Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Out With the Old--In With the New!

9 minutes ago, newself said:

ME TOO!!!!!!!!! AMEN SISTER! ME TOO!!!!!!

Here is my experience with volume (we had different procedures but close to same surgery date); some days I can eat close to 1/2 cup, other days I can barely eat a 6 oz light yogurt. It's weird and a little scary to me as well, but it is what it is, and I'm soooo thankful that I have felt great and have not had any of the uncomfortable side effects that others have suffered. Also, the very few extra calories give me the added energy to move well! I'm noticing my clothes are fitting properly vs being tight, so I figure I'm doing something right. Staying away from the scale bc of the 3 week stall.

On a happy note, I had to go to a dinner and literally the only item on the menu that was even a little bit appropriate was chili... I ate about 1/2 of the cup and I was very full but I did not feel cheated or left out. Pre surgery would have been a much different meal for me with feelings of shame and guilt afterward. So... even though it's only been 3 weeks I'm beyond happy with my choice to have this procedure, and I'm keeping a log of these happy victories for when I feel frustrated and upset.

LOL misery DOES love company. LOL. It's so bizarro cuz I'm not worried about "too many calories" or "too few calories" or too many carbs/too few carbs, etc. LOL. And I feel good knowing I'm getting my 60g of Protein for the day. My only concern is not wanting to fu*k my tool by unwittingly eating too much. And it makes it so hard to know what is "too much" cuz there is absolutely NOTHING consistent about the entire mess--and very little feedback from my tummy itself. I wish it would you know send me a sign! Psssst! We're at max cap--put the fork down now, bit*h. LOL.

For abject rule followers this is a nightmare scenario. Me=abject rule follower nerd. ROFL!

It sounds like for you, your new sleeve is giving you some feedback? Which is awesome!!! The only thing my tummy tells me is that after breakfast--which is huge = 2 meals: protein coffees + eggs of some kind, I absolutely do not have room or desire for a morning snack. So I have totally kicked that meal to the curb. I'm ok with that! Cuz I'm getting about 20g of protein in the 2 brekky meals. Do you feel that same way?

Your dinner out sounds like you did famously!!! I think doing 1/3-1/2 cup of chili might be a reasonable quantity? But dunno.

So happy your clothes are fitting better!!!! And the log of happy victories is a stellar idea!!!

((hugs)) Please come back and let's talk through this stuff??

(Oh what I did find from 1 source at 3-4weeks post op is that you do not want to exceed 3oz per meal of any soft solid?)

Edited by FluffyChix

I hope I don’t feel hunger like this after sleeve surgery - Because I have that trouble now after a big meal, hunger pains after 30mins!!! 😳

I haven’t had the surgery yet, 4 more months of doctor monitored diet.... but I know my doctor has repeatedly stated in discussion’s that carbohydrates are to be a thing of the past as of now and to focus mostly on Protein. Low to no sugar. And gave us a list of pre approved Vitamins, shakes, powders, drinks we could have before and after surgery. And also said when in doubt please ask at the center for adjustments off the listed items. We have pre op and post op list.

19 minutes ago, stacy71 said:

I hope I don’t feel hunger like this after sleeve surgery - Because I have that trouble now after a big meal, hunger pains after 30mins!!! 😳

I haven’t had the surgery yet, 4 more months of doctor monitored diet.... but I know my doctor has repeatedly stated in discussion’s that carbohydrates are to be a thing of the past as of now and to focus mostly on Protein. Low to no sugar. And gave us a list of pre approved Vitamins, shakes, powders, drinks we could have before and after surgery. And also said when in doubt please ask at the center for adjustments off the listed items. We have pre op and post op list.

Yes, I am eating fewer than about 20g net per day from diet alone--mostly in the low teens. My Vitamins which are surgeon approved, gives about 12g of carbs with 10g of those being sugar alcohols/fiber. Celebrate Bariatric Vits.

1 hour ago, FluffyChix said:

LOL misery DOES love company. LOL. It's so bizarro cuz I'm not worried about "too many calories" or "too few calories" or too many carbs/too few carbs, etc. LOL. And I feel good knowing I'm getting my 60g of Protein for the day. My only concern is not wanting to fu*k my tool by unwittingly eating too much. And it makes it so hard to know what is "too much" cuz there is absolutely NOTHING consistent about the entire mess--and very little feedback from my tummy itself. I wish it would you know send me a sign! Psssst! We're at max cap--put the fork down now, bit*h. LOL.

For abject rule followers this is a nightmare scenario. Me=abject rule follower nerd. ROFL!

It sounds like for you, your new sleeve is giving you some feedback? Which is awesome!!! The only thing my tummy tells me is that after breakfast--which is huge = 2 meals: Protein coffees + eggs of some kind, I absolutely do not have room or desire for a morning snack. So I have totally kicked that meal to the curb. I'm ok with that! Cuz I'm getting about 20g of protein in the 2 brekky meals. Do you feel that same way?

