Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Protein, Protein, Protein

Thank you. I am scared to increase my food intake I am scared I am going to stretch my pouch. I eat about 4 table spoons at dinner. 1 egg at Breakfast and try to drink some Protein at lunch. I really need to know it's ok to have a little more as time goes on.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using the BariatricPal App

Not only is it OK to have a little more as time goes on, but it is a MUST .

I believe you really need to call your bariatric team and revisit your program's guidelines.

I truly feel that unless your surgeon did not take enough of your stomach out, it will NOT stretch. From personal experience of misusing my sleeve, I can testify that my sleeve that was is only 10% of my original stomach, has not stretched.

You should not be frightened to progress. Please discuss your fears with your bariatric team: surgeon, Nut., and therapist. Each and every one of them will be able to assure you from their own perspective, as to how and what you need to be eating at each and every level of your journey.

A WLS journey is designed for success when used as a tool. WLS is not supposed to frightened us into submission. Learn to work with it--not in spite of it.

Please, call your team.

Prayers going up for you.

One of the requirements I had to meet in order to be released from the hospital was to be able to drink a whole shake in an hour. I was expected to, and able to, do that the day after surgery.

Ele I think when you say "I can't" you might actually mean "I'm afraid to". I think everyone worries initially about stretching their pouch, including me, but know this: It is highly unlikely that you will stretch your sleeve or pouch. HIGHLY unlikely. Our bari team addressed this issue in support group and they all said that it would take an incredible amount of consistent abuse to achieve such a feat (even harder for sleevers I think). If you want to stretch things out, you MIGHT be able to IF you work hard at it, but that will involve effort, pain, a lot of time, and significant over eating. :) My point is, you aren't going to stretch your pouch. My advice, for what it's worth, is to let go of the fear (seriously, drop it. It's counterproductive), relax, and just follow the plan outlined for you. You'll do great :)

Edited by Shaydi.Laine

I have the little pouch. I had bariatric surgery. I see my team at my 6 weeks I'm still on blended foods.

I know that you had bariatric surgery, friend. You posted that you had a by-pass. I'm sharing with you that while all pouches are not the same size, they aren't "stretchable"--especially at 3 weeks. If your pouch can stretch at all depends on your surgeon's preference and performance.

I read in another post of yours that you are 3 weeks out. I also read that you are frightened.

That is why I am recommending that you call your bariatric team TOMORROW and let them relieve your fears. At three weeks out, you should be able to consume more than you are---and do so without being frightened.

Hmmm he told me not to be worried if it takes me 3 or 4 days to drink a shake. And that I should only eat till I'm full. He also is the one who said that eating to much ( more than when you are full ) and if you drink soda you will stretch your pouch. My fear here is I am starting to be able to eat a little more than I was at first. I went from 2 table spoons to 4 table spoons. I still can't drink a shake in less then 3 or 4 days. And I try I have it for lunch everyday. I will see my doctor on June 1st. I just was wondering if it's ok I am eating a little more than I was. I am sticking to just blended foods no problem with what I eat.

I wish you would call them---tomorrow. I couldn't be more serious about my request that you call.

Somewhere along the line, you have gotten "off track".

What harm can come from calling your bariatric team? It just might help.

Otherwise, so be it. I wish you well.

Prayers going up for you, friend.

I finally found a Protein Powder that I like which makes the whole 2 shakes a day much easier......maybe if you are having a hard time you just don't like what you have....I switched to whey Protein isolate and thank God that I did, the other stuff was awful.....I am still working on Water goals but I do one water then water with a splash of apple juice just enough to taste....helps me get the liquids down. 3 Rd day in a row I made my protein goal since surgery....I am hoping this gets the scale moving (and yes I know it is not all about the scale).

I definitely agree with the spirit of the OP's post.

I will say the recommendations sound a bit high. I've never heard anyone say before that 80g of Protein was their surgeon's recommended minimum. I most often hear 60 g per day.

Re: Water, my surgeon said 48-64 oz.

I can certainly understand the struggles of anyone shortly after surgery finding it virtually impossible to meet 60 g a day. I personally could not for the first few weeks, but I tried really hard. I ate/drank only the most protein-dense stuff I could find and drank Water exclusively. I probably averaged about 45 g a day. I just kept working at it each day and by two months out, I was consistently getting 60 g a day. It also took me about the same amount of time to move from barely reaching 48 oz of Fluid a day to reaching 64 oz. I'm eight months out, I've not been a slow loser and haven't stalled since the dreaded third-week stall.

So, to those newly post-op, do your best. It will work out.

I definitely agree with the spirit of the OP's post.

I will say the recommendations sound a bit high. I've never heard anyone say before that 80g of Protein was their surgeon's recommended minimum. I most often hear 60 g per day.

Re: Water, my surgeon said 48-64 oz.

I can certainly understand the struggles of anyone shortly after surgery finding it virtually impossible to meet 60 g a day. I personally could not for the first few weeks, but I tried really hard. I ate/drank only the most protein-dense stuff I could find and drank Water exclusively. I probably averaged about 45 g a day. I just kept working at it each day and by two months out, I was consistently getting 60 g a day. It also took me about the same amount of time to move from barely reaching 48 oz of Fluid a day to reaching 64 oz. I'm eight months out, I've not been a slow loser and haven't stalled since the dreaded third-week stall.

So, to those newly post-op, do your best. It will work out.

My surgeon wants min of 60 G and top of 80g...

