Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My Plastic Surgery Thread

50 minutes ago, catwoman7 said:

my lumpy areas eventually softened and flattened out. Supposedly massage helps break up the tissue - so firmly massage the area (not to the point it hurts, though) two or three times a day when you can (depends on how far out you are from surgery - if things are healed up pretty well, it should be OK to massage). At least that was what I was told...

33 minutes ago, GreenTealael said:

😭I HAVE THE SAME SCAR TISSUE 😭

I thought I was alone, I am massaging it vigorously in hopes it won't stay hard. But i scar horribly so there's only so much that can be done for me

My massage therapist told me to massage and stretch gently. The scar tissue areas have interestingly had most of the sensation return. So they are now tender and sore, so I'm hesitant to massage too much. I'm also a big baby, so there is that. The scar tissue may have been there for a while, but I just didn't feel it because it as under my raised incisions. I don't typically scar badly, but the amount of scar tissue scares and worries me 😟

Also forgot to update on my lymphatic massages. I have had 5, and have my 6th and last one tomorrow. I'm bummed because they don't seem to have worked for me at all. I'm just as swollen on days I do and do not get the massages. My therapist is very well regarded, so I don't think that is the issue. I felt like I had to try it in hopes it would help. But in retrospect, I'd love to have that (pretty significant amount) of money back :(

Edited by sillykitty

19 minutes ago, GreenTealael said:

Which type of compression are you getting?

I have the M&D Colombiana style Faja and Childdddddddd it's tight. I'm JUST starting to wear it more often but good gravy I have shallow breaths while wearing it

I have this one on the way

Cupid Extra Firm High Waist Smoothing Thigh Slimmer

Your faja scares me 😳 I also want something that is super smooth, so it won't show under my dresses. I have another garment that hooks like a bra in the front, but it is visable under a lot of outfits. I feel like the faja would be as well. What do you think?

17 minutes ago, sillykitty said:

My massage therapist told me to massage and stretch gently. The scar tissue areas have interestingly had most of the sensation return. So they are now tender and sore, so I'm hesitant to massage too much. I'm also a big baby, so there is that. The scar tissue may have been there for a while, but I just didn't feel it because it as under my raised incisions. I don't typically scar badly, but the amount of scar tissue scares and worries me 😟

Also forgot to update on my lymphatic massages. I have had 5, and have my 6th and last one tomorrow. I'm bummed because they don't seem to have worked for m at all. I'm just as swollen on days I do and do not get the massages. My therapist is very well regarded, so I don't think that is the issue. I felt like I had to try it in hopes it would help. But in retrospect, I'd love to have that (pretty significant) amount of money back :(

Awwwwww man, that's a bummer. I had noticeable results after mine and now that I'm home I can't seem to find anyone who does it in my area ... so I'm sad

Ok try putting on compression gear immediately after the massage to see if that helps too. I was rewrapped in my binder immediately post massage. Everything was about softening the skin, moving the Fluid, then compressing the F out of the area.

I'm noticing now that I swell around the areas that are not compressed (like wearing a binder or corset) so I'm trying to keep my results uniform by wearing the Faja during the day and seamless Shapewear to bed ... I need this South Beach body to show up 😂😭

Edited by GreenTealael

8 minutes ago, sillykitty said:

I have this one on the way

Cupid Extra Firm High Waist Smoothing Thigh Slimmer

Your faja scares me 😳 I also want something that is super smooth, so it won't show under my dresses. I have another garment that hooks like a bra in the front, but it is visable under a lot of outfits. I feel like the faja would be as well. What do you think?

yes it may show up under softer/thinner, lighter colored fabrics

But at this point I NEED it (I also have areas of lipo) so if its visible IDC or my results will just be terrible/mediocre... I can already tell

I could get a slightly less structured Faja for downtime... I've been eyeing a few on Amazon

Edited by GreenTealael

3 minutes ago, GreenTealael said:

yes it may show up under softer/thinner, lighter colored fabrics

But at this point I NEED it (I also have areas of lipo) or my results will just be terrible/mediocre... I can already tell

I could get a slightly less structured Faja for downtime... I've been eyeing a few on Amazon

Why would compression affect your results so dramatically do you feel?

