Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

No one in Nov?

So, I went to my meeting with the anesthesiologist today. It was crazy! I was in the surgery center (for the first time in my life) and everything totally became real for me. I was nervous as heck sitting in there, and when the doctor asked me how I was feeling, I said, "Well, I'm nervous and scared because I know this is a very serious deal, but it calms me to know that a) I am secure and comfortable with my decision and ;) you all are professionals and will take good care of me." Based on Longhorn's experience, I'm thinking things will go just fine!

Longhorn, at which hospital was your surgery? I'm at St. David's and they seem really great so far.

So, I'm officially ready. After today, I have just 5 days to get through until the big day. The weekend should go by fast (don't they always?) and then 3 work-days, which I'm sure will be torturous. My surgery is at 5:30 am; I'm excited to be first thing in the morning, but feel bad for my mom and my man! They have to wake up so early just to be my support staff! "Oh, goodie. Let's wake up at 4:30 in the morning so we can go sit in a hospital waiting room all day! Awesome!"

Have I mentioned I HATE this low carb diet???? It just seems to be sooooooo wrong for me to eat a double meat, double cheese burger with extra lettuce, onion, and Tomato, and no bun. I just don't understand how that can be a DIET!!!!!!!

I was at Austin Surgical Hospital on Bee Caves Road about a mile west of Mopac. They were great, too, and I think it makes a big difference. Someone from the hospital called today to make sure I was doing okay. :)

I was so afraid I would somehow miss my alarm! Since I cancelled classes to sneak this surgery in, it would have really messed things up if I had missed my chance! But, of course, everything worked out fine and it will for you, too!

Longhorn - Has you pain worse today? I wasn't feeling that bad today and I took a nap from 12-2. When I woke up the pain is pretty bad. It's all around the port area. Do you think it could be soreness and gas mixed? Also, do you think the heating pad will help with this pain? I have been walking walking walking, sipping sipping sipping and breathing breathing breathing like me doctor said.

Longhorn - Has you pain worse today? I wasn't feeling that bad today and I took a nap from 12-2. When I woke up the pain is pretty bad. It's all around the port area. Do you think it could be soreness and gas mixed? Also, do you think the heating pad will help with this pain? I have been walking walking walking, sipping sipping sipping and breathing breathing breathing like me doctor said.

Yes, I think it's a little worse today and it's exactly as you described. The heat seems to help and I called my doctor's office and his assistant agreed that heat was good. I believe some of it is gas because when I get rid of it, the pressure is relieved a little. So I think you're doing the right thing. Are you taking Gas-X, too?

I'm trying to hold off a little before I take the pain meds so that I can take it right before I go to bed and have it last longer through the night. I'm not feeling so bad right now so hopefully I can make it until 4:00. What are you taking for pain? I'm taking Tylenol with codeine.

Longhorn - I'm taking the Gas X strips as well. I've been walking a lot because this pain is pretty bad. If I take a deep breath it feels like shooting pains in my left side. I called the doctor and the nurse said all is normal. I am taking 2tbs of vicoden every 4-6 hours.

Stranger, I was on the Atkins for like 3 1/2 years. Low carb worked for me because I really love meat. It just really seemed wrong at the beginning because I was thinking, how can i be having all these eggs, bacon, butter, creams and such and it be a "good thing". Well it was. I lost like 65 pounds within the first year. The problem is that I plateaued and was limited to know, Pasta, bread, rice, summer foods like potato and macaroni salads and such. so i went off this past summer and had a blast with all the foods. Not too much though. I did gain back like 25 pounds though. It took some getting used to at first without the carbs because I was addicted to them. It took about a month or so before the cravings for them ceased. Having to eat totally different will be different for me. Like having the fruit smoothies? Milk? Cream Soups? Just doesn't seem right now. haha. I've been back on the Atkins for the past 2 months. Now I'll have to flip flop again? Hopefully it will set okay on my stomach. Dianne

3 1/2 years on Atkins? ?!?!?!?!? Surely you cheated a little bit! HEHEHE. But, that's the thing about that diet. It's all fine and good while you're staving off carbs, but the second you bite into that bread, BAM! the pounds come pouring on. Plus, it just CAN'T be good for your heart and arteries!!! Didn't Dr Atkins die of a heart attack?

I LOVE Your dancing banana, by the way!!!!

I just have one thing to say to nessa---I definitely like the sounds of vicodin a LOT more than tylenol! I hope I get the V's too!!!!!

I didn't really cheat on the Atkins to tell you the truth. I had no cravings after the first couple of months. I did go off during the summer months though to enjoy the summer foods. I did gain some, like 10 pounds or so during June, July and August. I'd go back on the Atkins because my stomach really began to hurt having the carbs. It felt like I'd bloat up and the top of my stomach got really hard too. It got to be unbearable. This last time I gained the most because I went off a little earlier and stayed off a little longer.