Your dinner out sounds like you did famously!!! I think doing 1/3-1/2 cup of chili might be a reasonable quantity? But dunno.

So happy your clothes are fitting better!!!! And the log of happy victories is a stellar idea!!!

((hugs)) Please come back and let's talk through this stuff??

(Oh what I did find from 1 source at 3-4weeks post op is that you do not want to exceed 3oz per meal of any soft solid?)

I can feel when I need to stop eating. It's hard to describe, it's a feeling in my chest of.... fullness? or maybe a tight feeling might be the best way to describe the feeling. I'm trying hard to figure out when to stop before the feeling happens, but this is all so new. And yes, I agree! In the morning, I have Liquid Protein (premier drink) and an hour later a small amount of soft protein (1/2 egg?) but then I cannot even think about eating or drinking anything other than Water until around 1ish. But in the later afternoon I can have a snack (1/4 c egg salad- greek yogurt no mayo) then I am able to have a dinner of 3 oz soft protein. I do weigh food but I'm trying to weigh and measure so I can figure out the appropriate amount when scenarios like the chili incident occurs I can figure it out? I'm a rule follower too and very cautious of messing things up but at this point I'm not too worried about stretching anything out- just trying to meet all requirements and eat enough to keep my metabolism from shutting down which my dr warned me about. This learning curve is exhausting.

40 minutes ago, FluffyChix said:

Yes, I am eating fewer than about 20g net per day from diet alone--mostly in the low teens. My Vitamins which are surgeon approved, gives about 12g of carbs with 10g of those being sugar alcohols/fiber. Celebrate Bariatric Vits.

Sounds good... I’m trying to prepare myself for what may happen. I don’t know what everyone is going through and trying to read up! Thanks

@stacy71 yes. That's so normal. I did that too. I read everything on here. LOL. But to an extent, all the reading, did little but helped me pass the time. Things are so different when you are truly in it. You know? Like this stupid fear of whether or not I'm eating the right amount. LOL. I woulda thought after so much research, it would be internalized and I would "just know". But my new anatomy isn't behaving like others on here.

I feel like I can eat a cast Iron sink and be oblivious. I can drink without issues and feel like I can eat and eat. So many others are still having probs getting their fluids and Protein liquids down. It's very surreal. I would never have predicted this would be the case.

Well I think it all goes back to the fact that we are all iindividuals. It seems to run the gamut from " I got out of the hospital, climb 3 flights of stairs, set my hospital bag down and then went to the mall. I feel wonderful!" to " I feel like I was drug backwards down a gravel highway. I have my Fluid and shakes next to my recliner. I get up every 2 hours to go to the bathroom, I lean forward and vomit up my shakes. I've probably lost weight but I'm too weak and dizzy to get on a scale". I'm apprehensive I'll be the latter, but I won't know until my day comes. In the meantime I just read everybody elses account. What is the saying? Oh Yes- Hope for the best---Prepare for the Worst. And that's the way the Wistful RnY- -er (ME) sees it all.[emoji20][emoji20][emoji20][emoji20][emoji20]

Sent from my VS880PP using BariatricPal mobile app

42 minutes ago, frust8 said:

Well I think it all goes back to the fact that we are all iindividuals. It seems to run the gamut from " I got out of the hospital, climb 3 flights of stairs, set my hospital bag down and then went to the mall. I feel wonderful!" to " I feel like I was drug backwards down a gravel highway. I have my Fluid and shakes next to my recliner. I get up every 2 hours to go to the bathroom, I lean forward and vomit up my shakes. I've probably lost weight but I'm too weak and dizzy to get on a scale". I'm apprehensive I'll be the latter, but I won't know until my day comes. In the meantime I just read everybody elses account. What is the saying? Oh Yes- Hope for the best---Prepare for the Worst. And that's the way the Wistful RnY- -er (ME) sees it all.

Sent from my VS880PP using BariatricPal mobile app

Exactly!!!!! You never can tell, just like any surgery in general I guess- it’s all taking a chance 👍

Yep, we all vary.

And maybe even vary by the day! My Breakfast - pod of Nespresso coffee, made and chilled the night before, plus 50ml milk, ice cubes and vanilla Protein - great slushy. Keeps me full til lunch. Except this week when, by 10.30 I am ‘hungry’ or some damn thing.

Lunch - low fat chilli beer stick with 1oz cheese, at 11am. Am still full from that, and am cooking chickpea curry with baby Spinach and broccoli for dinner at 6.45pm. 3/4 cup of that will see me til bed.

Last week, I was not at all hungry during the day - could have skipped lunch if I forgot to note it.

