Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Protein, Protein, Protein

I have been reading with alarm several posts from people lately who have recently had surgery and don't seem to have gotten the message about how important Protein is to their healing and their weight loss.

It is as if a whole group have completely skipped any nutrition education and think that it is ok to starve themselves.

Protein is critical (a minimum of 80-100 grams, depending on your surgeon's recommendation for your specific needs)

Fluid is critical (at least 64 oz.).

You do not get bonus points for not reaching those goals. In fact, it will slow your weight loss and healing.

(Climbing down off of my soap box for now.)

yes, I don't know whether people are serious or not - but I am afraid that they are, and unknowingly setting themselves up for failure.

I have been reading with alarm several posts from people lately who have recently had surgery and don't seem to have gotten the message about how important Protein is to their healing and their weight loss.

It is as if a whole group have completely skipped any nutrition education and think that it is ok to starve themselves.

Protein is critical (a minimum of 80-100 grams, depending on your surgeon's recommendation for your specific needs)

You do not get bonus points for not reaching those goals. In fact, it will slow your weight loss and healing.

I agree/disagree. I am three years out and I still can't always meet my protein/water requirements. I couldn't even come close for the first year + and my surgeon only advised 64-80gr of protein. :)

I did the best I could, healed like a champ and reached goal with a 110+ pound weight loss in 9 months.

I do agree that you should do protein first and that protein is key in healing and loss, but I am not sure that you have to reach such high numbers to succeed/heal.

:D

I agree with lipstick lady as well everyone is different and unless you are a doctor I do not know where you get your facts on how well others will do. Or if they are doomed to fail because we are different than you. How much weight have you lost? How many years have you been successful in keeping it off?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using the BariatricPal App

I agree/disagree. I am three years out and I still can't always meet my protein/water requirements. I couldn't even come close for the first year + and my surgeon only advised 64-80gr of protein. :)

I did the best I could, healed like a champ and reached goal with a 110+ pound weight loss in 9 months.

I do agree that you should do protein first and that protein is key in healing and loss, but I am not sure that you have to reach such high numbers to succeed/heal.

:D

Whew, thank u for this, I was beginning to get nervous! Lol... I'm like 11 days post op and I'm nowhere near 80g of protein daily... I mean I try, and all my choices seem to be protien! But still can't reach that goal! Lol.... so, I'm headed in the right direction!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using the BariatricPal App

@@LipstickLady my reply was for you. ..lol. it states... Thank you for that, I was beginning to get nervous! Lol. I am 11 days post op and I'm nowhere near 80g of Protein daily! I try really hard, but just cant... most of my choices are high protien and still can't seem to get there... but I will continue to strive! ????

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using the BariatricPal App

It is important to realise not everyones team has the same goals. My surgeon focuses on balance nutrition, Protein, veg, fruit snd grains NOT high Protein. While i do aim for reasonable pritein in my diet it is not my sole focus like many here

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

I hope every surgeon has the goal of making sure you heal and don't have any complications post-op.

A balanced diet is a great goal down the road, but right after surgery protein and fluids are critical --- even if it is hard, or you don't have an appetite, or don't like the taste, etc.

One 11 oz Protein shake spread out over three days and less than 8 oz of Fluid a day is not enough for anyone post-op. I can't imagine any surgeon advocating that diet as a good strategy for anyone.

SMH

Well said, ISG. Well said.

I see some of the stuff first year folks say they are eating and my first thought is "how can they have room for that?".....then it dawns on me that they have room for these other non essential foods because they simply aren't eating the primary focus, Proteins.

For me....it's never really been that I eat any more Protein than before......it's just that I eat far less of everything else. The beauty of me utilizing the "eat Proteins first" method is that I'm always done after that. There is no room for other foods.

My doc recommends 60g of Protein for men, and 50g for women. And 64oz of fluids. His recommendations are about the lowest I've seen on these forums.

Yup....mine doesn't focus much on numbers, but when I've pressed him....these are what he quotes as minimum averages.