Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Has anyone taken up Bycyling?

WOOT WOOT

I just did my first group ride on the roads of central Ohio.

We did 23 miles, up hills and down hills (I went 35mph down a big one!)

I kept up with my group and they were so encouraging! Oh my goodness, I'm hooked. Absolutely and without question. I so want to go again and again!

I learned so much too! The rules of the road, how to peddal efficiently, etc.

That's right, I rode that bike!!!

what kind of bike were you using? I am looking for anew one, and have been doing some research on the landrider....$$$$$ but, i have started biking in May right before my surgery, on a single speed bike. So, I want to upgrade....

Very proud of you for completing the miles today..way to go!!!!!

I am using a cheap one from Walmart..."Roadmaster"...It's $75---I plan on getting me a new bike--maybe in 6 months. It's my starter bike. I took off 10 days--But today--6-27-07 I was back on track. I road with 2 neighbors who are 1/2 my age. They rode with em for about 35 minutes--not too bad. I can tell they need to get in shape. Since I am 50 and her and her budy is 23 and 24....

But--I hope every one has adjusted all of the schedules due the hot weather...

the land riders are quite pricey....not sure ii I can afford one, but heck, if I am not eating as much I should have plenty of money right?? LOL

I like riding and at least there is a breeze..I have been walking at work during lunch and am pulling a huge hill.....i am usually drenched by the time I get back....at least if I was riding there would be "some" wind....I will say, I wasnt doing this at all 2 months ago

I bougt a Giant (te brand name) Road bike. It has the skinny tires and the curved handlebars.

When you know what kind of riding you want to do, go to a good bike store and look around. Ride three or four bikes before you buy one to make sure it fits your body.

Thanks for the props.

Juli

WOO HOO Juli...that sounds like such fun!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am so jealous!!!! 35 mph....holy sh~t....I bet that was a blasssssssssttttttttt..... So do they ride in pairs down the road or single line or what? I think I am still a bit big because hills slow me WAY down!!!!!! I mean like almost to a snails pace....The other night we went 16 miles and my ass hurt sooooooooooooo bad, I could barely walk afterward. LOL...I also love biking and I have a Raleigh Venture 3.0 It is a comfy bike to ride with bigger tires but meant for commuting and pleasure riding. I put it through the tests though. My hubby is getting one this Friday...he loves mine. The better bikes are so worth it!!! They are better built and are nicer riding. Good luck on finding a bike. Deanna

It's cool for now--the Cheap Bike from Walmart has helped me lose the 30 plus pounds--So I am not gonna act like the more the bike costs--the more weight is gonna leave me...lol..

My deal is--if I rode a tricycle or a bike put together will parts for all types of bikes--it's my effort that will do the Job....

Lee, I was not talking about your bike or how much it cost. I was talking to the ones who are wondering what kind of bike to get. I had a Kmart special too and it lasted about a month before I wanted a better bike. That is what I was referring to...the better the bike the better the ride. I didn't mean for you to take it as a personal attack on your bike. I agree, it is you who does the work!!!! But the better the bike the better the bearings and the better the ride, that is what I was tying to get across to the ones who were wondering about what bike to get. Also, when I got my Raleigh versus my Schwinn it made a huge difference in how far and long I could ride. Sorry if you thought I was putting you down...Deanna

Deanna-

We rode in pairs and singlefile, depending on what was coming from behind. You call out to the people in your group the cars or other bikers coming at you. I was basically told my only responsibility was to ride in a straight line! Which was about all I could handle.

The other bikers, were pulling the paint off the road they were going so quickly. Holy Sh!t! But I want to be like them!

Lee, you are so right! You will lose wieght based on your calories burned. It's all about effort. One bike isn't going to be better than another for that. But if you have additional goals about speed or distance specifically designed bikes will better help you meet those goals just because they feel better and you'll keep your butt in the seat longer.

Xo ya'll

Juli, I think that is the COOLEST!!! One more question....ok, two more. How many were in the group and did you do it on a hiway, freeway or just back roads? Deanna

There were about 40-50 riding. My little group there were 7. We were on the tail of it. They had three routes: 25, 35, 42 miles long. My group did the shortest one.

Mostly we are on country roads and past some subdivisions. It's not super rural where we rode, but two lanes no gravel. There was one busy intersection.

Tonights ride in primarily in a park. They said we might leave the park depending on the mood of the group.

Thanks for all your interest!

J

Juli, that is just the coolest thing ever!!!! I would love to do that when I get a little smaller and can go faster up hills. Do you all wear the bike shorts and shirts? Does your back hurt or your hands go to sleep? Deanna

Deanna,

You're cracking me up!

Yes, I wear the very ugly shorts, but they make the booty feel so much better! I don't have a top yet, but it's next on my list.

I have gloves, shoes, helmet, blinking light for the back end...

My hands don't fall asleep but my wrists hurt a bit. My feet DID fall asleep last night. It was suggested that I ask the bike shop people about where my foot hits the peddle. I dunno. Tonight's ride is shorter, I'll see how I feel.

My back and shoulders are painfree since I bought the new bike. It really fits my body.

As for going up hills, use a less resistance and peddle the hell out of it. They more you do the easier it will get!

Juli

Where exactly does the blinking light go on your back end....LMAO!!! Its a flashing ass!!!! Ok..seriously now... I DO peddle the hell out of it but I can't do it very long without thinking I am going to die right then and there from my heart beating so very fast. We ride up the local university and there are two hills that I have been doing. They are gonna be the death of me. It seems like they would get easier, like when I train with weights, it gets easier and then I add weight, but hell no....this uphill crap is not getting any easier. I am wanting to be able to ride to classes next semester, but don't think I want to have to take a shower after I get there from all the sweat that is pouring off of me going up the hill. Maybe it will get a bit easier the littler I get too, I don't know. Skinny bike riders make me sick!!!!!!!!! LOL...Deanna

Yeah, my flashing ass. Scary thought. It goes either on the back end of you shorts, the waste band under your seat, or for me it goes on the pouch under my seat.

BTW, check your tire pressure every time you ride, make sure it's at the right PSI.

As for skinny biker bitches, watch out you're talking about me! (okay this time next year) and yourself!

If I have to go up a hill to speed down one, I'll do it! That was such a rush!