Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone not telling anyone about their surgery?

I am only telling My SO.. other than that I don't really want people to know, it's not like a huge secret but I feel like it's personal and I just don't want people to know.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930AZ using the BariatricPal App

I only told couple close people and no one at work. At work they knew I am taking medical leave to take care of few medical issues and that's it. I did have gallbladder removal with my bypass so I can just say I had to change the way I eat because of that, low fat, low carbs low and no sugar... Plus they have seen me try to lose weight before so I don't think it's going to be too crazy when I go back to work, but I do have some very nousy people I work with that are just too much, that's why I chose not to tell.

It's no ones business but I tell ppl and I am not ashamed but rather proud! I needed a little help! Working from home to the last 4yrs didn't help! I did FMLA for work BC I requested time off and they only gave me 2 days...the butt heads! They tried to ask me but I told them it's against Federal law for them to ask! We did it for us and our families!

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I'm done with all my pre-reqs but don't have a surgery date yet and I haven't told a soul. Just you guys on here. I still haven't decided if I am going to tell my mother and siblings. In an older thread on the same topic a poster gave me this advice: "Wait until you have a surgery date and are on the pre-surgery diet before you decide whether or not to tell anyone." So that's my plan for now.

I will say I am leaning towards flat out lying too!

I told no one but my wife, cardiologist, my primary, and my best friend. My 17 yr old did not even realize I was gone for two days, (teenagers)! Im 5 weeks out, have lost 38 lbs, people are starting to look at me funny, but I say nothing! when they ask, I say I have been dieting, and have lost a few. Its my business! I have been avoiding going out to dinner with friends, cause eating is still rather rough and not enjoyable, but I've been to a few parties and just kind of fake it. i told every one that i had quit drinking for awhile to help the diet, but i am drinking a little, but really have not really wanted too, ( I was a real big drinker before ). Good luck everyone! Its really up to you how you handle this, its no one's business to tell you how to deal with this.

I regret telling some people. I feel like I am constantly being monitored about how much I am losing or what I am eating. It is very frustrating.

My boss tried to talk me out of it, said I should just adjust my diet... Oh ok.

For work I said I had to have a hernia repair. Only my 3 closest best friends now mainly because keeping anything from them is virtually impossible ! I only told 2 of my family members besides my daughters. Now 4 months post op people are noticing and asking, I simply say I'm taking care of myself by eating high Protein low carb and working out. A lot of people around here are doing the Protein Shakes so I fit right in.

I'm going to use your response when the time comes.

Sent from my SM-G920V using the BariatricPal App

Seagull my boss did the same and when I came back to work she wanted to know if I was going to tell people. When I told her no she responded everyone was going to notice when I lost 100 pounds quickly. I was so upset at her response. I told her first I have only lost 25 pounds since the surgery. Secondly it is no one business but my own. Third, if I decide to tell people that is up to me. I dont care what they assume. My private life is just that private. People at work do not need to know everything about me. It is none of their business. She then told me yes it is your business but people are going to notice. I wanted to strangle her. I said and if they notice i am losing weight and ask me I will tell them I am eating low carb and working out. If I decide to tell anyone it will be my decision not hers. Unbelievable! I am getting angry just thinking about it. Gosh!

I'm done with all my pre-reqs but don't have a surgery date yet and I haven't told a soul. Just you guys on here. I still haven't decided if I am going to tell my mother and siblings. In an older thread on the same topic a poster gave me this advice: "Wait until you have a surgery date and are on the pre-surgery diet before you decide whether or not to tell anyone." So that's my plan for now.

I will say I am leaning towards flat out lying too!

I've said a few times on this forum, to me the best plan is to tell no one or tell everyone.

Unfortunately, one of the 6 people I told was my 93 year old mother who I later discovered has gotten too old (senile) to keep a secret.

Unfortunately, by the time I discovered she was babbling about my most guarded secret to anyone who'd listen, I had already lied to most of closest friends.

Needless to say, I wish I had never told her!

Edited by Cape Crooner