Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What were your worst symptoms post-op?

Hi, I have a date for surgery and have booked a weeks leave from work but wondered if people generally feel well enough to go back to work a week post op? I don't have a physically demanding job so will only need to drive a bit and sit at a desk. Any thoughts welcomed, am I being realistic? Thanks

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

I don't have a physically demanding job either, and I went back after one week. I don't recommend it though. I had to leave early three times in a week due to pure fatigue. I would come home straight into bed for a nap.

Week two I was much better and more suited for work.

I was very fortunate to have a pretty smooth post-op experience. No nausea or vomiting. Gas pains weren't bad. The only issue I had was Constipation.< /p>

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Throwing up was the WORST for me. It was a few hours after surgery, my stomach was already sore and tight, throwing up made it so much worse, but it was a relief as I did it, if that makes sense.... also the quick sharp pain that you get when you've siped too FAST

-Ariannuhh❤️

I had gas pains from the Protein powder shakes but not the ready made kind. I also had a sharp pain under my belly button but everyone handles it differently. I had my gall bladder out years before this and it was no worse than that. I handled Fluid intake well where a coworker could not keep anything down for weeks after. Make sure you take a stool softener for Constipation

The soreness of the incisions that's what messes me up

Hi everyone,

My surgery is 11/11 and I'm not sure if I'm just freaking myself out, but I'm sort of intentionally reading up on all the bad post-op side effects that can happen. Though maybe this is a better place to look than Reddit ;)

For those of you who are post op, what was your worst symptom and when did it occur? For example, did you vomit a lot, how soon after surgery did it happen, and does iftstill happen to you?

Don't freak out :) My biggest regret post-op was WHY THE FUDGE DIDN'T I HAVE THIS SURGERY YEARS AGO!?!?!?! I am just over a year out and my only side-effect is heartburn. It's managed if I take my prilosec (but I'm terrible about taking pills and forget a lot. Other than that I have a really hard time not drinking while eating (and because I cannot do it, my brain STILL obsesses over it everytime I eat -which in turns makes the craving worse).

I don't miss carbs, I don't miss pop.

I LOVE feeling better. I cannot believe all of the things I do with my kids and on dates now! I have so much energy and I actually look forward to working out! (Seriously if you knew me pre-op that would be one of the last things I ever thought anyone would hear come out of my mouth).

I don't even remember a lot of discomfort after my surgery. I do remember finding recipes for shakes because I was getting bored of having the same two and was starting to crave eating solid food. Changing up what I was eating really helped that. The recovery wasn't bad- just take your time and follow what your Dr says for post-op. :)

I’m starting back to work today, my 4th day post-op. But, I work from a home office, so it’s cheating a little. LOL

The worst part for me (so far) was the 2-hour drive home the day after surgery. I vomited a couple of times during the drive and the gas rumbling around in me from the car ride was miserable. After I got home, I was belching a lot and it was a little uncomfortable. Walking around the house and backyard, as well as taking Gas-X strips helped.

I REALLY think starting a light weight training program and cardio a month before surgery has helped tremendously with recovery!

Hi, I have a date for surgery and have booked a weeks leave from work but wondered if people generally feel well enough to go back to work a week post op? I don't have a physically demanding job so will only need to drive a bit and sit at a desk. Any thoughts welcomed, am I being realistic? Thanks

@@Meeb I felt like I was okay to go back to work after 2 weeks. I have a sit down job. However, I took 6 weeks off so that I could focus on getting the liquids and Protein in and go through the different food progressions stages properly. It seems like it would be hard to do that AND focus at work...

Thanks everyone, it seems I'll just have to wait and see, so many varied experiences post op

Thanks everyone, it seems I'll just have to wait and see, so many varied experiences post op

The best thing you can do is follow pre-op and post-op instructions. I thought I was prepared for just about anything and the nausea post-op knocked me on my ass.

I'm sitting in the hospital bed right now while I type this up...I've had 2 C-Sections so I assumed this surgery was going to be easy for me. I was so wrong. I have a very high pain tolerance but I can't handle the nausea. My surgery was Monday and I was suppose to go home yesterday but since I wasn't holding anything down, dizzy and throwing up nothing but fluids they ended up keeping me another day. I took a gas-X dissolvable strip for a pain I had on my side last night (Not sure if it was gas pains) I immediately threw it up within 15 sec. This shit is no joke. Definitely not an easy way out. If anyone ever tells me that I'm gonna slap them.