Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pregnant and Banded...come join me!

I've heard from other bandsters that one of their first signs of pregnancy was that they were all of a sudden tight and doing liquids didn't help (this was of course before the test even showed positive) did you experience any unusual tightness?

I've been experiencing all the signs of pregnancy these past few days but my tests are still showing negative...and i'm REALLY tight..argh

My first sign of pregnancy was extreme tightness to where I couldn't get liquids down well and needed an emergency unfill. I had not had a fill before that point for 5 months and had never had a problem like this before. I did not get a positive pregnancy test until the following week or two after the emergency unfill.

Since I have been pregnant, I have had three emergency unfills. Pregnancy has really affected my band tightness more than anything else. I can be fine one day, and the next be virtually closed but without any incident that seemed to cause it.

My band has had tight days during pregnancy, but I suffered none of the instant and extreme tightness that others had right away...my band was just fine and has been pretty easy to live with so far. I think I was 3 months before it got picky. I'm 5 months along...it has tight days, but they are rare and never so bad I can't eat...just another perspective for ya.

First symptom was the super tightness for me too. They took out a small amount and for most of the pregnancy it has been too loose, and a few days of too tight. In the past couple weeks I feel unbanded (which scares me). I wrote my band doc & his nurse and asked if I should have a fluero scheduled for when I come in May to refill.. I am praying the baby is just squishing my stomach so its making things go down easier (if you look at a pregnant belly inside diagram you'll see what I'm talking about).. and not a slip. Please no slip :)

The nurse said she's going to talk with the doc and get back to me.

Unfortunately I am my band doc's first pregnant bander, and my obgyn's first banded pregnant woman. So I don't have someone who can advise me with what to expect..

Edited by FairyFacade

My first sign of pregnancy was extreme tightness to where I couldn't get liquids down well and needed an emergency unfill. I had not had a fill before that point for 5 months and had never had a problem like this before. I did not get a positive pregnancy test until the following week or two after the emergency unfill.

Since I have been pregnant, I have had three emergency unfills. Pregnancy has really affected my band tightness more than anything else. I can be fine one day, and the next be virtually closed but without any incident that seemed to cause it.

Dear God, I PRAY I AM PREGNANT. If not then I have a problem. I haven't had a fill in a year! If I am prego I can only be 2 -2 1/2 weeks along! I just can't seem to get much down (in the eves I can do Soup, the rest of the day, Water is a struggle), but I'm taking it slow to be sure to not make the issue worse with dehydration. Thank you for your input! Pray for me! I'm going to give it a couple more days before scheduling an appointment for an unfill. :) Renee

Dear God, I PRAY I AM PREGNANT. If not then I have a problem. I haven't had a fill in a year! If I am prego I can only be 2 -2 1/2 weeks along! I just can't seem to get much down (in the eves I can do Soup, the rest of the day, Water is a struggle), but I'm taking it slow to be sure to not make the issue worse with dehydration. Thank you for your input! Pray for me! I'm going to give it a couple more days before scheduling an appointment for an unfill. :) Renee

Okay its official! The test (s) came out positive this AM, we're having a baby! Yeah!!!!!!!!

Okay its official! The test (s) came out positive this AM, we're having a baby! Yeah!!!!!!!!

fyi: I'm scheduled for an unfill on the 27th.

Woohooo . . . congratulations. I got really tight after conception wayyy before I got a positive pregnancy test. I guess I am not the only one, lol.

