Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Protein, Protein, Protein

@@Inner Surfer Girl,

Thanks for the reminder. I agree with your points. A lot of people don’t seem to realize how important Protein is. The requirements your surgeon or nutritionist tell you aren’t a goal or a best-case scenario. They’re requirements! And, like you said, no bonus points for not hitting them! That’s a great way of putting it. :)

Water, too. I think sometimes Water is even more under-recognized and under-emphasized than Protein, but it’s just as important as protein, if not more. It’s more important if you’re concerned about things like life and death, and not ending up in the emergency room from dehydration.

Thanks for the reminder. It was a good reason to get up on your soapbox.

You need to follow your own NUT/Surgeon's requirements. I make sure I always hit my Protein goal which is set at 0.6grams per 1kg of body weight. This is different to what others have posted as their protein goals.

Everyone's doctor and program differs. My doc says 1 gram of Protein for every inch you are tall as a minimum. So for example, I'm 5'7". So my protein minimum is set at 67 grams a day. Mostly I'm ok with that. I still have to remind myself not to sit down without Water next to me ... And it has been years.

I just try everyday.... Really, it's the best any of us can do.... Try!

Some people have a lot of muscle mass and need a lot of Protein. Even at 110 per day, I am not eating the max recommend Protein.

Those of us that started at a much higher bmi, have more muscle mass and need more protein.

I think there are so many "new" people on here straight trolling that I skip a lot of threads, they are getting really ridiculous

We must remember also that we all may not have had the same surgery. Kinda hard to drink a huge amount of anything when you have a tiny pouch. I am not going to force anything. Today I am trying to drink a whole shake I had some for Breakfast some for lunch and I am trying to drink more for dinner. But that made me have no room for anything else. I am to full and I have half a glass left! So unless I am going to be on a liquid shake only diet. This is not going to work for me. I want to have my Soup.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using the BariatricPal App

We must remember also that we all may not have had the same surgery. Kinda hard to drink a huge amount of anything when you have a tiny pouch. I am not going to force anything. Today I am trying to drink a whole shake I had some for Breakfast some for lunch and I am trying to drink more for dinner. But that made me have no room for anything else. I am to full and I have half a glass left! So unless I am going to be on a liquid shake only diet. This is not going to work for me. I want to have my Soup.< /p>

If you can have room for your "soup" then you have room for Protein shakes which have much more Protein. I know you had bypass, but after 3 weeks you can certainly drink three shakes ins day. You just have to work at it.

Lol I can't drink 1 shake in a day. And reread my post I just said I have no room for Soup. I have been trying to get this shake down all day and I have half left and I am not going to be successful because now I am full. I am done eating for today. If I try to take in more I will puke. So I am following your advice and am now on a shake only diet.

I think everybody is taking what the other says way out of context. If we have all gone through the same route to get to surgery, then I'm sure we have all had to be in the group and/or one-on-one with a Nutritionist, Surgeon, Nurse Practitioner, Psychologist, etc. where the emphasis on Protein AND FLUIDS were the biggest part of the discussions/meetings. I'm sure we were all told how to eat after surgery; Protein first, veggies second, starch last. As I move more from liquid Protein shakes, to pureed, to soft foods I find myself drinking less Protein Shakes every day. I realize this and beginning tomorrow will make sure to get at least one higher Protein shake in and one lower Protein Shake in per day. I do make a point of eating soft foods that are all protein such as a one egg omelette with cheese, tuna fish with avocado, chicken breast shredded, refried Beans, etc. I also made sugar free fat free pudding with cottage cheese and some cashew milk. Anyway I can get in added protein, that is my goal.

In my opinion, if you are unable to drink more than one 11 oz. Protein Drink in a day, then something may be wrong with your pouch or new route for intestines. I know that the Protein drinks that tasted pretty good to me prior to surgery don't taste as good after, but I'm forcing myself to drink them just so I know I get that protein in.

Hopefully everyone will calm down and understand that all of the comments are because these people care and are concerned about your health and safety. It is not to tell you what to do, or berate you for what you are doing. We are all on this journey at the same time, and everyone will experience things differently. This evening for dinner my husband grilled some salmon and I made some lima Beans. I barely ate 1/8 of the salmon and about a tablespoon of lima beans and I was in the bathroom feeling like I was dying and head over the commode. Pain in my chest was horrendous. This is the third time this has happened. The other two times I believe I ate more than I should have. This time I did not have that much, so perhaps my pouch didn't like something or I ate too fast. All I know is that I don't like that feeling and I don't want to experience it anymore, so I'll adjust how I'm eating and what I'm eating, and be sure to stop before being full! 5 weeks out and I'm still learning.

I am struggling getting started with the 1100-1200 pre op diet. I am to have two Protein shakes daily and only eat 4 ozs of meat with vegetable I felt weak when I did this any advice

Sent from my XT1254 using the BariatricPal App

I am struggling getting started with the 1100-1200 pre op diet. I am to have two Protein shakes daily and only eat 4 ozs of meat with vegetable I felt weak when I did this any advice

Sent from my XT1254 using the BariatricPal App

The pre-op diet is challenging.

First, stay hydrated.

Second, eat and drink everything you are allowed. This is not the time for extra restriction.

I don't know what your program allows, but if you are allowed sugar-free Popsicles and/or non-starchy vegetables, then eat them.

If you are not sure what is allowed, then call your NUT.

It does get easier and it will be over soon!

Best of luck and good luck with your surgery.

My nutritionist has a recommendation of 60-80 g for women, but it is only 40-50 when you are on clears. That is more realistic I think, and after my first 25 pounds of weight loss, not one pound of muscle was lost. If I have 1 day I can't reach my Protein I don't stress, the vast majority of days I meet or exceed 70 grams. There are differences of opinions. My nutritionist is very experienced with bariatric patients, and well educated in this area.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

My nutritionist has a recommendation of 60-80 g for women, but it is only 40-50 when you are on clears. That is more realistic I think, and after my first 25 pounds of weight loss, not one pound of muscle was lost. If I have 1 day I can't reach my Protein I don't stress, the vast majority of days I meet or exceed 70 grams. There are differences of opinions. My nutritionist is very experienced with bariatric patients, and well educated in this area.

Great. Then it sounds like you received nutritional education and are following your program.

Great. Then it sounds like you received nutritional education and are following your program.

Yeah, 80-100 sounded high for a woman, at least as an absolute. They gave us week to week goals, starting with 40 on clears (1 isopure). The liquid/mushy phase was only 50 than 60, and by my 3 week NUT appointment she suggested 70 for me, but overall women are at 60-80 gram (more is ok). I do agree that a nutritionist should push high Protein, that is the "gold standard" and I would worry a surgeon or nutritionist not stressing a lot of protein may be not up to date on the standard recommendations. I didn't see the posts from yesterday. I am looking for them now. I know some of the leaders and people in my support group did struggle with protein in the beginning, but were ultimately successful. My nutritionist does not mince words if they were not eating well, but she did say that I was better off than some RNY patients that really struggle eating enough in first few months. I had no nutritionist with my lap band 8 years ago, but I guess I was younger and still managed well enough, but the weight loss was very different with this surgery, and during periods of weight loss when my band was too tight (long story) I always consumed Protein shakes.

Lol I can't drink 1 shake in a day. And reread my post I just said I have no room for Soup. I have been trying to get this shake down all day and I have half left and I am not going to be successful because now I am full. I am done eating for today. If I try to take in more I will puke. So I am following your advice and am now on a shake only diet.

I'm sure it'll get better..???? today was the first day that I've gotten a whole shake in! & if I could've done a back flip I would have!! ????

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using the BariatricPal App