So - take good notes my fluffy friend, these all add value to us all, but chill. Don’t stuff yourself, get 60g protein and good veggies, and tolerate being a bit hungry if 3/4 cup leaves you with that - I still reckon your ‘tightening up’ moment is likely on your horizon!

xxx

Thanks dear! How long before your tool communicated with you?

Day 21 - Week 3 Post Op - 212lbs (-10.4lbs from SW of 222.4lbs)
Good morning. So today is one of the milestones: Week 3 Post Op. Just wanted to make a couple of key observations and I will probably post my food log for a tiny bit.
It appears that the 3 week "stall" is alive and well perhaps? For the last 2 days, there really has been little scale love. It's been bouncing around between the same half pound--up and down. Yesterday I was up to 212.2lbs and today I'm back down to 212lbs. LOL. I realize that can be simple scale fluctuation. No scale is that accurate--even Tanita.
I do have a slight feeling that all the sugar alcohols from my Vitamins along with the 60cals/day that they provide is crazy making. And they may also contribute to the scale stuff. But I'm just gonna document and wait it out. It's not as if I have much option. LOL. I see the surgeon next week, and then see the RD right behind that appt. So I will def ask.
The other thing that bothers me is the lack of consensus about volume. I continue to fear that eating too much volume, too early will stretch out my anastamoses. Fact or crap? No idea. But from 5 different references, each gives a different volume amount for 3 weeks.
My RD (verbally at 3 weeks): 1/4c working up to 1/2c food + binder with diet--1-2oz Protein, 1/4c soft veg or soft fruit, 1/4c starch; 3 meals per day; 2-3 Snacks optional--1/4c-1/2c food depending on slider nature--1oz prot + soft fruit
**This equals: 1/4-1/2c protein + 1/4c veg + 1/4c starch or fruit = 3/4-1c of food!
My Hospital RD (written diet) still alternates protein supplements with 6oz yogurt with a meal. Meal consists of 1oz protein + 1/4c soft veg on an alternating schedule.
**This equals: 1/4 protein + 1/4c veg = 1/2c of food!
My Surgeon (verbally at beginning at 2 weeks) may advance to soft, fork tender foods stage, eating to tolerance 1-2oz protein + a couple bites of veg + a bite or 2 of soft fruits or starch.
**So that's about 1/2c of food at 3 meals. (Plus I can have a snack.)
Obesity Coverage Website (thanks [mention=323697]Apple203[/mention])-Soft mechanical diet that actually per them begins week 4-5: (click to enlarge it)
Stage3_SoftDiet_Weeks4_5.JPG.fee6023aa94513221649f1c62acd0302.JPG
**This fluctuates between 1/4-1c of food per meal.
Big Ward: The doctor made a comment on I think Episode 7 that said up until about 3 months, you will be eating 1/4c of food at a time.
Dilemma:
I don't really feel any restriction at 1/4cup. I can gulp (about 2-4 gulps before feeling a little discomfort and stimulation to slow down liquids). I can easily eat 1 large egg in less than 5 minutes! I do feel about 3 hours of satiety from 1/2-1c of food. But I'm only 3 weeks out!!!!
I can eat this meal easily in 20 minutes:
2oz pan sauteed chicken tender=1/2 cup of food!
1oz brown gravy=1/8cup of food
1/4c smashed roasted cauliflower=1/4cup of food
1/2oz green beans=1/8cup of food
This totals nearly 1 cup of food by volume!!!!
I can eat this meal easily in 15 minutes:
3oz Greek yogurt
3oz 2% cottage cheese
4g Peanut Butter slim powder
1/8c applesauce or 30g lite canned peaches
I just don't know if I need to MAKE myself limit to 1oz=1/4c of protein as per the example in Obesity Coverage image. Or do I go ahead and advance THIS SOON to 2oz per meal? I limited food to 1oz protein per meal yesterday and felt hungry all day. My meals only lasted me about an hour or two.
Is it too early for me to feel satiety? Or do I have one of those cases where the surgery didn't help my hunger level? Do I have one of those stomachs that can handle eating more? I'm so scared of this! Yes, I'm having the crazies this morning. LOL.
I just flat out don't know what to do. And it looks like the 3 weeks stall is here.

Fluffy—- what app is that?

HW 242, SW 236- (Bypass 12/20/17)
GW#1- 199 [emoji736] (2/11/18)
GW#2- 175
CW 189
5’6”

No app dollface. It's a screen shot from a website that @Apple203 linked me to. Here's the link. It's a cool site called Obesity Coverage. You find this screen/schedule under the RNY surgery diet post-op. https://www.obesitycoverage.com/the-big-gastric-bypass-diet-guide/#week 2 and 3

I'm no expert, so take my advice with a grain of chicken feed if you will.