Same here, I was super tight and couldn't really get liquids down (unusual) so I was giving it a week to go away, finally decided to call my doc to get an unfill and it dawned on me (that day I was suppose to have my period), took a test and was postive.. so it was 1 week before missed period when my tightness came on.

hi all i was banded in oct of 07. i lost 95 lbs and got pregnant in august of last yr. i'm now 32 weeks and have gained what feels like a ton of weight lol but so far about 30 lbs. i was not unfilled completely. i had 5.8 ccs in and the dr took out a half a cc and i have had no problems . i'm more worried about having a healthy baby than how much weight i have gained. i'm wondering if there is a difference with labor with the lap band than without??? i don't want my port to flip. and congrats to all the lap band babies out there!!!!

hi all i was banded in oct of 07. i lost 95 lbs and got pregnant in august of last yr. i'm now 32 weeks and have gained what feels like a ton of weight lol but so far about 30 lbs. i was not unfilled completely. i had 5.8 ccs in and the dr took out a half a cc and i have had no problems . i'm more worried about having a healthy baby than how much weight i have gained. i'm wondering if there is a difference with labor with the lap band than without??? i don't want my port to flip. and congrats to all the lap band babies out there!!!!

I'm pretty sure my port is flipped already...I sent Dr. Ortiz an email and he hasn't responded, I think I need to contact his office help but right now getting enough calories and nutrition in is my Main concern...i'm soooo tight...argh-I don't want a sickly baby...

I am currently 29 weeks pregnant. Banded July31 2007. Starting weight 203. Pre- pregnancy weight 167. Now at 7 months and have only gained 1 lb. I am kinda nervous. My first pregnancy I gained 22 lbs, not too bad. My OB said baby is growing right on schedule and heart beat is perfect. I have another ultrasound to measure baby in 2 weeks. I feel great. I can eat what ever I want, just not a lot in one sitting. It is the strangest thing. Has anyone had the dilemma while being pregnant ? First time in my life I am concerned that I am NOT GAINING WEIGHT!!

I am currently 29 weeks pregnant. Banded July31 2007. Starting weight 203. Pre- pregnancy weight 167. Now at 7 months and have only gained 1 lb. I am kinda nervous. My first pregnancy I gained 22 lbs, not too bad. My OB said baby is growing right on schedule and heart beat is perfect. I have another ultrasound to measure baby in 2 weeks. I feel great. I can eat what ever I want, just not a lot in one sitting. It is the strangest thing. Has anyone had the dilemma while being pregnant ? First time in my life I am concerned that I am NOT GAINING WEIGHT!!

Congratulations!!!

I didn't gain either until about a month ago where I started a very slight increase. However, I am still at a net loss for my pregnancy as a whole. My OB said she would be concerned if I don't start gaining a little in the third trimester . . . and I am since I had a full unfill, so I think I should be OK.

By the way, I saw your preggo pictures on your profile, and you look absolutely adorable :0). You have the perfect baby bump and are definitely showing more than I am.

I am near to 29 weeks, due June 9th. When are you due?

Hi. I was banded 2 years ago today! March 19th of 2007. So much has changed. I started at 389 pounds and today i weigh 189 pounds--200 pounds in 2 years! I have never had a fill and have been doing awesome as long as I keep up with the gym.

A few days ago I took 2 pregnancy tests, lol--DID NOT believe the first one--and it was positive...which completely floored me. The only symptoms I had had up to this point (my period was due on March 4th) was feeling very very tired, very sore breasts and soreness by my port. my port area always got sore and "more puffy" when my period was near. My port does seem more slanted or something...i can't quite explain it. how do you know if a port has been flipped?

Anyway, I can't get in to my first OBGYN appt until April 10th and I'm trying to stay calm and relaxed even though I'm really worried. I'm 39 years old, still 50 pounds overweight and have the band. I know for my age that miscarriage rates are high and that worries me.

I guess I'm just looking for some replies from others who are in or have been in a similar situation.

Thanks! I think I'm still in a state of shock and disbelief LOL. I feel compelled to take another test just to confirm that I'm still pregnant! LOL

Virginia

Thank you.....I feel huge!! I am due June1st. So we are only about 1 week apart. Is this your first baby? This is my second. So you had a complete unfill?? I am still filled. I am having another ultrasound in a few weeks to see if baby is growing. My belly is measuring right on schedule. it just kinda feels weird not gaining weight during pregnancy. I am wondering if I will weight less after the baby is born. That would be nice!!