Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Protein, Protein, Protein

@Vegann2014

MY shakes are 30 grams if I drank it all. I do eat black Beans,yogurt,and cottage cheese eggs and thin slices deli meats. I only eat one of those choices per meal and only about 4 table spoons. And if I eat the meat it is very thin sliced and I can eat a whole slice. All of that is a form of Protein I do like Soup homade Soup and I do tend to have that at least one meal and that is liquid and Protein or vegetables. I do not feel sick or anything and I am doing better with the Water. I will try harder with the shakes. But then I can't eat food.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using the BariatricPal App

Ele Marie, I don't understand if you drink a Protein drink that is 30 grams say for Breakfast, you mean that you just cannot eat the rest of the day or night, or you just aren't hungry? I don't see how you can eat thin sliced deli meat but not a Protein shake? Could it be too many grams of Protein in one drink for you? Have you tried a Protein powder that you can add to your homemade Soups that are tasteless? That would certainly help increase your protein level for the day. If you are eating homemade Soup with no meat in it, then you are getting no protein (unless the soup base/broth is chicken/beef based). I think everyone here is just worried about your nourishment level and ending up back in the hospital. I don't know what your surgeon actually told you other than what you have said here on the forum, but I can't believe that he/she said it would be okay if it took 3-4 days to drink a Protein Drink when you are 3 weeks out. Something is missing here.

Please contact your surgeons office and speak to his nurse before June 1st. That is still a couple of weeks away. Best to check it out rather than feel that something just isn't right.

Inner surfer girl I do not find you guys to be rude at all. I am taking it all in. I was giving a menu for what to eat and when to add more. I follow it to the tee. I am not worried about eating bad carbs I was always good about that. My weight gain is only last 2 years I have not been heavy all my life I lost a brother and father in law in the same week that tragic loss made me quit the gym my job and I sat on my butt for a year I gained over 100 pounds. I lost it on Medifast eating 500 calories a day when I stopped boom that and more! I went in to deep depression and started to see a shrink she's the one suggested I get the surgery. I will show you a pic of me from 2013

Call your surgeon's office.

What harm will it do?

I have not read one person post that what you are consuming now is correct.

Just call your bariatric team and ask.

You will be happier and less frightened-- and to be frank---so will we.

Prayers still going up.

One of the requirements I had to meet in order to be released from the hospital was to be able to drink a whole shake in an hour. I was expected to, and able to, do that the day after surgery.

Ele I think when you say "I can't" you might actually mean "I'm afraid to". I think everyone worries initially about stretching their pouch, including me, but know this: It is highly unlikely that you will stretch your sleeve or pouch. HIGHLY unlikely. Our bari team addressed this issue in support group and they all said that it would take an incredible amount of consistent abuse to achieve such a feat (even harder for sleevers I think). If you want to stretch things out, you MIGHT be able to IF you work hard at it, but that will involve effort, pain, a lot of time, and significant over eating. :) My point is, you aren't going to stretch your pouch. My advice, for what it's worth, is to let go of the fear (seriously, drop it. It's counterproductive), relax, and just follow the plan outlined for you. You'll do great :)

I think I'm still stuck on... you got a whole shake down in an hour before you left the hospital!!? You rock! Lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using the BariatricPal App

I had to finish most of my tray in the hospital before they would release me. Which included finishing a Protein shake.

They don't want you to go home unable to eat and end up in the hospital for malnutrition.

A minimum of 60 grams Protein and 60 fl oz. Water per day was 'drilled' in by everyone from the surgeon on down. It was hard for me to get that down right after surgery - especially because I had a hard time with whey Protein - - but I can still remember those little 1 oz. cups filled with protein shake and making myself drink so many per hour so I would reach my goal. Was it easy? no - but it was necessary for healing.

I know that sometimes it feels as though you are drinking Water or eating constantly (my nutritionist made me 'eat' 6 times a day so I could get all my protein in) - I can tell you that now, approaching 7 months, I have no trouble getting in 60 grams - in fact, usually I get in about 75.

For me, it was a discipline - I did it because I knew I had to...simple as that. I had a lot of trouble with the shakes, but made myself drink them until I was able to get my protein in different ways.

For those that have just had surgery, I would suggest that you have a goal to increase your protein and water everyday until you meet your goals. It will not be easy, but will prevent a lot of problems down the line. Protein is an essential building block - and lack of it will cause your body to find other ways to cope - such as using your muscle or organ tissue. While you may feel just fine now when you don't meet your minimum goals for protein, the long term cost is not pretty. Most of us go through this surgery to be healthier; for me, it just makes sense to at least follow minimum goals to achieve a new and healthier body.

Be good to yourself, take care of yourself - push yourself if you have to....it is all worth it.

I find it interesting that most of you actually had a "tray" of food when in the hospital after WLS. I was not given a "tray" ever; I was in the hospital for 2-1/2 days and was just brought Gatorade, Water, and asked if I wanted a popsicle. No broth, no Jello, no Protein shakes were given. The diet while in the hospital was Clear liquids only. Just thought it was interesting, and to prove that depending on who and where you have surgery, the rules can be a bit different.

One of the requirements I had to meet in order to be released from the hospital was to be able to drink a whole shake in an hour. I was expected to, and able to, do that the day after surgery.

Ele I think when you say "I can't" you might actually mean "I'm afraid to". I think everyone worries initially about stretching their pouch, including me, but know this: It is highly unlikely that you will stretch your sleeve or pouch. HIGHLY unlikely. Our bari team addressed this issue in support group and they all said that it would take an incredible amount of consistent abuse to achieve such a feat (even harder for sleevers I think). If you want to stretch things out, you MIGHT be able to IF you work hard at it, but that will involve effort, pain, a lot of time, and significant over eating. :) My point is, you aren't going to stretch your pouch. My advice, for what it's worth, is to let go of the fear (seriously, drop it. It's counterproductive), relax, and just follow the plan outlined for you. You'll do great :)

I think I'm still stuck on... you got a whole shake down in an hour before you left the hospital!!? You rock! Lol

I had to finish most of my tray in the hospital before they would release me. Which included finishing a Protein shake.

