Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What were your worst symptoms post-op?

I an two weeks post op and have had no real side effects. Day 3, prior to discharge, i had a real bad case of nausea but that was pretty much it.

No gas pains or vomiting. My incisions are healing well. Some foods dont taste good anymore but i have tolerated everything i have eaten. Some diarrhea but i have had cronic diarrhea since my gallbladder removal 23 years ago, so not likely a WLS issue. Its actually gotten a little better.

I have had issues with a pressure in my chest that the dr staff attributed to acid. It has since gone away.

HW 385 SW 359 Sleeved 10/5/16

Edited by QueenOfTheTamazons

Gas pain in the shoulder was the worst part of the whole thing. Oh and the useless morphine in the hospital, it cause more pain than it solved.

If you've ever had surgery before you know that you just kind of feel like crap when you first wake up. You're hazy from the anesthesia and in some pain. The nurse gave me pain meds as soon as I was talking and the bad pain was very brief. I had bad gas pain for about 30 or 45 minutes total and some nausea the first night that they handled with extra IV meds.

I am 9 days out. I really had no incision problems, I never vomited, and stopped taking all pain/nausea meds on day 3. I think that if your surgery is routine there really isn't too much to deal with!

The nausea immediately after surgery and those two times my stomach had me rolling on the floor from pain two months after surgery. One time I had a slice of pizza (it took me two hours to finish it) and the second time, I ate apples with the peel on. I forgot to peel it like every other time. I have written NEVER AGAIN on my whiteboard. I will never forget that pain.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Pretty much just a seroma in one of my incisions that had be drained, about a week post-op. Wasn't pleasant, but also wasn't the end of the world. He opened the wound, pushed all around it to drain it (not too fun), then they "packed" the wound with gauze (a little uncomfortable, but not too bad) to absorb drainage. Then I was told to remove the gauze later (weird feeling, not really painful though) and then just start pressing all around it, squeezing out whatever Fluid buildup there was. I was also given an antibiotic to take, which helped a lot over the course of 7 days. I just had to keep it dressed, push the crud out of it every day, and eventually it sealed itself up and was fine.

Sounds a lot worse than it actually was, and that was really my only issue. I honestly have no real complaints because everything else has been super smooth, and I had much, much worse complications after my gall bladder surgery years ago.

Im 10 days post op.. the worst pain was the gas that laid up in my left shoulder.. my abdomen is sore...like i did a million pushups... but other than that everything has been good. I freaked myself out also... then when i woke up.. i was like.. umm what was the big deal? loll You'll do fine!! You got this. Prepare yourself now for the changes though and it won't be so hard on you when it comes to the post op diet. And Come to this board often... the support here is amazing!!

Pain meds in the hospital made me nauseous but that went away immediately after they gave me the nausea meds. The gas pain sucked but goes away after a few days. Dehydration is an issue if you don't continue to sip sip sip. Other then that no pain for me.

Immediate nausea after surgery the 2 days I was in the hospital. It went away once they switched me from liquid pain meds. Started on dilaudid and no more nausea. I'm 4 weeks post op RNY and Constipation has been a huge problem since surgery. Ended up with a stricture 2 1/2 weeks post op but can't get it stretched until today so eating is out of the question. Drinking is really hard because it creates so much pain in my chest between my breast. So dehydration is a real problem for me for the past 2 weeks. The gas-x strips were fabulous and helped a lot with the gas pain.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

My surgery was 10/17 the worse pain is the gas and I now seem to get indigestion right after I try and have anything the Dr said that he fixed a hernia that we didn't know I had even though I had endoscopy before surgery and that is the worst I never really had heartburn before and now it seems like it may never go away

Sent from my SM-G920V using the BariatricPal App

Really bad acid reflux, that finally got better 4 weeks later when I changed to Nexium PPI.

Also, bit of pain, especially on my left side where I had a large drain tube.

Whenever I felt a cough or sneeze coming on, I had to brace my abdomen.

I did not have nausea nor vomiting straight post op. Happened 2-3 months later when trying different foods, no nausea, just quick run to the bathroom .....

Hasn't happened for the past 3 months.

I am also off Nexium now, as my terrible reflux finally went away :)

Hi, I have a date for surgery and have booked a weeks leave from work but wondered if people generally feel well enough to go back to work a week post op? I don't have a physically demanding job so will only need to drive a bit and sit at a desk. Any thoughts welcomed, am I being realistic? Thanks

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

Hi, I have a date for surgery and have booked a weeks leave from work but wondered if people generally feel well enough to go back to work a week post op? I don't have a physically demanding job so will only need to drive a bit and sit at a desk. Any thoughts welcomed, am I being realistic? Thanks

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

I would not be able to go back to work in a week. I spent 4 days in the hospital. Working on getting in fluids and Protein is a full-time job right now.