Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What initially held you back (other than insurance/cost)

For those of you that have undergone surgery and/or are still thinking about it, what are the top things that would come to mind (whether legitimate or not) that caused you to hold off on making the final and ultimate commitment to proceed? For me in prior years it has been the following (and please note that I'm not saying these are logical or rationale concerns and many are excuses...there is no right/wrong answer here). Assume that there are NO insurance/financial concerns. Also, some of the concerns/thoughts listed are still true for me today (namely #8, #5, etc.)

1) Oh Dear God, they slice away chunks of my stomach (bypass & sleeve) and it is not reversible (in case of the sleeve)

2) Surely instead of going 'under the knife' and the risks it will involve, I can commit to FINALLY losing the weight on my own once and for all

3) I'll never get to enjoy/eat 'XYZ' again OR I can only eat 2 TBSP's of 'XYZ' if I do this (rationale side says why wouldn't 2 TBSP's be enjoyable and also that food is 'fuel' not 'sport')

4) I'll never be able to have a drink again (FYI - I RARELY drink so this was kinda silly for me, but it was a thought)

5) What if something goes terribly wrong (often tied up with the thought 'what if I die')

6) The process takes so long, there is 'too much' I have to do...see multiple doctors, lose weight before, yada, yada, yada

7) What will I do with all of the loose skin (this one makes me snort out loud...don't ask me why I thought having 'loose skin' as opposed to 'fat filled skin' was an issue)

8) The side effects/issues related - dumping, malabsorption (sp?), etc.

9) My family/friends/coworkers thinks it's crazy risk...or crazy idea...or that I'm just too 'lazy' to actually "work at it" (and part of me used to be mad at myself for having to consider 'resorting to such drastic measures')

10) Regarding sleeve - keep reading we don't have history on the gastric sleeve like we do on gastric bypass, what IF something really bad shows up over time that we don't know now?

Edited by KarenLR75
edited reason

So, I was actually shocked when my PCP mentioned it last summer. Then I did some research and I was very grateful that she did and moved forward to make it happen.

Edited by Apple203

I had started the process with a Dr. from Eugene, Oregon. I did many of my requirements before they had a get together to explain the WLS. When I met with him personally, he wanted t do the Lap Band on me!! My hubby had the Lap-band for 13Years and it was a nightmare. So I decided it wasn't for me. Then my hubby had to have his band removed and we were referred to a DR 2 and 1/2 miles from home. We were discussing his procedure and I casually mentioned that I wished I could have WLS, the nurse said why can't you. I told her about the other DR. Well, I got an appointment and had my RNY on July 2, 2013. My hubby had to wait until Sept of 2013. His didn't go well. I have been successful with mine. It seems so strange that each Dr has their own guidelines. BTW my hubby eventually had his band removed and had the Sleeve done in June of 2016. (due to all of the scar tissue he didn't get to have the RNY). Good Luck to you!! Have a great Holiday!! And above all KEEP ON KEEPING ON!!

All of these things sound like me.

Hmmmm.

I originally mentioned WLS to my last PCP and he was against it. He really felt I could lose weight and that I was never meant to be a normal BMI. Over the next years I continued to lose and regain the same 30 pounds over and over.

This year I ended up in a new job, with different insurance and had to switch to a new PCP. I mentioned surgery to him and he was on board immediately.

I have struggled with my weight my whole life and I need this tool. Nothing else has worked and I honestly feel this is my last chance.

I was a soda addict. The idea of giving up soda forever seemed daunting and unfair.

Now...meh...I really don't miss it that much. In fact....given the choice between a soda and a crunchy salad, I'd kill for the salad. Am missing crunchy veggies so so so much! Getting tired of eating mushy things. LOL:)

Honestly, I chose to put my relationship with food over my health. It was more important to me to be able to have a big fatty fat fat pizza and a bottle of chianti than it was for me commit to lifelong change with what goes down my piehole. I made excuses. I rationalized. I out-and-out bold-faced lied to myself about how far gone I was with my addictions to food and hedonistic pleasures/rewards it brings me.

Then I got real.

I have lost the weight on my own before, and I felt like it was the "easy way out." Going through this process, I learned it really isn't an easy decision at all, takes a lot of time, commitment, and dedication. There's nothing lazy or easy about it. That's how I feel now, anyway.

I also worry about how others would judge me. I realize now I owe no one an explanation on my choices and if they don't like it, tough. My life, my body, my decision. Luckily my husband and best friend have been very supportive.

5 hours ago, sleeved2win said:

I have lost the weight on my own before, and I felt like it was the "easy way out." Going through this process, I learned it really isn't an easy decision at all, takes a lot of time, commitment, and dedication. There's nothing lazy or easy about it. That's how I feel now, anyway.

I also worry about how others would judge me. I realize now I owe no one an explanation on my choices and if they don't like it, tough. My life, my body, my decision. Luckily my husband and best friend have been very supportive.

I felt this same way. I felt if I couldn't lose it without surgery I was a failure. Then I realized I could either use the surgery as a tool and finally succeed or I could keep going around in circles. Success wasn't in how I loss, it was if I loss the weight.

I also had to get over wondering what people would say. This is my body. No one else has to live in it so the choice is mine.

I tried several times in the past to have the surgery but the doctor's never said I was ready (and I wasn't). THe main reasons I wasn't ready (even though I believed I was) were my life being too hectic, working a job I hated, going to school full-time and being severely depressed. I would stop doing the program the times before because I believed I could do it on my own. Last summer my PCP brought up the surgery and I started reconsidering it again. I was finally in a place where my depression was in remission, I had finally graduated college, I loved my job and the insurance with that job was going to pay for the entire surgery (except the $125 hospital copay).

Sounds strange to say but i didn't know what options were available to me. Before this i've only ever heard of bypass and the lap band.

I wasn't nervous about the actual surgery. I was more scared of being obese forever and the health issues that comes with that later on.

Once i found out about the sleeve, i was like "when can i do this? Tell what i have to do, let's get it over with"