Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

No one in Nov?

Thanks to everyone! I am so glad to have so much support from friends, family and all of you here!

My headache is getting a little better. I ate a sugar free Jello this morning and am now driking a Protein Water. I am going to GNC at lunch to buy the Protein Powder for my drinks. Have any of you bought any powder from GNC? Just wondering what is good and what isn't.

Oh and also........

HAPPY HALLOWEEN

Yes! Vitamin Shoppe is great! Also, just so you all know, if you buy something from Super supplements, you get it home and find you don't like it, YOU CAN RETURN IT!! Even if it's been opened! My Dietician told me about that. It's a beautiful thing especially if you get some completely NASTY tasting Protein Drink or, in my case, the world's most disgusting liquid multi-vitamin! Holy cow!!! Just about put me over the edge of reason when I tasted that sludge! That went back to the store the next day.

Hey Carsons Mommy, our surgery date is the same day! Are you getting nervous...I am...

I am also doing the protien drink thing, but I like the Atkins advantage ready shakes the best. They actually taste good!

Good luck everyone in Nov!

It is so amazing to read about the very DIFFERENT pre-op diets everyone is going through! Mine: 2 weeks pre-op of low carb (70+ grams Protein, < 30 grams carbs). Day before, Clear Liquids. I thought I was about to DIE without bread (and candy on Halloween!), but now that I read about others on a 2 week liquid pre-op diet, I don't feel so bad!!!! You guys are tough!

I have something I just HAVE to say. I CANNOT believe some of ya'lls doctors are so strict about you losing weight AND keeping it off before the surgery! And, cancelling the surgery if you gain?!?!?!? That's just crazy! If it was that easy (or even that POSSIBLE for that matter), we wouldn't be getting surgery, now would we?!?!?!? I just think that's totally weird.

Now, I have not weighed myself, but I'm super nervous that I haven't lost anything--even after a week on "atkins." I did have a HUGE slip-up last weekend when I BLASTED my shrunken liver with alcohol at a Halloween party last weekend and then followed it up on Sunday with pancakes and pizza to get over the pain. Other than that, I've really been an angel. I think I will weigh myself tomorrow morning and see how things are looking. I wouldn't be surprised if I only lost 2-3 pounds pre-op. At least my liver will be small!

Hey Banded4Life! I am SO excited!!!! Are you? The 9th is SO close - just around the corner. I cannot wait and I'm SO ready. What time is your surgery? Mine is at noon PDT. I check in at 10am. My best friend is actually having a car service chauffeur me, her and my Dad to the hospital. My husband can't be there because of work, but he'll be picking me up later that night.

This 2-week pre-op period is rough. Without the restriction in place, I get SO HUNGRY!!! Have you found that too? It's so incredibly frustrating because I know I'm not doing as well as I could be with this pre-op phase. <sigh> I'll just keep working at it until next Friday arrives. I'm going tonight to pick up my prescriptions. Heparin shots - EEK!

It is so amazing to read about the very DIFFERENT pre-op diets everyone is going through! Mine: 2 weeks pre-op of low carb (70+ grams Protein, < 30 grams carbs). Day before, clear liquids. I thought I was about to DIE without bread (and candy on Halloween!), but now that I read about others on a 2 week liquid pre-op diet, I don't feel so bad!!!! You guys are tough!

I have something I just HAVE to say. I CANNOT believe some of ya'lls doctors are so strict about you losing weight AND keeping it off before the surgery! And, cancelling the surgery if you gain?!?!?!? That's just crazy! If it was that easy (or even that POSSIBLE for that matter), we wouldn't be getting surgery, now would we?!?!?!? I just think that's totally weird.

Now, I have not weighed myself, but I'm super nervous that I haven't lost anything--even after a week on "atkins." I did have a HUGE slip-up last weekend when I BLASTED my shrunken liver with alcohol at a Halloween party last weekend and then followed it up on Sunday with pancakes and pizza to get over the pain. Other than that, I've really been an angel. I think I will weigh myself tomorrow morning and see how things are looking. I wouldn't be surprised if I only lost 2-3 pounds pre-op. At least my liver will be small!

Stranger138:

I found it all a clever (or cruel) irony that I went to a bariatric surgeon and was put on a diet. LOL! What the heck??? The logical-thinking individual in me can totally see what their reasoning is. It's all very smart and wise to get your brain conditioned to the notion of smaller amounts, chewing longer, etc. blah, blah, blah. However, the food adoring, chip-munching, coffee-drinking, compulsive-overeater in me looked them square in the eye and said, "You have GOT to be kidding me???"

All I have to say to your splurge is "Tomorrow is a new day, sister!!" You know, I think the fact that we've had ANY bit of success on our pre-op diets is AWESOME!

sweet! I love it! Thanks for putting a smile on my face!!!!!

