Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone not telling anyone about their surgery?

@@auroradawn so, are you going to share the name of your blog or maybe even the link? ☺

I'm not sure we are supposed to share links, but if you google "downforwardthru blogger" it will come up.

There's only one post right now :)

I work in the medical field, so I'm constantly around a lot of "know it all's" but I refuse to lie about what why I am taking off work. I am sort of a no BS type of person, and feel that my decision to have the gastric sleeve procedure done is my choice and my business. However, if someone asks what I am having done, I will tell them, and when they start to tell me why I should not have it done, or that I'm not big enough to undergo such a procedure, I just tell them that my decision is made and continue with my convo/work. Therefore, most of my coworkers know and I'm okay with it.

Truth is, a lot of the people with so many opinions would probably have it done as well if they could afford it or if their insurance would approve them.

I work in a consolidated laboratory for a big hospital system. While I wanted to keep my decision private, the portion of my stomach removed actually ends up at our lab since I had the procedure done at an in-network hospital. When I first started I worked in the pathology department, so I know the staff well. I felt that, to avoid inevitable workplace gossip, I would be transparent. But, like you, I keep the conversations about it pretty short.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I told nobody except my live-in BF. I'm extremely private and prefer not to discuss health issues. I told work I needed to have surgery (they can't ask what kind) and took 2 weeks PTO. I was worried about having to answer a bunch of questions from friends & family but it's amazing how little people seem to pay attention to what I'm eating when out to dinner, etc. Only waitstaff seem concerned and I usually say "I had a big lunch" or "I'm looking forward to yummy leftovers for lunch tomorrow." And even though I've lost almost 75 lbs in 5 months nobody seems shocked nor asks a lot of questions. I would advise newbies to be very selective with whom you tell, because you can't un-tell afterwards and there is no guarantee that folks won't be concerned, etc. We have lived most of our lives battling weight issues and we are the ones that have done the extensive research -- others who are not in the same position may simply not understand our choice.

I try not to tell many people but eventually people slowly start finding out. I kind of have the same reasoning- if they're not in the same position they won't understand and may be judgemental. I have come to the conclusion that I will divulge on a need-to - know basis but I will never be ashamed of it. Like my Dr. said, this is my "cross to bear" and no one else's.

Sent from my SM-G900V using the BariatricPal App

I consider all my health matters as "Need to know", only those who need to know what's going on with my health are told. I'm approaching this the same way. It's no one's business if I'm having sleeve surgery or a wisdom tooth out. Those who are important in my life, who I already talk to and confide in I've told. Everyone else can read it in my mémoires when I write them!!!!

We tend to feel like we owe people an explanation or answer, but we really don't. If it doesn't affect their lives, they don't need to know my business; and if they will literally die from curiosity-then they have bigger problems than me!!

This experience will NOT be the juiciest bit in my life story!

I have only told my husband my mom and a few close friends. I told my dad (whom I am very close with) but he just couldn't understand why I would do that to myself, after all if I just eat a little less and exercise a little more(his words). Then to top it all off he asked if I had told my grandparents!? Who are extremely judgmental! I decided right then and there I wasn't telling one more person. Don't get me wrong I love my dad and grandparents very much they just happen to be very judgey people. So I waited a few months to call and tell my Dad I didn't qualify after all. To which he replied "see I told you." Now I am on my 5th weight in out of 6 and looking to have surgery in late June beginning of July. It helps that my dad and grandparents live out of state, so I just keep talking about how much I have been working out. Maybe one day I'll tell them... Maybe not[emoji6]

Edited by lasmith0802

I am 5 days out, have lost 22 lbs, and have only told my wife, and my two assistants, who would take it to the grave, I too started laying the ground work with my friends a month age, saying the time had come to get healthy. I went to florida for the weekend before the surgery, but told everybody I was there a whole week. I also returned from vacation with a terrible case of food poisoning,( not really ) and had to miss my bf 60th two days after surgery, where my wife made it a point to tell everyone how sick I was. I always joke that a stomach virus is the best way to kick off a diet. I plan on keeping this up as long as I can, and no one needs to know! My 17yr old daughter did not even realize I was at the hospital for two days, haha!

I learned my lesson not to tell ppl when i had open heart surgery... everyone was very opinionate telling me how being a nurse I've should have known better to "eat healthier", I'm only telling those who are driving me to surgery (husband) who paying for surgery (insurance) and who is doing the surgery (M.D.)... thx-ful my job allows me to work from home at times...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G530AZ using the BariatricPal App

I'm not sure we are supposed to share links, but if you google "downforwardthru blogger" it will come up.

I read your blog and find it very inspiring! I bookmarked it so hopefully I'll catch new posts as you write more. Way to go!! I'm happy for you. It has me thinking of ways to record/share/monitor my own journey.

I read your blog and find it very inspiring! I bookmarked it so hopefully I'll catch new posts as you write more. Way to go!! I'm happy for you. It has me thinking of ways to record/share/monitor my own journey.

Thank you!!!