I think Dr. Atkins died from a fall and hit his head. I think he was a larger man though. That's what someone told me. He probably followed his own diet then went off, just like everyone else who tries to diet. Go on them but once you come off.... BLAM! He comes the weight back and then some. I'm hoping to no end that the banding will help me get control of the quantity of food. I don't think the quality of food I eat is too bad. On the Atkins I ate allot of Broccolli, collard greens and brussels. I love all three. It wasn't all meat, cheese and eggs. To tell you the truth I don't think that it could be good for your heart and arteries either. I stayed on it because it kept me away from all the carbs and I didn't have the cravings. Not to mention my stomach feels fine on it. Just no weight loss, which I need to happen.

I went to the place I think you mentioned about the bananas and got one. Isn't he cute? LOL

Heading home from work now. Wish me luck on Monday! I'll try to post when I get home. Good luck to you guys and I'm planning on getting a heating pad this weekend that's for sure! Blessings to you, Dianne

Interestingly enough, when I lost 40 pounds on my Atkins like diet, my cholesterol levels really dropped so this thing about it not being good for your heart isn't always correct. But as was said before, I gained the 40 back and 40 more for good measure.

I got my surgery time this morning for my 11/06/07 banding. I was hoping for an early morning but I got 11:30 so I guess I'm several up in the schedule. Oh well, I guess I'm not going anywhere that day anyway. I am tempted to run to the office and get a few things done but it is 25 miles from home and that doesn't make sense. I must be a work-a-holic. :rolleyes

Hello everyone.. I had my surgery on 11/1/07 I was sore after wards... but nothing that Lortab elixir did not cure.

Day two: really sore on L side of abd & L chest & shoulder discomfort. Abd swollen all things to be expected... but moderatly sore. I walk for an hour outside.... while purching gas-x.. walking & gas-x really helped w/ L chest & shoulder discomfort. Had to take pain med every 4 hrs. Tolerated liquids well... only got in 6 cup all day... I'm suppost to shoot for 8 cups a day

Day three: a LOT less bloated today... tolerated liquids well, this morning I sipped 1 cup brot & 1/2 special K Protein Water... over 45mins. I didn't feel "full" but when I stood up 15min later I had some sharp pains .. gas?? just felt like i could not get comfortable.... so I took gas x and pain meds... and 1 our later .... felt bette. Walked around out side for 2 hours today.... didnt feel bad... finished 1/2 protien Water and another cup of broth... my stomach and bowels are activley gurgling.... but feeling good.... have not had to take any more pain meds today...

Not sure if I should be concerned w/ the fact I dont feel "full"?? maybe cuz its liquids?? In my head I want to feel that full feeling.... that is the reason I did get the procedure...

I know I'm rushing it.. its only day three.... but its like I want to test it... I'm crazy... or maybe it the pain meds.. ha ha!!

Also excited I got the low profile port placed

url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/w5sjnoQ/

user_online.gifreport.gif digg.gif delicious.gif technorati.gif furl.gif

progress.gifedit.gif quote.gif multiquote_off.gif quickreply.gif

Sitting here anxiously awaiting my surgery on Monday!! Feeling a little anxious, scared, nervous, and excited all at once. I got my hair cut today. Figured I needed a new hairstyle to start my new chapter in my life. I really like it. I got a lot cut off, but I already feel lighter and better! I feel like I have so much unfinished things to do such as laundry and cleaning up. I'm hoping the cleaning fairies come while I am in the hospital! Tomorrow I will stay busy finishing laundry, cleaning, and packing a bag. I have to stay one night in the hospital.

I love hearing about all you who have already had surgery and are recovering. It is hard to believe that I started this journey in July and it is now becoming reality!

I am hoping by Thursday I'm feeling better. Carnie Wilson is coming to my town to speak at a bariatric surgery reunion night. Even thought she's had bypass, I still admire her and if nothing else I can get motivated by all the other people in our area who have had bypass and the lap band.

Good luck all fellow November bandsters!

I'm a 1 November bander... still working through it right now but feeling better than I thought I would after only 3 days. Good luck to everyone.

It is now Sunday, three days after surgery - I woke up feeling great! I think my gas is gone, can you believe that? I slept in bed all night. I did keep a heating pad on my left side where the port is and that helped the only pain I have left. The only thing is I don't think I am drinking enough Water, I need to get on the ball today. I get hungry a little but just eat a little SF pudding or SF Jello and the hunger goes away. I am sooooooo happy I got through it so good. I hope everyone upcoming does as well as I.

Wow, can't believe it is here already! Tomorrow I go to the surgery center at 7am I will be one of the first for the day. I am really excited to get this over and done with..my tummy has not been happy with me for the last few days I vomited the other day and everytime I eat something I have to go back to the bathroom (not vomiting...the other...)

I just want to get this done an over with, I am going to my moms house tonight to spend the night she will be taking me to the surgery center tomorrow and bringing me home. I have to go pick up my medications and gas-x and a heating pad because it sounds like it was something people really needed. I hope all goes well and I will post as soon as I feel up to it!

:clap2:Congratulations to all of you who just got it done and Good luck to all those following!! Take care and will post again soon!!

-Rachel

Oh, could anyone tell me how to post a ticker for weight loss in here I created one but don't know how to put it on the postings!