I think I'm pretty tight and taunt, and don't think compression would change or improve my results. But I didn't have Lipo either. So compression for me would just be to combat swelling. It's a trade off between feeling like a balloon and feeling like a stuffed sausage 😂

1 hour ago, sillykitty said:

Why would compression affect your results so dramatically do you feel?

I think I'm pretty tight and taunt, and don't think compression would change or improve my results. But I didn't have Lipo either. So compression for me would just be to combat swelling. It's a trade off between feeling like a balloon and feeling like a stuffed sausage 😂

...personally, I like the stuffed sausage sensation over the balloon effect, lol.

When you have Lipo you have to use compression garments to help bind the skin back to the muscle layer for tissue regeneration to happen quicker & to prevent the amount of scar tissue developing in the space created by Lipo plus compression aims to prevent excess swelling

However there are a few schools of thought on this, some surgeons say no need to wear compression wear beyond the first few day, my surgeon said binder for 2 weeks then progress to the Faja until you feel its no longer necessary,

I already see how swollen I get and how quickly I happens if I don't compress (sides not abdomen... That's going to do what it wants for a while I noticed)

I just ordered something less tight than my current Faja (which the vendor did tell me was the second tightest one you could get- sounded like a good idea when I was higher than a kite 😂... But now FML)

Edited by GreenTealael

@sillykitty get latisse prescription for your lashes, my daughter uses it, amazing results, scrip is about $175

7 hours ago, sillykitty said:

Also forgot to update on my lymphatic massages. I have had 5, and have my 6th and last one tomorrow. I'm bummed because they don't seem to have worked for me at all. I'm just as swollen on days I do and do not get the massages. My therapist is very well regarded, so I don't think that is the issue. I felt like I had to try it in hopes it would help. But in retrospect, I'd love to have that (pretty significant amount) of money back :(

Reminder to all (not sillykitty): Please check with your surgeon on when it is appropriate to start massaging your scar as starting it too soon can lead to thicker scars.

Per the following journal article on Postsurgical Scar Management:

“Following the initial 2- to 3-week period of healing, the scar has built enough tensile strength to allow for the initiation of scar massage, which is an effective and cost efficient technique for scar management. It is important to note that scar massage should not be started until the wound has closed completely. Scar massage needs to be performed carefully so as not to cause any additional trauma to the closed incision.”

Edited by MarinaGirl

4 hours ago, Sosewsue61 said:

@sillykitty get latisse prescription for your lashes, my daughter uses it, amazing results, scrip is about $175

Interesting, my mom has used it before and the results were less than amazing. Pro-tip, much much cheaper in MX

(I'm also terrible at any kind of beauty routine, I doubt my own reliability on applying it daily :( )

6 hours ago, GreenTealael said:

When you have Lipo you have to use compression garments to help bind the skin back to the muscle layer for tissue regeneration to happen quicker & to prevent the amount of scar tissue developing in the space created by Lipo plus compression aims to prevent excess swelling

However there are a few schools of thought on this, some surgeons say no need to wear compression wear beyond the first few day, my surgeon said binder for 2 weeks then progress to the Faja until you feel its no longer necessary,

My surgeon is a believer in "tissues need to bind together" as well (just doesn't think compression is necessary to do so after the first day). I was told absolutely no traditional types of massages, or anything else that would affect the surgical area tissues from healing together. (Lymphatic massage was given the ok)

11 hours ago, sillykitty said:

I was told absolutely no traditional types of massages, or anything else that would affect the surgical area tissues from healing together. (Lymphatic massage was given the ok)

Same! the therapist even instructed me that they were not allowed to touch the abdomen directly because the surgeon did not want to shift those tissues around.

22 hours ago, GreenTealael said:

Same! the therapist even instructed me that they were not allowed to touch the abdomen directly because the surgeon did not want to shift those tissues around.

Did you surgeon tell you how long not to touch?

Cuz my surgeon instructed me to start massaging any at my 3 week post op appointment....?