Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pregnant and Banded...come join me!

Hi All!

I hope e'thing is going well. I am 15 weeks and had escaped nausea and vomiting, so far. But...just this past week, I've started and I can't take it!

And as us bandsters know, when we vomit, it causes swelling and makes it hard to get anything down. I am completely unfilled (got unfilled when I found out I was preg...b/c I was already extremely tight). I am having such a hard time right now. I'm worried b/c I don't want the baby to not get what he/she needs b/c I can't eat. My OB gave me Phenergan to take to get rid of the nausea. Some days I can eat just fine, other days I have to do Soup. My stomach is so sore from all the puking...like someone has kicked me in the stomach.

This is driving me nuts. Has anyone else had this problem so far? And what have you done?

I'm sorry you are having such a rough go of it. I didn't have much of a problem until mid-pregnancy where sometimes after I would eat it seems like my stomach just wanted to reject the contents.

For me I had to start eating carbs again like potatoes, crackers, rice and bread in small quantities with food. There is just something about these foods that make my stomach relax. I also had to start with a carb sometimes . . . maybe a couple of bites of mashed potatoes.

This is completely against banding rules for me but I just couldn't stick to primarily Proteins & veggies because they were just too much for me and it seemed like vomiting was a greater risk.

so i guess i should do a proper introduction...i'm 11 weeks pregnant! wow...still in shock. banded 7/28/08...and i'm just a slow loser with the band...and my last fill before i found out i was pregnant was just wayyyy to tight, and i stuck it out thinking it would help me lose weight faster (dumb) but just ended up eating all the easy crap like chips and milkshakes, just cause nothing i ate no matter how much i chewed would stay down, so i ended up gaining weight before i found out i was pregnant

when i found out i was pregnant they had me get a complete unfill, i almost cried, i was like your taking ALL of it...apparently my doctor has had patients who have had their band slip during pregnancy and they dont discover it till the baby is born...

so i cried later, and then had a sandwhich, WITH BREAD!!!!! lmao...bread never tasted so good.

i thought having a complete unfill would be disasterous...suprisingly...i've lost 5-6 lbs

i have morning sickness all day every day since about week 6, only vomited twice, the rest is just REALLY bad nausea

ok thats me, thats where i'm at, and just wanted to say HI!

Band or no band, women who have bad morning sickness in the beginning all face the nutrition worry..from what I had read, your baby will be fine till you can eat normal again but Heather is right high-carb is best right now.. breads, crackers, etc. You should eat heavy carbs before going to bed, which should help in the morning. I didn't have the morning sickness, I just remember reading that chapter in my what-to-expect book!

The days you said you can only get Soup down, try some of those food replacement shakes like Ensure.

Also are you taking prenatal Vitamins?

My doc prescribes all pregnant patients of hers 2 things for nausea. One of them is a dissolvable tablet that goes on your tongue, I filled it just to have them on hand and they work really well (for me and DH). It's something they give to chemo patients. Have you asked your doc for something?

Heather and Fairy,

Thanks for the responses! Yes, I've definitely noticed that my stomach is more settled after I eat carbs...toasted bread, crackers, noodles. So, I think I will try to make sure I keep plenty on hand. It's kinda weird b/c for us bandsters, the bread used to cause so many problems (getting stuck, etc.).

My OB did prescribe Phenergan for nausea. It does work, but it causes drowsiness, so I have to be careful when I take it...I'll ask about that dissolving tablet you're talking about, Fairy. And yep, I did start taking prenatals, but they started the nausea! I didn't have one lick of nausea or upset stomach, until I took them. I even did a little experiment to see if they were causing it and yep, it was them. So now, I'm just taking my regular liquid Centrum Multivitamin. OB said that was fine.

