not just see a nutritionist and personal trainer then follow their plan? What point does it serve to remove a portion of someone's stomach and then tell them to follow a very strict diet and exercise program to lose weight? If people don't have a problem with diet and exercise they don't need to take drastic measures like surgery.

Because the surgery helps people better manage a very strict diet program so they can actually sticks to it. Some people lose their hunger for months, making it much easier to be satisfied at 800 calories. Even when hunger returns, a smaller stomach helps with Portion Control.

47 minutes ago, goodmanje said:

So why have the surgery and not just see a nutritionist and personal trainer then follow their plan? What point does it serve to remove a portion of someone's stomach and then tell them to follow a very strict diet and exercise program to lose weight? If people don't have a problem with diet and exercise they don't need to take drastic measures like surgery.

only about 5% of people are able to lose a significant amount of weight and keep it off. Unfortunately, I was not one of the 5%. I always gained back every pound of it. Surgery is the only thing that ever worked for me.

11/28/2021 02:31 PM, goodmanje said:

I had gastric sleeve surgery on July 21st. Over the first six weeks I lost 30lbs. I haven't lost a single pound since then..... My doctor keeps saying I need to keep my daily calorie intake to 800 or less to lose weight. I haven't been logging everything but I think I'm staying around that number... I'm not a very disciplined person so keeping track of that every day usually doesn't happen. I'm super frustrated and getting depressed over this. If I was able to lose weight by sticking to a very strict diet and exercise program I would have done that a long time ago and never had the surgery. I had a big part of my stomach removed for nothing.... Anybody else out there who can't lose weight even after weight loss surgery? I don't know what to do....

There is a Baritastic app that is very easy to use to track your calories. You can scan items or manually add them. Super quick super easy just go to your App Store and search Baritastic you will find it. I’ve watched my 600 pound life and it seems that they do not loose weight or start to regain when they eat to high of calories or wrong food. Like mashed potatoes and gravy etc. remember high Protein low carb. (Maybe try watching a few episodes you glean a lot of insight and information from it) I would try to get in with your nutritionist after you have logged your food for a week if you still are not loosing. Remember the surgery is just a tool not a miracle! Good luck!

WLS is a tool. Like most tools, it makes the job easier but it doesn't do all the work. VSG is intended to restrict volume. It makes it harder to eat a large volume of food at one time.

Our post-op plans specify certain types and volumes of food.

In the early months when the restriction is new you (editorial you) often can't eat the amount of food for which your plan calls. For a period you can barely eat your full meal. During this period you are creating new habits: Healthier food choices, defined portions, new expectations, with the positive reinforcement of losing weight. If you haven't followed plan you will still lose weight for a short time, but having not changed habits, attitude, or outlook when the time comes when you can eat more you do.

Making these habit changes later, when the restriction has relaxed, can be nearly as difficult as doing it without surgery.

Good luck,

Tek

Edited by The Greater Fool

Exactly, the surgery is bullshit. It's a total gamble.... I would never recommend someone have two thirds of a healthy organ removed from their body because it MIGHT help them develop a habit.

2 minutes ago, goodmanje said:

Exactly, the surgery is bullshit. It's a total gamble.... I would never recommend someone have two thirds of a healthy organ removed from their body because it MIGHT help them develop a habit.

I get that you are frustrated and perhaps angry.

Honestly, it's not too late for you, unless you give up. Your surgery is still there. It will make what you still need to do easier.

From what I see you have received good advice: Follow your plan to the letter, weigh your food, log your food, don't drink with meals. These things are what will get you losing weight.

These are also the things you refuse to do.

It seems you would rather quit and blame the surgery. As with all things, it's your life, it's your choice.

Good luck,

Tek

That's all great advice. I agree 100%. All of the advice given would work without having surgery. That's all I'm saying. If you want to lose weight it's all down to diet and exercise. With or without surgery.... So my advise to anyone considering the surgery is don't do it. All you have to do is work hard, follow a plan and don't give up. It's your choice.

Good luck with that.

Sorry to hear things have been rough. Tracking calories does not work for me, I’ve learned from other eating plans that it makes me obsessive, and is not sustainable for me.

Perhaps talking with a nutritionist about what you are eating each day might help? I follow the rules of 60 or more grams of Protein each day, no added sugar, 5 g or less fat per serving, and eat until I am satisfied. No more. During the work week, I eat the same thing every day from Breakfast until afternoon snack. Dinners are healthy and usually involve some form of chicken or turkey. I know this might not work for everyone, but it makes it easy for me and my weight loss has been great.

Ultimately, each person is different, and what works for me and my program may not work best for you. I hope you find something that works for you, and allows you to use your new tool to the fullest!

17 minutes ago, goodmanje said:

That's all great advice. I agree 100%. All of the advice given would work without having surgery. That's all I'm saying. If you want to lose weight it's all down to diet and exercise. With or without surgery.... So my advise to anyone considering the surgery is don't do it. All you have to do is work hard, follow a plan and don't give up. It's your choice.

Good luck with that.

I agree. WLS is not for everyone, perhaps not even for most.

I further agree that with or without surgery, losing weight is a matter of calories in vs. calories out.

WLS is not magic. It requires us to follow a well defined plan for the rest of our lives, lest we not lose enough or even gain the weight back. It requires commitment. It's not sold as easy, at least not to me.

How did you imagine all this would play out for you? Literally, what did you expect you needed to do and what the surgery would do?

Tek

Edited by The Greater Fool