Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Boo Boo Kitty's PS Journey

You are in my prayers. I look forward to hearing the success story when you get out and recover. :biggrin2:

I just talked to Brandy (Boo Boo Kitty) and she is pretty upset. She sat in the waiting room for 6 hours at the hospital and they hooked her up to IV and everything and then told her they didn't order her new port and it wasn't in. She got very upset and yanked the IV out of her arm and left. It is now rescheduled for Wednesday at 7am and they will have her equipment this time (fingers crossed). It was a 2 hour drive there and she's driving now 2 hours back and wanted me to post this for everybody. She handled it better than I. Boy, would I have been TICKED off and ranted and raved for quite a bit. lol..

Thanks Crystal for letting everyone know.

I am beyond pissed. I have a huge bruise on my arm from taking the IV out myself. I sat for 3.5 hours over the surgery time before my Dr even came to see me. Seems that they F*ing lost me. BUT seriously I never moved. Then while the Dr was there he realized there was no port there for me. They called to other hospitals but couldn't find one. The one that should have been there as a back up was gone. SO I waited another 1.5 hours while that did that shit. Finally the Dr came back and said they couldn't find it and he would come in early Wednesday to do it. He wanted to do it tomorrow afternoon, but DH stood up for me. There is NO WAY on earth I could not eat until the afternoon!!

SO I go back Wednesday morning at 5 am. Man, oh man. I am so sick of my bad luck or bad karma. I swear to go I am a good person! MAN!

Boo, I know you're mad at the doc, but this is a hospital goof pure and simple. I'd call the risk management people at that hospital and ask if it is a common practice to have patients given an IV, potentially exposing them to infection, for absolutely no reason at all. Then explain how much money you're out (between taking time off from work and gas money for the drive). Then ask if they can explain how the surgical department could make such an error.

You just have to know what buttons to push.

Sounds to me as though it is both Dr. and hospital. I mean yes the port not being there, but for her Dr. to know surgery was to be at a certain time, and then not even see her for hours after??? And to expect her to just continue to go without food? And why didn't he call a nurse to get the IV out ASAP?

I agree the hospital is partly at fault but I could not excuse the Dr. in it all either.

Sorry things did not work out Brandy!

Good Luck Wednesday!

Kat

Been my (admittedly limited) experience that docs aren't usually specifically informed of who they're seeing at what time. Generally speaking, they rely on surgical staff to page them to whatever room they're needed in (not to excuse the docs at all......). Back in the old old days when I did my OR stint, Docs that finished surgery were too distracted talking to their offices, getting reports on recovering pts, or getting luch to know that pt X has been waiting for hours.

Uh, I'm far from a doc apologist, BTW. Re-reading this post, it certainly sounds like it, though! So screw that doc too! There's plenty of blame to go around!!

Good grief BBK, I'm sorry to hear about all of this!!!! What a major hassle.

Well, I have to believe that they won't screw it up again this time, so good luck again tomorrow!

Sending big hugs and lots of good karma your way!!!! :blink::smile::biggrin:

BBK: I would call the hospital as Plain suggested and talk to the hospitals public relations department. When I had my original lap band procedure the hospital told me to come in at 6:30 am, which I did. Around 9:00 am they told me they had made a mistake and didn't have an assistant surgeon scheduled and I had to wait until 2:00 pm. I was already in the gown and hooked to an IV too. I was ready to leave, but my DH calmed me down. I wish I would have talked to a hospital administrator. I did write a letter, but no one bothered to call me back! I wish you the best on Wednesday!

I agree with both Plain and Karey, it is not all the Dr.'s fault....but I still think he has a degree of fault here. Keep in mind that Brandy is not just your average first time surgical patient, he should be quite concerned over her at this point.....as in covering his ass!

My PS has 2 days a week he operates, and of course has assorted emergencies that disrupt regular appointments, and occasionally prescheduled surgeries. But for things like she is having done, it is usually on a scheduled surgery day. I know when I saw my Dr. at my pre op appointment, he at least knew what day we were operating, he referred to it in conversation, and talked with me about diet before surgery etc.

I know the hospital or surgical center has screwed up when they called to pre register me before, and a quick call to my Dr. then my ENT---and it was straightened out. Sounds to me as though Brandy's hospital and Dr. have not only zero communication with the patient but also with one another. And I damn sure would write the letter, and consider sending it not only to the risk management team, but everyone I could locate an address or email for from the Chief of Staff on down---and maybe even a letter to the editor of the local paper.

Before you write the letter or make the phone calls though you need to have it firmly in mind what you want them to do about it--like absorbing the costs involved to you in the screw up----have a resolution handy that is good for you, rather than a simple "we're sorry".

Good Luck to you tomorrow!

Kat