Hopefully all of this will pass! If not, then I'll just have to deal.

so i guess i should do a proper introduction...i'm 11 weeks pregnant! wow...still in shock. banded 7/28/08...and i'm just a slow loser with the band...and my last fill before i found out i was pregnant was just wayyyy to tight, and i stuck it out thinking it would help me lose weight faster (dumb) but just ended up eating all the easy crap like chips and milkshakes, just cause nothing i ate no matter how much i chewed would stay down, so i ended up gaining weight before i found out i was pregnant

when i found out i was pregnant they had me get a complete unfill, i almost cried, i was like your taking ALL of it...apparently my doctor has had patients who have had their band slip during pregnancy and they dont discover it till the baby is born...

so i cried later, and then had a sandwhich, WITH BREAD!!!!! lmao...bread never tasted so good.

i thought having a complete unfill would be disasterous...suprisingly...i've lost 5-6 lbs

i have morning sickness all day every day since about week 6, only vomited twice, the rest is just REALLY bad nausea

ok thats me, thats where i'm at, and just wanted to say HI!

Congratulations, Sasha!

Like you, I had my band completely unfilled when I found out. I just told myself, just keep eating the way you've learned and e'thing will be okay. And it has. To be honest, I've only gained 2 lbs so far, since being unfilled. So, just stick to the plan and you'll be okay.

I feel for you w/the nausea. I've only been dealing w/this for 1 1/2 weeks. And I'm hoping it will go away. The only thing I had early one was dizziness and breast tenderness, but both of those have gone away.

I'm terrified of slipping my band. And I sure hope your nausea goes away soon. No fun at all.

Best wishes to you!!

hi, i just found out a week and a half ago i'm pregnant, i cancelled a fill i had for that weekend but since then I have gained 12 pounds!!! my band was feeling a tiny little bit loose before but is soooo loose now....I can't stop eating, I have stopped smoking so I suppose this has something to do with it and I am so bloated, but 12 pounds in 10 days??? I'm so upset and scared that I'm going to gain all the weight I had lost, I was down 63 pounds! I was feeling so good about myself but now with hormones and all am really upset at how much weight i'm gaining already and feeling very down about it. eating bread for the first time in a year.....feel like it's all gone to pot....anyone else experience this?

xx

I did. I had to stop smoking when I found out I was pregnant, plus had a slight unfill. I gained 10lb in a week 2 times throughout the pregnancy and I don't think I had swelling/fluid retention till I went into the hospital to have him.

I gained 72lbs (+3lb in the hospital) total by the end of it, and he will be 3 weeks Thursday and I have lost 33lbs so far. So don't worry too much, I was hungry allll the time too and it did go away as soon as he got here (whew). I gave up worrying about my weight, in hopes that when he got here I'd get back on the band wagon.. and I did.

I too had gained alot of weight with my first child a year + ago.. now i am on baby # 2, I have a loose fill as well and have been eating like a mac truck! I am going for a fill on thursday.. (hopefully my doc will let me!) As long as I am eating healthy, and not vomiting, I think I should be able to get a fill. I too have been eating things I shouldn't be.. bread, pizza, pasta.. its been horrible.. I am only 7.5 weeks along with this pregnancy, and have a 15 month old, but I sure dont want to gain 50 lbs again.. I still had 10 lbs to lose to get to my pre-pregnancy weight and here I am again. So we must stick together.. and do our best to help each other stay strong and eat the right foods.. even if we pig out on veggies.. like sweet potato fries or something (home made in the oven) I have been horrible lately myself, so maybe if we can all help each other.. then we might be able to stay strong together!

I am due december 18th, but will like have another c-section beginning of december. I will know more thursday at my first pre-natal doctor appt.

Candice

Hey All,

Just wanted to update ya'll. Well, I'm just getting home from the hospital. My earlier posts were about nausea and vomiting, well, unfortunately mine got much worse. All last week, I was puking. Thursday night/Friday morning (around 2:30 am), I started vomiting up black, tarry, coffee-grind like stuff. I was like whoa. We've gotta go to the ER ASAP.

Sooo, my Lap-Band doc is about 2 hrs away. So we drove to the hospital there. They did admit me Friday morning. They said I had hyperemesis gravidarum (basically extreme nausea and vomiting, beyond the normal morning sickness). I knew my band had slipped. With as much puking going on, it couldn't help but slip. They did x-ray and it definitely slipped.

