Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Proteinaholic by Dr Garth Davis

11 hours ago, Newme17 said:

I swear you just wrote about my husband!!!! Lol. He's a licensed aircraft mechanic for the Navy, currently. 😂 His coworkers are doing the same! He's always got some story about the guys giving him grief as well. Lol

Our hubby's are so much a like...lol..

27 minutes ago, Newme17 said:

Yes I agree. Good cholesterol has gotten a bad rap, just like carbohydrates have gotten a bad rap. We need these both, just the good ones. 😊

The thing I worry about is how many WLS patients are on low carb high Protein diets, and are eating tiny amounts of fruits and vegetables, not to mention whole grains. supplements can only provide the elements. but not the fiber and antioxidants of the whole plant. What consequences will this have for their long term health?

3 hours ago, Apple1 said:

not the Fiber and antioxidants of the whole plant. What consequences will this have for their long term health?

I think of this often too....and often think of the long term effects...wls or not, not getting the Fiber and antioxidant nutrition from plants is a recipe for some problems internally down the road...just my take on it and a lot of science behind it.

Edited by Newme17

A big thank you to Dr Weiner for dispeling the myths about WLS. Especially the last one. It was good to watch and get refreshed and be more motivated to keep doing what I'm doing, wfpb. Here's the video if you would like to watch/learn.

A cup of uncooked oats has 10g Protein (makes more than a cup prepared).
2 cups of Beans has 32g protein
1 oz nuts has 8g protein
I probably can squeeze that much food in... maybe...
But, honestly, I was hoping to get some nice veggies on board...
The thing is, that my hubby (normal sized stomach) can eat 2 cups of beans and a cup of spinach at once for dinner. No problemo. That's 35 grams of protein in one meal. He can eat all those oats for Breakfast, plus an ounce of nuts in it.. that's another 17g. One more ounce of nuts for a snack and he has met his goal for the day. lunch can be protein-free veggies and fruits.
But for me, it'll take 2 meals to eat the beans, and another 2 meals to eat the oatmeal. That's 4 meals, and I've only gotten in beans and oats, and possibly an ounce of nuts!!
Us bariatric folk HAVE to have more concentrated sources of protein. (And I can't do shakes).

But NO ONE, bariatric or regular stomach, needs 80 grams of protein a day. Even the nutrition standard of x grams per kilogram/pound of body weight is too much. Cavemen didn’t eat meat 3 times a day, 7 days a week, so Paleo is way off, too.

I’m averaging 40ish grams a day on a mostly vegan WFPB diet. Most mornings I have plant Protein Powder in my coffee, which could be up to 20 grams right there.

I’m not struggling to get protein-dense foods in, so I can eat what makes me feel good. I have an egg several times a week, and cheese a few times too. Otherwise, protein is coming from soy, legumes, and other plant based foods. Boca Burger- 10 to 15 grams right there! A spoonful of nut butter- 7ish grams.

So, my long-winded point is that Americans are eating way too much protein. There is no single right amount that applies to everyone, but it’s certainly not 80+ grams as prescribed by my surgeon and dietician.

5 minutes ago, smooshycheeks said:

So, my long-winded point is that Americans are eating way too much Protein. There is no single right amount that applies to everyone, but it’s certainly not 80+ grams as prescribed by my surgeon and dietician.

That's the point of many well respected doctors and wls surgeons as well. Western diets are having WAY too much protein and not enough FIBER and NUTRIENTS from nutritious foods.

Dr Weiner actually talks a bit about this in the above video I shared under the Protein First myth.

Edited by Newme17

4 hours ago, Newme17 said:

A big thank you to Dr Weiner for dispeling the myths about WLS. Especially the last one. It was good to watch and get refreshed and be more motivated to keep doing what I'm doing, wfpb. Here's the video if you would like to watch/learn.

I love Dr. Weiner. I have watched just about all of his videos!!!

3 hours ago, Newme17 said:

That's the point of many well respected doctors and wls surgeons as well. Western diets are having WAY too much Protein and not enough Fiber and NUTRIENTS from nutritious foods.

Preach sister :D

I am doing great eating 40-50g and I have even started logging only a couple days a week now just to spot check. Eating this way there is really no need to stress about calories or macros anymore.

Just now, Apple1 said:

Eating this way there is really no need to stress about calories or macros anymore.

You preach it!!! :D yay!!! Lol

Ok, I'm gonna share this link to a great video about carbs and why we should eat them. This was great!!

Done preaching for tonight.

https://jnovickrd.wistia.com/medias/6spnl236aq

Very nice video!

Just remember, for us bariatric folk, when at themac and cheese buffet, that big bowl of lentil Soup turns into a cup of soup, with no mac and cheese!.

The concept of calorie density is a GREAT lesson, and it goes both ways when bariatric people are meal planning. During the weight loss phase, we have to keep calories low, nutrients high. During maintenance, we have to increase calories and keep nutrients high, and do it all in a small space.

Remember, for the first year we are working with eating only about 3-4 cups of food a day. Non-bariatric folk can eat that much at a single meal. Our Protein, Vitamin, mineral, fiber needs are the same, but we have to meet those goals in 1/3 the space.

Food for thought..

Good news is if we only eat 1400 calories, we should live 40% longer! Lol!

12 hours ago, Apple1 said:

Ok, I'm gonna share this link to a great video about carbs and why we should eat them. This was great!!

Done preaching for tonight.

https://jnovickrd.wistia.com/medias/6spnl236aq

Great video!!! I enjoyed it immensely. I loved the Cut The C.R.A.P. (Calorie Rich And Processed)!!! LOL Too funny.

37 minutes ago, Newme17 said:

Great video!!! I enjoyed it immensely. I loved the Cut The C.R.A.P. (Calorie Rich And Processed)!!! LOL Too funny.

That video came from Dr. McDougall's website. I just finished listening to his book The Starch Solution. He was in the documentary Forks over Knives. Great book and I can recommend it to anyone wanting to take their WFPB diet to the next level and eliminate oils. I am working on getting there. I think focusing on being as healthy as I can through diet and exercise is a great way to ensure I never go back to old bad habits.

Thank you @Newme17 for getting me interested in researching this topic with by creating thread and recommending Dr. Garth Davis's book.