Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Okay, we’re not supposed to go out much after weight loss surgery…but let’s be serious. Most of us do, either regularly or occasionally, and either by choice or because friends, family, or work demands it.

So how do you get by? Please share your restaurant secret – either tell us which menu item you order at which restaurant, or give a general tip!

Here’s my go-to trick. Don’t limit yourself to the menu! Most restaurants are happy to serve whatever you ask for, whether it’s a side of veggies instead of fries, or a bowl of cottage cheese that’s not listed in print on the menu. Whatever you want, there’s no harm in asking for it!

What are your tricks and tips?

I find that a good tip for me is to see if there any any folks at my table who want to share. This way, you can have a taste of this or that and not have to pack up half you dinner, or only order an appetizer. I take my portion from what's available, put it on my plate and when I'm done, I'm done. There's nothing left to pick over as others keep eating.

For those who are afraid of over-eating, this is a good tactic.

As a vegetarian with severe food allergies I do the same things I did pre-op. Check the menu online before going, order sides and ask them to bring them out with the main dishes for everyone else. Unless it's a steak house or seafood restaurant I can usually manage something. As a single person a doggy bag means I don't have to cook for a few days so I'm happy to take advantage of that.

Great thread! I'm still preop but so far I've lucked out in going to restaurants that serve Breakfast all day. I can eat part of an omelette with a side of berries or just get an egg with a side of ham. It's not perfect, but it works at this point.

I eat off my husband and kids plates (and usually hubby will let me pick what he orders!). Or I eat a Protein appetizer for my meal.

... a side of ham.

My, how do you fit it all in?

;)

I ask for a box as soon as I put my part I plan to eat on a plate. hubby shares his plate and I order a la carte.

I usually just get a cup of Soup or chili, or an appetizer. I have found that if you don't order anything at all people notice and ask questions, so I make sure to order something

... a side of ham.

My, how do you fit it all in?

;)

I mentioned I'm still preop. But it looks "normal" to order.

At bar-and-grill type places, I often order some sort of salad with grilled chicken. Cobb is good because it usually has additional Protein in the form of hardboiled egg, cheese, and bacon. I make sure that each forkful has a bite of chicken and other Protein with a little bit of lettuce/greens/etc. and I dip my fork into the dressing (which I get on the side). I usually only eat about 1/4 of an entree-sized salad (I'm 5.5 months out). Depends on the salad to whether I take home the leftovers--some get soggy and gross.

At Asian restaurants, I have found that chicken lettuce wraps are a good option; they are usually listed as an appetizer. I typically have enough leftover for another 2 meals.

Diners and Breakfast places are easy--my go-to is a Denver omelette (ham, peppers, and onions) with cheese. I can eat about 1/3 to 1/2 of it. I either ask for them to leave off the potatoes and toast, or I give them to my husband. I might take a tiny bite of hash browns if they look really delicious.

Edited by lauraellen80

Tapas! My husband and I love restaurants that have Protein based tapas and we share. Usually we still have leftovers!

If tapas are not something on the menu, I will look close at Soups and salads. Breakfast is the worst for me because I cannot eat eggs. You can usually find a yogurt parfait but they can be dangerous because restaurants like to add very sugary fruit to them.

If I cannot find anything for breakfast I will go for a plain crepe with sf Syrup and bacon or sausage. There is very little flour in a crepe and for some reason I can tolerate all the egg in one.

The place I had my surgery at gave me a Barix Patient card to show to restaurants. It states I have had this surgery and my surgeon is asking that they allow me to order off the childrens menu or senior citizen menu. Ive not gone out yet so I dont no how receptive they will be. I do im dying to go out for Sushi!!!

The place I had my surgery at gave me a Barix Patient card to show to restaurants. It states I have had this surgery and my surgeon is asking that they allow me to order off the childrens menu or senior citizen menu. Ive not gone out yet so I dont no how receptive they will be. I do im dying to go out for Sushi!!!

Ive been out for sushi a couple times already and it was great. At first I just ordered the sashimi appetizer and that was enough. Last time I ordered the sashimi entree and was able to eat 2/3 of it and my husband finished it

I've been out twice since surgery, both times I've ordered something Protein and veggie heavy that i thought my sister would also eat. I asked them to omit whatever carb (rice, potatoes, etc) was in the meal and use cooking spray instead of oil/butter. I ate Protein first and took almost all of the food home and gave it to my sister so i wouldn't be tempted to graze.