Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What happens if you overeat?

So I heard if you eat too much or to fast you get severe stomach pains. What has I.T been like for you guys?

I ate about 1/4 of a lean cuisine last night and felt very sick after a few hours vomiting and other bodily actions occurred all night and day. I.T seems as if I have a stomach bug and am worried about dehydration. Anyone have any issues like this during month 1?

Did you get guidelines from your plan? Month 1 most of us focus on liquids and soft Protein. I don't get severe stomach pains, I just feel over full. Make sure you hydrate. Try soft foods like yogurt or Beans if you can't handle solids yet.

When I've overeaten, what has happened to me.... is that I get a sense of saliva kinda backing up in my esophagus because it has no where to go. Some people will burp up the saliva and call it "the slimeys".

My stomach feels way too full and I need the food to move....so I get up and start walking.

Whatever you do...DO NOT DRINK in this situation. it'll make things much worse and hurt like the dickens.

Breathing deeply really helps because your diaphragm will put gentle pressure on your tummy and get the peristalsis moving.

It's uncomfortable enough that if it happens to you once or twice...you'll watch yourself carefully to avoid it happening again.

For me, it only lasted about twenty minutes, and I didn't vomit. Didn't even burp up saliva. Just felt kinda awful until things started to move again.

Within 30 minutes I could drink freely again.

Everyone has different experiences, and obviously things could change with severity. And there's also the chance you might have picked up a bug...they're going around.

36 minutes ago, nurse123 said:

So I heard if you eat too much or to fast you get severe stomach pains. What has I.T been like for you guys?

I ate about 1/4 of a lean cuisine last night and felt very sick after a few hours vomiting and other bodily actions occurred all night and day. I.T seems as if I have a stomach bug and am worried about dehydration. Anyone have any issues like this during month 1?

I threw up a string cheese yesterday. I think I was already too full. I agree with the salivating mouth. Now I’m scared to eat very much at all!

When I was first sleeved eight weeks out or so I had pork for the first time. I didn’t chew it enough and then 1/2 hour later drank Water. I was sick, stomach pains, foaming, vomiting. It’s happened a couple of times. You will remember.

Try eating until you feel satisfied rather than full and this will help a lot. If it is a stomach bug just stick to fluids rather than eating. The food can wait another day. Really hope you feel better soon!

Kate 🙂

I am a month out, and learning the volume that I can/should eat is one of the challenges for me. I've found that if I overdo it I get the mouthful of saliva, maybe some hiccups, and a general feeling of unease or anxiety. I haven't vomited, but I think I have been close. It's very unpleasant and unnerving. I am now using a bite timer to slow down, and I am paying very, very close attention to the merest hint that I am full. It's usually after two or three bites of a denser Protein, and maybe five bites of something like Greek yogurt. The moment when my brain wants one more bite but my stomach is satisfied but not overfull is the moment when I walk away from the food.

When I eat too fast I get a pain in my breastbone and then I start spitting up saliva (the slimes) for a few minutes. It isn't painful but very uncomfortable. As a lifelong fast eater Imstill learning how to eat slower.

I am about 5-6 weeks out now and still learning to eat much slower and know when I’m full. It has happened a couple of times where I have felt pain in my breastbone as well but have not spilt up at all. I just take a walk around and it starts to get better. I think the first three months when you start to be able to eat regular is a big learning stage.

2 hours ago, YummyMummy303 said:

I start sneezing when I’m full - it’s the strangest thing ever!

Sleeved: 2/12/2017

SW: 209lbs/95kgs

That's weird...but I totally believe you, because my nose will start running. Bizarre!

Severe pain for me and very bad nausea

On 1/5/2018 at 6:09 PM, nurse123 said:

I heard if you eat too much or to fast you get severe stomach pains

@nurse123

way back when, in a galaxy far far away

i would overeat a bit

when i did, i got all hot and sweaty:wacko:

i felt my forehead getting red

i would lay down for a 1/2 an hour,

problem resolved!! learned my lesson

motto - don't overeat!!

good luck bud

kathy

On 1/5/2018 at 6:38 PM, Creekimp13 said:

When I've overeaten, what has happened to me.... is that I get a sense of saliva kinda backing up in my esophagus because it has no where to go. Some people will burp up the saliva and call it "the slimeys".

Ugh....this! For the most part the only thing that has ever really given me problems has been chicken. Don't know if specifically it's been eating too quickly or not chewing well enough. Most other foods or meats haven't bothered me.

All I know is that I've gone from "hmm...I don't feel so good" to "I'm going to throw right now" in a blink of an eye...lol. Luckily I've never actually had to throw up, but was bad enough where I hung out in the bathroom for a few minutes until it passed.

In time you'll get a better feel for potion size and see the signs of when you need to slow down and/or stop eating all together.

On 1/6/2018 at 3:37 PM, Creekimp13 said:

That's weird...but I totally believe you, because my nose will start running. Bizarre!

This far out and my nose still runs when I eat. l'm constantly telling people I don't have a cold.

I really wish it would stop !