Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pregnant and Banded...come join me!

No port pain yet . . . but back pain has been really bad. I have never been to a chiropracter in my life but have gone twice in the last month. I am really miserable sometimes and can't sleep (and I have a high pain tolerance).

This has been a problem for me since the beginning of pregnancy but it is getting progressively worse.

Has anyone else suffered with unusual back pain in early and mid pregnancy? I am starting to get worried about the third trimester.

I had pretty bad back pain with my first pregnancy. I went to a chiropractor the entire time. I'm already noticing back pain and I'm 8weeks. i sit at a desk all day and my posture has changed. I'm going to ask my OBtomorrow for a referrral to chiro and massage theryapy. Gotta stay comfortable and healthy! Are you trying to do some mild streatching through out the day? I get up every hour or so and walk around, try to touch my toes, take a few clensing breaths, reach up high. Just open things up. Do you work? Also make the hubby do most of the house work!!

Heather, I had crippling lower back pain early pregnancy. I felt ridiculous, I had to see 2 doctors and a physical therapist and I'm going "yeah I'm only 8-12 weeks pregnant" and I couldn't hardly move. They put me on pain meds for a few weeks & bed rest.. it did absolutely nothing for me.. They said it's because my pelvis is twisted so when the baby hormones loosened my ligaments, my pelvis became unstable. I ordered a pelvic belt, which did relieve the pain a little bit but it was temporary relief. What fixed it was 2 exercises the PT gave me. I was in this pain for over a month, and when I saw PT, I felt better within 3 days doing the exercises.. and it has not come back. I have felt it 'coming' back and I do the exercises and it stops it in its tracks. It depends on why you're having the pain of course, so I'd recommend seeing a PT (My GP and OBgyn were pretty much unable to help).

He made me go buy a small rubber ball from the kid's section at wal-mart.. and then lay on my back on the floor, with my legs on the wall, bent, like I were sitting on a chair.. put the ball between the knees, and then inhale through nose, exhale through mouth (he said something about diaphragm exercises help the back muscles).. and for the breathing, every inhale--clench the ball between your knees and hold it for 5 seconds.. then exhale and relax the ball. Repeat for 5 sets. The other exercise was more specific to my twisted pelvis, same position but with 'inhale', roll the ball back with my leg, pushing my left leg back into my pelvis slowly-holding it, exhale, inhale and pull it back more, etc. for 5 sets. Again, that was specific to my ailment, but the PT cured me, I'm a believer in them now..

Oh the PT I saw by the way, specializes in pregnancy related problems.. he explained why I was hurting, and he told me by 20 weeks it should stop hurting, because the baby will be big enough to essentially 'stabalize' my pelvis. But the exercises helped me within 3 days and I guess I was around 14 weeks by time I got fixed. He said a lot of women have pains into the 3rd trimester that would be a different pain (knock on wood!!) I have had no other pains.

Edited by FairyFacade

fairy,

how is your pelvis twisted? is it higher or lower on one side of your hips, or does it sit tilted or what? my friend had a tilted pelvis from a horrible car accident we were in during high school and was unable to conceive until last year after 8 years of trying. her's was diagonal....basically if she were standing straight up and you looked down on her from aerial, bird's eye view, the left side of her hip bones/pelvic bone angled closer to her left buttock cheek and her right side angles away from her buttock/rear side.

My left side of my pelvis is tilted up & forward.

I had undiagnosed scoliosis, so my pelvis is twisted, and the bottom of my spine starts out as the bottom of an S.

hey guys just wanted to let you know that we lost the baby. I will check back in on you girls to see how all is going. wishing you all the best!!

xoxoxo M

MyNewLife, I am really so sorry to hear your news. My heart goes out to you. I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

What fixed it was 2 exercises the PT gave me. I was in this pain for over a month, and when I saw PT, I felt better within 3 days doing the exercises.. and it has not come back. I have felt it 'coming' back and I do the exercises and it stops it in its tracks. It depends on why you're having the pain of course, so I'd recommend seeing a PT (My GP and OBgyn were pretty much unable to help).

The source of my pain is an injury that happened about 6-7 years ago when gardening. I never felt it happen at the time, but I was in pain for about a week thereafter and it was nothing crippling. It would come and go occasionally in the years thereafter, just a twinge for a few days but nothing unbearable. I would take some liquid advil, lots of bubble baths and a little massage and that was enough to get through.

Then I got pregnant. The pain that used to be every few months started happening every week and was worse than ever before. When I am at my worse, I can get around but I am not comfortable and can't concentrate on work or anything. It is a misalignment right where my bra strap crosses my back.

My chiropracter helped - because I was definitely misaligned. He said it is because pregnancy releases something called "relaxin (spelling?)" and I am just more prone to be misaligned because my joints are looser.

He also gave me exercises. I have to stand in a doorway with my hands in the jambs and do a stretch kind of like a push up. I also do the stretches on my hands and knees where you arch your back in and out.

The exercises are helping amazingly enough. I am going to ask my OB for some baby/band safe meds for when it is really bad next time. Tylenol doesn't do anything for me at all - I am starting to think I am immune to the affects.

Monday is my exciting mid-point ultrasound where I get to hopefully find out the sex. I can't wait :0)

I am going to ask my OB for some baby/band safe meds for when it is really bad next time. Tylenol doesn't do anything for me at all - I am starting to think I am immune to the affects.

Monday is my exciting mid-point ultrasound where I get to hopefully find out the sex. I can't wait :0)

Heather, im the same way with Tylenol ... might as well be popping M&Ms... although Tylenol PM sometimes works...

hope the kiddo's not as stubborn as Joshua was and you find the sex out Monday! keep us posted!

I'm so sorry newlife, you'll be in my thoughts.

Heather, my GP prescribed lortabs when I started with the pain and they made me do bed rest. He called my OBGYN to find out what she'd be comfortable for me to be on (I really wanted Advil, it always helped my muscle pains), but she said absolutely no Advil (which I'm sure you know!) but lortab would be ok. Lortab never 'fixed' problems for me, it just made me not care that I hurt.

I'm so sorry newlife, you'll be in my thoughts.

Heather, my GP prescribed lortabs when I started with the pain and they made me do bed rest. He called my OBGYN to find out what she'd be comfortable for me to be on (I really wanted Advil, it always helped my muscle pains), but she said absolutely no Advil (which I'm sure you know!) but lortab would be ok. Lortab never 'fixed' problems for me, it just made me not care that I hurt.

I had my appointment today with my OB/Gyn and she said just keep doing what I am doing and didn't suggest any meds. The only thing she mentioned is maybe using a heating pad as well. I really miss my Advil which is a very definite no.

I guess it is all for the good of the baby so I will grin and bear it for now. :cursing:

By the way . . . my quad check came back normal. I also had my mid-point ultrasound and everything looks great and the baby is in breech position right now.

Also the tech said for the sex check that there are three lines and no dangly's . . . so she is pretty darn sure it is a girl but she is not allowed to say it with 100% certainty.

It is so exciting and now it is so real. My pregnancy seems to have moved in my mind from a "condition" to an "actual baby." It makes all the difference in the world when the ultrasound shows fingers, toes, nose, eyes, etc. instead of shadowy blobs, lol.

yay! congrats Heather... 'no dangly's' LOL ..

it was VERY evident with Joshua ... once he finally decided to show his goods, he not only flashed us but he then turned and mooned us - no doubt...