Hmmm he told me not to be worried if it takes me 3 or 4 days to drink a shake. And that I should only eat till I'm full. He also is the one who said that eating to much ( more than when you are full ) and if you drink soda you will stretch your pouch. My fear here is I am starting to be able to eat a little more than I was at first. I went from 2 table spoons to 4 table spoons. I still can't drink a shake in less then 3 or 4 days. And I try I have it for lunch everyday. I will see my doctor on June 1st. I just was wondering if it's ok I am eating a little more than I was. I am sticking to just blended foods no problem with what I eat.

As you heal, you'll continue to be able to eat more, but you still won't be able to eat a lot. 4 tablespoons is not lot of food. Your surgeon seems to tell you something different than most of us hear from ours. Again I was required to drink a full shake in an hour before they would even release me from the hospital, and I was required 3 shakes a day right after that. If I were you, I'd be less worried about pouch stretching and more worried about malnutrition. Sounds like you are not eating enough!

One of the requirements I had to meet in order to be released from the hospital was to be able to drink a whole shake in an hour. I was expected to, and able to, do that the day after surgery.

Ele I think when you say "I can't" you might actually mean "I'm afraid to". I think everyone worries initially about stretching their pouch, including me, but know this: It is highly unlikely that you will stretch your sleeve or pouch. HIGHLY unlikely. Our bari team addressed this issue in support group and they all said that it would take an incredible amount of consistent abuse to achieve such a feat (even harder for sleevers I think). If you want to stretch things out, you MIGHT be able to IF you work hard at it, but that will involve effort, pain, a lot of time, and significant over eating. :) My point is, you aren't going to stretch your pouch. My advice, for what it's worth, is to let go of the fear (seriously, drop it. It's counterproductive), relax, and just follow the plan outlined for you. You'll do great :)

I think I'm still stuck on... you got a whole shake down in an hour before you left the hospital!!? You rock! Lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using the BariatricPal App

@@Shaydi.Laine

I was not even required to eat all my food in the hospital which would have been impossible. My doctor even said it could take me 3 to 4 days to drink a shake and to buy baby spoons plates and bowls that I might only be able to eat 2 bites but not to force it. Don't drink from a straw and no soda ever. I did not have the sleeve I had gastric bypass. In the hospital I did not touch the tea or crystal light or Water I only ate the crushed ice. I was in there 3 days. He also said that Jello and Popsicles count as liquid but I really haven't had much of that. I am drinking more Water still haven't finished a whole bottle but I am doing a whole whole lot better. He also said no fluids for a half hour after i eat. Well after i eat I am so full. All of this was from my surgeon. Do you under why I am confused. I mean shouldn't I be listening to him? I see him on June 1st. And talk to him about all that you all have told me. Thank you so much for taking time to respond.

@@Shaydi.Laine

I was not even required to eat all my food in the hospital which would have been impossible. My doctor even said it could take me 3 to 4 days to drink a shake and to buy baby spoons plates and bowls that I might only be able to eat 2 bites but not to force it. Don't drink from a straw and no soda ever. I did not have the sleeve I had gastric bypass. In the hospital I did not touch the tea or crystal light or Water I only ate the crushed ice. I was in there 3 days. He also said that Jello and Popsicles count as liquid but I really haven't had much of that. I am drinking more Water still haven't finished a whole bottle but I am doing a whole whole lot better. He also said no fluids for a half hour after i eat. Well after i eat I am so full. All of this was from my surgeon. Do you under why I am confused. I mean shouldn't I be listening to him? I see him on June 1st. And talk to him about all that you all have told me. Thank you so much for taking time to respond.

The idea that you were told it was OK to take 3-4 days to drink a single shake (which couldn't have anymore than 30 grams of protein) is ... just totally weird. Perhaps he just meant this was OK for a few days post-op.

And if you're only able to get down a single bottle of water (16 ounces?) per day that's going to get you badly dehydrated and back in the hospital for an IV to hydrate your body. That's a very dangerous situation.

Because you have had a gastric bypass, you have a "pouch." I have a "sleeve." FYI, I was sleeved 21 months ago, have lost 100 pounds and been maintaining at or below goal for over a year -- I now weigh 135 pounds.

Sleeves and pouches aren't the same thing and differ in various ways. But they are both much, much smaller than our stomachs used to be. And here's what else a newly created sleeve and a pouch have in common: For some time after surgery they are both swollen and badly traumatized. And early on neither of them will hold as much as they will a few months hence. Their capacity will increase over time, but only up to a point. But this capacity increase is not due to overeating or overdrinking -- but because it has healed and the post-op inflammation has gone way way down.

Now, back to the Protein. You definitely need one helluva lot more Protein than 10-20 grams a day. No, you don't have to go from 10 grams to 60 grams in one day. But you should know that I was hitting 60 grams of protein by Day 5 post-op. FYI, many patients are able to manage that much protein fairly soon -- unless they have had a stricture or some other unusual response to surgery.

I'm like @@Inner Surfer Girl -- by Month 6 I was eating about 100 grams of protein because by that point I was eating 1,200 calories/day, and the more you eat, the more protein you will eat unless you start eating a lot of "bad carbs," the heavily processed, starchy, sugary carbs none of us should be eating much or any of during the weight loss era.

IMHO regarding your surgeon's instructions about regarding protein intake either: (1) you have misunderstood his instrucs or (2) he gave you bad advice.

Nothing I have said here is meant to be insulting or rude. This is a message board. We discuss stuff here. And everyone makes their own decisions and reaps the results of their decisions.

I've learned so much here. Thanks to all who put forth their stories and experience.