I did my shopping today for all the liquids I will need for the next 2-3 weeks. Have any of you tried the Special K Protein Water? I picked up a few today and just got finished drinking one. It's not to bad and it has 5 grams of protein and 50 calories. I think they were $1.50 each at Wal-Mart. Have any of you begun shopping for the liquid phase? I got chicken and veggie broth, sugar free Jello and pudding, light cranberry juice, protein water and protein powder. Can anyone think for anything else I may want to buy for this phase?

My doc suggested No sugar added Applesauce too. There is also a protein drink you can buy from some nutrition stores or online and it is called "ISOPURE"...it is pure protein nothing else. I haven't tasted it yet but most people I heard likes it. It looks like a kool aid or something. It has No Carbs...No Sugar...No anything but protein and it is whey protein isolate which is suppossed to be one of the best to have. The bottle is like 32 ounces or so and it cost me $3.00...it had 40 grams of protein in it

<p>Wow 40 Grams! I need to check that out!</p> <p> </p> <p>Carsons Mommy, I can't say I'm especially excited. I'm worried about alot of things with getting this done, but I feel very desprate..like this is my last chance. I want to have a good quality of like and that means getting at least 90lbs off. </p> <p> </p> <p>I guess I'm just afraid this like everything else I've tried won't work either, also I am going to Mexico to get my band and that scares me also. I have to go bymyself cuz hubby has to work and take care of the critters! I'm sure that's not helping my fears.</p> <p> </p> <p>Anyway, good luck to you and let's get in touch afterwards and compare experiences!</p> <p> </p> <p>~Banded</p>

Hey Banded4Life... I hear ya'. I'm scared too. But you know what? This is the BEST decision we've ever made for ourselves - EVER! The alternative, not doing it and struggling with diet after diet after diet? That's not an option. It doesn't work. This will work and we will all be here for one another to make sure it does.

I'm so sorry that you have to go alone, but I want you to know something: my husband and I were traveling last week and I just happened to meet a woman at our hotel <during Breakfast, of all things - hehehe> whose sister had her surgery done in Mexico. She said it was a FABULOUS experience! The doctors there were amazing! I don't know where you're going, but I'm sure there aren't all THAT many surgeons down there doing this procedure. We will all be with you in spirit, cheering you on, waiting for you to get back and tell us all how it went -- so, technically, you're not REALLY alone. :-) When do you actually leave for your trip down there? We'll definitely keep in touch right up until you go and as soon as we're both able to chat afterward. We're here for you!!!

Wow Andie, Thanks so much! I do feel a little better. I'm going to Monerray, and I've heard nothing but good things.

I'm leaving thursday night and flying all night arriving at around 10:30am then straight to the hospital to start the preop stuff. Surgery that afternoon.

Hey, I just noticed where the same age! Seems we could be a good source of support for each other!

Thanks for the kind words of support...now I've just got to get on that plane and go! No looking back!

Absolutely!! I'm here for ya'!!! So by next Thursday, you and I will be getting all ready for our big day! How long will you be in Mexico after your surgery?

I have to tell you, I got totally freaked out last night when I got home. I checked my messages and there was one from my surgeon's office: "Please call me as soon as you can. I need to discuss something with you." So cryptic! Thanks a lot nurse lady!! I could barely sleep because I was sure they were going to tell me that something had gone wrong with my tests and I couldn't have my surgery or that maybe the doctor decided to go on Thanksgiving vacation early and I'd have to reschedule. LOL! It's amazing what a nut job I was. My husband kept saying, "I'm sure it's nothing! They probably want to confirm your surgery or something." It turned out they couldn't find anything documenting my vitals from my physical. I called my OB right away and asked her to fax them her chart notes. Whew! Calm again. Good lord...

By the way, not only am I 41, but I've got a very young son: 4 1/2 yrs old. He runs me RAGGED! I can't wait until I can go to the park and slide down the slides with him. He always asks me and I have to say, "Honey, mommy will be able to do that very soon! I promise!!" He says, "Ok Mommy. It's ok." breaks my heart. Soon, though. Very soon. Before I know it I'll be sliding, swinging, climbing, and running all over the park with him.

Y'all, if your surgery goes as well as mine did this morning, believe me, you have nothing to worry about! Sure, I have a couple of aches here and there but all tolerable, at least for now. I'm on liquid Tylenol with codeine. I've been walking around the house and just started a Propel mixed with unflavored unjury. I've taken Gas-X and a chewable Lactaid as well. One of my aches is in the front of my left shoulder -- most certainly gas.

Dr. Ganta found a hiatal hernia during the operation and repaired it. He also prescrived Prilosec but I'm waiting on approval from the insurance company for that. My husband will pick up some OTC in the meantime.

I'm comfortably ensconced in my La-Z-Boy with a pillow under my knees and one over my belly to protect me from my little poodle mix.

I realize that as the pain meds wear off, this situation could change but so far, it's better than I ever thought it could be!

Good luck!