Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Protein, Protein, Protein

yes, I don't know whether people are serious or not - but I am afraid that they are, and unknowingly setting themselves up for failure.

Allow me to disagree. You can't expect somebody who's just had surgery to have 80-100gr a Protein daily. That's just not possible. I am three days out and my new stomac can't handle more than 3 table spoons of yogurt at a time if not less. We all do it at our own pase, as are all different. Weight loss is not a race and we all do it differently.

I was not speaking of the newly sleeved............. I think we are probably more in agreement than not.

yes, I don't know whether people are serious or not - but I am afraid that they are, and unknowingly setting themselves up for failure.

Allow me to disagree. You can't expect somebody who's just had surgery to have 80-100gr a Protein daily. That's just not possible. I am three days out and my new stomac can't handle more than 3 table spoons of yogurt at a time if not less. We all do it at our own pase, as are all different. Weight loss is not a race and we all do it differently.
My surgeon in fact dos expect it. He said there was no physical reason someone couldn't drink 3 Premier Protein drinks in one day (33 oz of fluid/90 grams of protein) and expected us to do it. It can be done. It may take all day, but it can be done.

This is in US. In uk is more about real food. Not Protein powder.

I was told by NUT pre-op that I should do no more than 2 premier shakes at 30 grams each and then another shake with 20 grams or less (so between 60-80 grams Protein). I've maintained at least 60 grams since surgery.

I remember the NUT telling me too much Protein could blow my kidney's out and we didn't want that to happen.

So again, to each his own.

Edited by Renkoss

Wondering if you can have too much Protein at once? I made my Protein Shake this morning and it had 49g of protein. I used Unjury chocolate splendor fairlife 2% milk and oikos triple zero coffee yogurt.

I don't think that is a problem, but then again I'm not a NUT or a doctor. Maybe google it?

Wondering if you can have too much Protein at once? I made my Protein Shake this morning and it had 49g of protein. I used Unjury chocolate splendor fairlife 2% milk and oikos triple zero coffee yogurt.

My nut told me that the body can only absorb 30 g of protein at once.

Wondering if you can have too much Protein at once? I made my Protein shake this morning and it had 49g of protein. I used unjury chocolate splendor fairlife 2% milk and oikos triple zero coffee yogurt.

Yes, you can.

30 grams in an hour is the upper limit that I was given.

Aim for no more than 20-30 grams in one hour.

If you make a shake with more than 30 grams, then divide it into 1/2 or 1/3 and spread it out over several hours.

Wondering if you can have too much Protein at once? I made my Protein shake this morning and it had 49g of protein. I used unjury chocolate splendor fairlife 2% milk and oikos triple zero coffee yogurt.

Usually not unless you have kidney problems. The doctor would tell you if you did. Also more than 30 grams may not be absorbed if you drink it quickly. At least that is the standard suggestion.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Edited by NewAngela

Yes, you can.

30 grams in an hour is the upper limit that I was given.

Aim for no more than 20-30 grams in one hour.

If you make a shake with more than 30 grams, then divide it into 1/2 or 1/3 and spread it out over several hours.

You're right. Thanks for clarifying. I'm many months out so the thought of spreading a Protein Shake out over several hours doesn't really occur to me so much anymore.

I find it interesting that most of you actually had a "tray" of food when in the hospital after WLS. I was not given a "tray" ever; I was in the hospital for 2-1/2 days and was just brought Gatorade, Water, and asked if I wanted a popsicle. No broth, no Jello, no Protein shakes were given. The diet while in the hospital was Clear liquids only. Just thought it was interesting, and to prove that depending on who and where you have surgery, the rules can be a bit different.

I was thinking the same thing. I was at the hospital for two days and they only brought me ice chips, gatorade, and Water. Nobody said anything about eating or drinking Protein Shakes the first few days. After I got home, I did start drinking Protein Shakes.< /p>

My surgeon in fact dos expect it. He said there was no physical reason someone couldn't drink 3 premier Protein drinks in one day (33 oz of fluid/90 grams of protein) and expected us to do it. It can be done. It may take all day, but it can be done.
I could not do it. Two was a struggle. I moved to EAS carb advantage at 17G protein/shake and could just get down two. It took me about a month and a half before I could do 3.

Xx

Edited by FabFemale

I did not know that about the Protein. Good to know! Glad someone asked that question!

I find it interesting that most of you actually had a "tray" of food when in the hospital after WLS. I was not given a "tray" ever; I was in the hospital for 2-1/2 days and was just brought Gatorade, Water, and asked if I wanted a popsicle. No broth, no Jello, no Protein shakes were given. The diet while in the hospital was Clear Liquids only. Just thought it was interesting, and to prove that depending on who and where you have surgery, the rules can be a bit different.

I was thinking the same thing. I was at the hospital for two days and they only brought me ice chips, gatorade, and Water. Nobody said anything about eating or drinking Protein Shakes the first few days. After I got home, I did start drinking Protein shakes.< /p>

I was only on clears for the first three days, and switched to shakes/full liquids afterwards. My clears included broth, sugar free Italian ice and Jello, and even some fruit juice in the hospital.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I did not know that about the Protein. Good to know! Glad someone asked that question!

Agree I was all proud this morning my shake was over 40 G .....guess I will be going back to just powder and no yogurt in it!