Weigh or measure, do not rely on the 'full tummy/pouch/sleeve' sensation. At 3 weeks, I would say 2-3oz solid/semi-solid Protein depending on the protein texture or density and be done with it. If you are hungry in two hours, repeat up to your 5-6 meals a day. Since calories are low, if you still want to gnaw your arm off - take in some liquid protein.

I could not ingest more than 1.75oz at this stage, and now not quite 3oz and the protein would be moist thigh meat, ground turkey, deli meat, and fish. Steak is still difficult to digest. And romaine lettuce and chicken breast still not good either. I can eat soft red leaf or spring greens, but not much. Shrimp, eh a little fibrous but a couple are okay. Soft protein - cottage cheese, etc are not an issue.

1 minute ago, Sosewsue61 said:

I'm no expert, so take my advice with a grain of chicken feed if you will.

Weigh or measure, do not rely on the 'full tummy/pouch/sleeve' sensation. At 3 weeks, I would say 2-3oz solid/semi-solid Protein depending on the Protein texture or density and be done with it. If you are hungry in two hours, repeat up to your 5-6 meals a day. Since calories are low, if you still want to gnaw your arm off - take in some Liquid Protein.

I could not ingest more than 1.75oz at this stage, and now not quite 3oz and the protein would be moist thigh meat, ground turkey, deli meat, and fish. Steak is still difficult to digest. And romaine lettuce and chicken breast still not good either. I can eat soft red leaf or spring greens, but not much. Shrimp, eh a little fibrous but a couple are okay. Soft protein - cottage cheese, etc are not an issue.

Thanks hon! This helps tremendously! Ok, so I'll share. I feel like I'm a 4-5 week out post op? Maybe even 6 weeks. LOL.

Things I'm eating now:

eggs (any style, mostly hb, sb, omelets, scrambled) - Qty 1 egg/meal or snack = about 1/4-1/2 cup volume

fish (any type: white flake, salmon, canned tuna or salmon) - Qty 1-2 oz/meal or snack = 1/4-1/2 cup volume

shrimp (broiled softly) - Qty 1oz/meal or snack = 1/4 cup volume

chicken (any gently cooked type: tender pan sauteed, canned, thigh-no skin/bone, ground) - Qty 1-2oz/meal or snack = 1/4-1/2 cup volume

turkey (deli meat, ground) - 3 Hillshire Farm Naturals slices; 1-2oz/meal or snack = 1/4-1/2 cup volume

beef (homemade chili, canned corned beef hash-ick!) - 1/4-3/8c volume

Beans (refried black beans, canned) - 1-2oz/meal or snack = 1/8-1/4c volume

cheese/dairy (homemade yocheese, 2% cottage cheese, Grk yogurt) = 2-6oz/meal or snack depending on what it is=1/4-3/4c volume; yocheese=1oz=1/8 cup volume

veggies (anything cooked to smithereens. so far: cauliflower, smashed cauliflower, broccoli, zucchini, y. squash, green beans, chopped spinach-fresh or frozen, canned beans, salsas-mild) = 1/2-1oz/meal or snack = 1/8-1/4 cup volume

fats = 1-2tbsp avocado 1 time a day

fruits (unsweetened applesauce, canned Splenda peaches-low sugar/low carb, canned pears lite-low sugar/low carb, same with fruit salad)-servings of these are super small! Like a couple of bites only. = 1/2-1oz/meal or snack = 1/8-1/4 cup volume.

Condiments and Sauces:

Heinz Chicken Gravy

Taste of Italy Marinara

Guy Hughes Low Carb BBQ Sauce

Classico Lite Asiago Alfredo

WF dressings (Italian/Asian/Chipotle Mayo/Ketchup)

Dijon/Yellow Mustard

Vlassic Dill Relish

Notes: I was able to start this adding slowly at 2 week check-up. I expect I will still be here until at least week 6? I'm cool with this.

I'm trying right now to only have protein and either a veg OR a fruit--not both at the same time.

I do often have 1-2 tbsp of low sugar, low carb, low fat, condiments or sauces to make the Proteins go down much easier.

19 hours ago, FluffyChix said:

Thanks dear! How long before your tool communicated with you?

My partner doesn’t well to being called that. 😂😂😂

Things tightened a bit at 6-7 weeks. I reckon I started to get ‘hunger’ or ‘I can eat a bit more now’ about 8-9 weeks.

Daily variation - yesterday, ‘hungry’ feeling by 10.30am after breakfast, right? Today I had usual breakfast as above, then at 4.30pm I though ‘hell, I didn’t have lunch’. So thinking my tummy can now “communicate” might still be an overstatement!!

Agree with @Sosewsue61 - I weigh and measure wherever I can, still.

Edited by Biddynz