They don't want you to go home unable to eat and end up in the hospital for malnutrition.

Wow, all I ate was ice and a few sips of broth! I mean now I get my fluids, and protien in like a champ ???? (finally) but when I was in the hospital... no way! I would've been in there for about 5 days before I got down a "plate"... lol...

I find it interesting that most of you actually had a "tray" of food when in the hospital after WLS. I was not given a "tray" ever; I was in the hospital for 2-1/2 days and was just brought Gatorade, Water, and asked if I wanted a popsicle. No broth, no Jello, no Protein shakes were given. The diet while in the hospital was Clear Liquids only. Just thought it was interesting, and to prove that depending on who and where you have surgery, the rules can be a bit different.

My "tray" was Decaf coffee, a Protein shake, Jello, and broth. I REALLY wanted to go home, I hate hospitals so I used all my determination to get it down. I think eating in the hospital is a good safety net to starting to consume, I wasn't scared because the nurses and doctors were there.

I was only in the hospital about 26-28 hours. Once I proved I could get "food" down, I was released in 2 hours. That is the requirement to get out of the hospital and this is a bariatric center of excellence, with a very high volume of surgery.

I had the whole Protein Shake, it was only 4 ounces, it was a small hospital one. I had 1/2 of the broth. 2 micro sips of coffee, and like 2 cubes of jello.

Edited by OutsideMatchInside

@Vegann2014

MY shakes are 30 grams if I drank it all. I do eat black Beans,yogurt,and cottage cheese eggs and thin slices deli meats. I only eat one of those choices per meal and only about 4 table spoons. And if I eat the meat it is very thin sliced and I can eat a whole slice. All of that is a form of Protein I do like Soup homade soup and I do tend to have that at least one meal and that is liquid and Protein or vegetables. I do not feel sick or anything and I am doing better with the Water. I will try harder with the shakes. But then I can't eat food.

Do you know how much protein you are actually consuming? I agree 10 grams is scary, but if you are eating a few servings of high protein food a day, your actual total may be 30-40, which may not be ultimately ideal, but far less worrisome or unusual, especially in the first month or so. I know there are standard recommendations, but some doctors have what I call "old school" opinions. Actually some European doctors don't use shakes at all. They want you on real food. I am not saying this is right, but there is a professional difference of opinion. I do suggest you call you doctor to make sure you are following his recommendations correctly.

Asmbs is the accreditation site for the US bariatric surgeons. The doctors with the highest certification are on there. They also have a lot of good resources for patients. You can see if your doctor is on there. I couldn't find dietary recommendations, but they may be on there as well. Actually, we all follow the "standard" recommendations, and I am not disagreeing with them, but I kind of wonder where they come from. Like, is there an actual scientific study that showed 60 grams is better than 40 grams post op? Or do protein needs vary and 60 is a safe bet? Obviously protein is first on your diet, so it isn't like you are living off of crackers and juice.

Just check in with your doctor. It can't hurt. Long term we are all vulnerable to nutritional deficiencies, and long term we all need to be proactive and self educated to get the best results. Also, some doctors just aren't up to date on recent advances. Surgeons excel at surgery. Nutritional counseling, maybe not so much.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I did drink quite a bit of Gatorade in the hospital. I can say I was extremely thirsty, but not hungry. Being a diabetic, I was given G2 Gatorade (less calories and sugar). Had my choice of either orange or grape. Well after getting out of the hospital, I bought some G2 in Grape, and the orange could not find in G2 (even online. If I did find it, it was outrageously expensive). I drink the grape here and there, but suddenly I don't care for it anymore. It was the greatest thing since sliced bread in the hospital, and immediately after. Now that I'm 5 weeks out, not so much.

Edited by Renkoss

yes, I don't know whether people are serious or not - but I am afraid that they are, and unknowingly setting themselves up for failure.

Allow me to disagree. You can't expect somebody who's just had surgery to have 80-100gr a Protein daily. That's just not possible. I am three days out and my new stomac can't handle more than 3 table spoons of yogurt at a time if not less. We all do it at our own pase, as are all different. Weight loss is not a race and we all do it differently.

Deleted this post because it was a repeated post. Sorry.

Edited by Renkoss

I find it interesting that most of you actually had a "tray" of food when in the hospital after WLS. I was not given a "tray" ever; I was in the hospital for 2-1/2 days and was just brought Gatorade, Water, and asked if I wanted a popsicle. No broth, no Jello, no Protein Shakes were given. The diet while in the hospital was clear liquids only. Just thought it was interesting, and to prove that depending on who and where you have surgery, the rules can be a bit different.

I had crushed ice, jello, ProtiDiet liquid beverage concentrates, and water in the hospital.

yes, I don't know whether people are serious or not - but I am afraid that they are, and unknowingly setting themselves up for failure.

Allow me to disagree. You can't expect somebody who's just had surgery to have 80-100gr a Protein daily. That's just not possible. I am three days out and my new stomac can't handle more than 3 table spoons of yogurt at a time if not less. We all do it at our own pase, as are all different. Weight loss is not a race and we all do it differently.

My surgeon in fact dos expect it. He said there was no physical reason someone couldn't drink 3 premier Protein drinks in one day (33 oz of fluid/90 grams of protein) and expected us to do it. It can be done. It may take all day, but it can be done.