Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Would like to ask about no fluids 30mins pre/post food.

Hi everyone.

My op was nearly 4 weeks ago, and I've had no problems whatsoever. I've noticed that the rate of weight loss has started to stall a bit, but have been told this is normal. I'm comfortably eating softs and have just started on some more substantial vegetarian Proteins and solids. My question however, is in regards to the restriction on no liquids before, during, or after meals.

Now, I'll start by saying I don't drink alcohol at all. I've also no had a single carbonated drink since my pre-op diet, and to be honest I'm not missing them. My Fluid of choice is usually an ice cold, slightly weak diet-cordial.

I have noticed however, just how much I enjoyed having a cordial with my meals. Before my op, I'd neck a glass before sitting at the table and then consume another glass whilst eating. Obviously, I'm not doing either now, but I find post op that I'm getting quite a dry mouth and would love nothing more than 1/2 sips of fluid before attempting to eat.

I'm aware that the risks of drinking is that it encourages the stomach to stretch - but is this still an issue with all fluids (aka. 1/2 sips of cordial/water)? Or does it apply to excess drinking/eating/drinking/eating with the aim of getting more in?

Thanks for your time and replies :)

Sorry no answer. I want to know this too I'm pre op and all my life I have drank a glass or two if Water with every meal I think this will be a harder habit to give up than carbs... and I live carbs lol

I am only 3 days post-op so I can't comment directly on that specific question. What I will say is that I will see this being tough for me too, but I will not look for a way around it. People spend a lot of time on these boards second guessing surgeons who have performed thousands of the procedures. People want to hold onto old habits even though it is made clear that those habits must change for us to have the best chance at long term success.

I look at it this way. Doing things my way got me morbidly obese, pre-diabetic and sleep apnic. If I'm going as far as to have 85% of my stomach removed, I'm going to commit to following my doctor's directions. Half measures availed me nothing before and I don't believe they will now.

I'm not trying to come off as preachy, I'm just stating how I am looking at all of these changes.

Okay straight up . its not just the stretching. the real reason is, related to dumping. Putting Fluid in your gut with food will push that food through your sleeve too fas

t, which results in more undigested food reaching your lower digestive tract.

When this happens your colon and affiliates, decide it's not good and pushes it out. And you wind up with the extreme need to spray paint the toilet bowl. If you get my drift.

I've tried just taking little sips even, and its not a good thing. Now granted it has become much better over time, and as your sleeve stretches more, you will technically be able to have a few sips. I was always a huge drinker while eating, not alcohol, but just drinking. That s lost now. It takes time to get past it. Breakfast is the worst. When i say you will get past it, I'm not joking, it's the truth.

Thanks for the replies.

I think I'll take this q to my dietition and surgeon next time I meet them, as I feel there may be even a few more variables to add into this equation. I'm vegetarian, and as such my Protein digests a lot faster than meats - this gives me the feeling of being 'hungry' a lot quicker than if i ate a more round and 'meaty' diet.

Please don't think im trying to find my way around anything - im all for changing habits, but if there are no significant medical risks with 1 or two sips of Fluid before eating, then my next 60 years on this earth are going to be eternally more enjoyable ;).

Thanks for the replies.

I think I'll take this q to my dietition and surgeon next time I meet them, as I feel there may be even a few more variables to add into this equation. I'm vegetarian, and as such my Protein digests a lot faster than meats - this gives me the feeling of being 'hungry' a lot quicker than if i ate a more round and 'meaty' diet.

Please don't think im trying to find my way around anything - im all for changing habits, but if there are no significant medical risks with 1 or two sips of Fluid before eating, then my next 60 years on this earth are going to be eternally more enjoyable ;).

My doctor said it's perfectly fine to have a few sips if you need to get food down. I don't think they expect you to choke on food or have such a dry mouth that you can't get anything down. The only thing about having a sip when it's needed is the part where you don't go back to old habits and continue drinking. That will flush all your nutrients that you need. But I would definitely bring that concern up to your doctor to see what he/she says.

Good luck!! You can do it!!!

I hope you will follow the guidelines set forth by your surgeon and NUT.

Because my serving size is comfortable at 1/2 cup, any liquid I consume prior to or while eating takes up considerable and valuable real estate and I'd rather have the food and nutrients in me than the liquid. I can wait to take my sips of my preferred beverage.

Firstly, talk to your NUT, depending on the particular dimensions of the bougie used in your surgery, this answer changes. However, mine recommeds 15 min pre and 30 min post, mostly to avoid the Fluid flushing food out of the pouch and causing a sensation of 'empty pouch' too early thus leading to more eating. However, she does also allow for teensy tiny sips during a meal for the reasons of A) Wash out that terrible taste/spiciness B) you need to get food TO yoyur pouch or C) It's just so damned good and only do it once in a blue moon.

Edited by Smye

I'm 7 pounds to goal because I followed most of the "rules" to a T. And the drinking rule is no exception.

No snark. Just sayin'.

I've always been a huge Water drinker, but had to change that post-op.

My surgeon said drinking before eating is okay, even all the way up to your first bite because the liquid passes very quickly. But once you start eating you should wait at least 30-60 minutes before drinking to prevent dumping. If I have very dry mouth I will take a sip of Water, swoosh it around and spit it out until I'm past the 30 minute mark.

My surgeon's plan is no liquid 10 minutes prior and 30 minutes after. I will take a small sip - very small sip- during a meal or right after a meal if the meal is spicy or if my mouth is very dry. I will sip the Water and hold it in my mouth for a moment before swallowing to try to get the most bang for my buck out of that little sip. I try to follow the letter of my surgeon's law but sometimes I need a little liquid to help me actually eat. If I consume a total of 1.5 oz at a meal I would be very surprised and it is not at every meal. By far most of my meals I don't drink anything during my meal. At home I sit down with no drink and only get something if I absolutely need it.

I have vomited exactly once when I first moved from soft foods to solid foods. I ate my chicken, ate some broccoli and drank more than a sip of Water. Nothing like running to the bathroom at the restaurant. We were out to dinner with friend's for my husband's birthday. That taught me real quickly to not drink with my meal.

I was always told that since you cannot each much during any one meal/snack you don't want to fill up with liquid prior to the meal. You need to have the room to get in your Protein and maybe a few green vegetables. If you fill up on liquid then you get hungry sooner which can lead to grazing or needing to add another snack during the day.

For the 30 minutes after eating this is so you don't flush the food out of your sleeve to quickly which can lead to you getting hungry too quickly.

Because your tummy is tiny you don't want to fill up on fluids. Also drinking while eating may push the foods through before your tummy has a chance to begin digesting. I would advise taking even smaller bites and chewing more. Only take the tiniest of sips if you absolutely have to. Even then it should only be Water you are sipping on. The sugar & carbs in something like a cordial are most likely too high for your calorie count.

I was told I can drink up to the first bite and then not until 30 minutes after the last bite. It works fine for me and I am down 50 lbs in 4 months.

I have done the sip (only if necessary) while eating. My problem was before & after. I eliminated that about two weeks ago, when I hit the stall I am on, by just not getting anything to drink. At home I have to get it and if we are out to eat I just tell the wait staff - "no drink, thanks". hubby likes to eat out a lot and I am learning how to eat all over again. I ask for the to go box with my meal. At Red Lobster this past weekend I got a "that was very responsible" response from the waitress when I immediately put 4/5 of my food in the box.

Yup, what everyone said. If you drink before, it fills you up so you can't eat enough Protein. If you drink afterward, it creates a "slurry" in your stomach that goes through quickly, leaving you hungry sooner. Best bet is to get used to not having a glass with you at the table. It's weird for the first few weeks, but then it becomes habit. All that being said, if you need a "1/2 sip" as you say, that shouldn't be a problem. Just don't let it slip to 1, then 2, then 3... And what the heck is a "diet cordial" anyway?