They wanted to observe me over the weekend before doing surgery. Of course, surgery was the absolute last resort (I'm 16 weeks.).

So yesterday around 3:30pm, they removed my band. All went well and the baby is still going strong, so that's good.

I'm still a bit groggy right now, but wanted to share w/ya'll.

I'll pop back in probably tomorrow.

Hey All,

Just wanted to update ya'll. Well, I'm just getting home from the hospital. My earlier posts were about nausea and vomiting, well, unfortunately mine got much worse. All last week, I was puking. Thursday night/Friday morning (around 2:30 am), I started vomiting up black, tarry, coffee-grind like stuff. I was like whoa. We've gotta go to the ER ASAP.

Sooo, my Lap-Band doc is about 2 hrs away. So we drove to the hospital there. They did admit me Friday morning. They said I had hyperemesis gravidarum (basically extreme nausea and vomiting, beyond the normal morning sickness). I knew my band had slipped. With as much puking going on, it couldn't help but slip. They did x-ray and it definitely slipped.

They wanted to observe me over the weekend before doing surgery. Of course, surgery was the absolute last resort (I'm 16 weeks.).

So yesterday around 3:30pm, they removed my band. All went well and the baby is still going strong, so that's good.

I am so sorry you went through this. It has to be quite a shock to lose the band during pregnancy (or any time for that matter). I think I remember you saying that you got unfilled early on so you did everything you could do. My heart really goes out to you. I know what it is like to get sick with pregnancy and there is not much you can do other than take a few meds and hope it goes away.

I am happy to hear that the baby is doing well. I wish you the best of luck with everything and a healthy pregnancy (minus the extreme morning sickness issues).

Hey All,

I too am sorry to hear that news but very glad for you that all is well with your baby. I know its easyto say when its not me in that position, you just desribed my worst fear and I really feel for you having to go through this.

Maybe you can be rebanded after bub arrives. Good luck and please keep us posted:smile2:

Thank you for your well wishes. I'm still moving slow...I have the 5 incisions, just like when they put the band in. Haven't taken any pain meds today.

I can't help but feel a little guilty for putting the baby through all of this...all the anesthesia, pain medication, etc. I know they had to take the band out, but I still have that guilt. I just pray that the baby wasn't harmed during this. I would have a real hard time forgiving myself if something did happen. I just have to trust God.

I wish I didn't have to lose my band, but it was for the best. I've lost 80 lbs and believe I have truly made the lifestyle changes necessary to not gain the weight back. Since I had my band unfilled, I only gained 3 lbs, so I was doing pretty well. Oh well. Such is life, right?

To be honest, I don't think I'll have the band put back in after the baby's born.

Hi guys im so glad i found this forum, i am 10 weeks pregnant and have been banded 18 months, ive only lost 22kg but i think thats down to lack of support as i was banded in the uk before i emmigrated to australia and dont have the money or insurance to get the help. My doctor is concerned about me being pregnant as she has never had a patient with a band before and has asked me to go and speak to a surgeon who deals with lap bands. I have been so nauseus the last 7 weeks, i sometimes wish i could just vomit and feel better rather than feel sick 24/7, ive lost 6 pound so far but ive started to eat slightly better as the nausea wears off, im very nervous about bein banded and pregnant im praying that nothing goes wrong as it was a doddle with my other two whom i had prior to band. Anyway congrats to everyone who is having a bub and i will keep track of this thread as it is full of so much helpful info.

Hello everyone!! I am so happy to be joining the group. I was banded in Jan of '08 and am due to have my little one in Jan of '10. I am so excited. I had a feeling the last 3 weeks that I was pregnant and had taken 5 pregnancy tests that all came out with a faint positive :blush: but today I got the blood test results so I feel like its real:w00t:. I have my first appointment with the nurse on the 2nd and then I have to wait to see the Dr. until the 30th. I do however have a question for you. Is it normal to be feeling tinges of pain and cramping every once and a while when your between 5 and 6 weeks? I'm sure everything is changing down there but this is the first time I have ever been pregnant so I'm a little worried. Anyway congradulations to everyone and I'm looking forward to getting to know you all more. :blush: