Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Has anyone taken up Bycyling?

awesome pictures!!! You look fabulous. You rock.....I loved the pictures. So, tell me something, from a dumby on recumbent bikes. What is the purpose of them. Was it that it was physically impossible to ride an upright bike or is there some other logic behind these bikes that I have no idea about. I have seen a few here in my area, but very few. I was wondering if there is some added benefit to them? And also,what do you do with your arms and hands while you ride??? Thanks so much for anwering. GOOD JOB on the weight loss!!! Deanna

Thanks, blushing!

This is what I know recumbent bikes. I started riding on the Withlacoochee trail it is a 42 mile paved former railroad track. I was riding my old mountain bike. My weight caused a great deal of pain on the bone between my legs. My muscles would recover before the bone would. One day I was riding this torture device of mine and a group of riders passed me, they were some of the strangest bikes I had ever seen.

Here is the bottom line: Every single one of these cyclists Everyone of them were SMILING!!! I decided to check these bikes out and bought two styles. I have completed 100, 80, 60, and 50 mile rides without any soreness of the butt bone. There is some pain I get when riding ,all I have to do is stop and stand-up for a few minutes and it goes away!!!

Sorry I was so longwinded. Did I answer your question?

JC

Yes, I think so. So, basicly it is a comfort thing???? That is what I am understanding from you. That is so awesome you have that kind of trail available to you. I have to ride on the road and these damn people act like its a "CHORE" to move over so they don't hit you. Deanna

Yeah comfort is the biggest factor I would say muscle isolatation is second. If you lean your weight into pedaling you are using less muscle and air energy, Isolation gives maximum effect for your workout.

I know what you mean about traffic. We attract a lot of tour de france type trainers here because Pasco County is in Central Florida and has some of the biggest (only) hills in the state. I see people getting impatient with these trainers, they train on the roadways it is a real shame how people in cars treat them to say the least.

I count myself lucky I have six trails close to me. The Withlacoochee trail is only three miles away. :-)

Hows your bike riding going? Do you ride during the week?

JC

Oh yes, I ride EVERY DAY!! If I don't I feel bad (physically) We having a blast at it though. I sweat like a freak, but I don't care. Last night some guys drove by and were yelling out the window of the car. I asked my DH if they had never seen a fat lady riding a bike before. Funny thing I don't "see" myself as fat anymore until I go by a mirror or glass window, then I see how far I REALLY have to go still. Oh well...I will get there soon enough. Thanks for all of the info on the bike, its interesting. Yeah, I almost got hit last night. Some idiot in a truck pulling a trailer behind him...IN THE BIKE LANE!!!!!!!! IDIOTS!! Deanna

Amen to the idiot comment. It is good that you have someone to ride with you, for safety and motivation.

I noticed people who don't know me treat me as if I don't have a weight problem, however I see that I need to get rid of at least 15 maybe 20 more pounds.

JC

That must be quite exciting to meet new people who never knew you as heavy!!! I can't wait. It will be nice to have some talk to me and not be wondering how I can be this fat!!! Deanna

Hey Biking Buddies.

I'm going for my first group ride this Thursday. It's a short one, only 10 miles, but I'm excited to go and get enculturated to the whole thing.

I did get out today, on my own, and did 25 miles. I can't go every day because I have a 5 year old at home with me half the time (shared custody). I can be gone for hours when she's with the ex, and I ride with her on a tandum tag along, but only 4-5 miles.

JC- you are looking good. Great photos.

I'm getting banded next week but I'm already planning my post-band exercise. I have a great mountain bike that I never use, so I thought it about time to dust it off and hit the road. Any advice, websites, or forums I should check out for someone just starting out? How soon after banding did you start riding?

Lady-

Yes it is a club. There are many where I live, but I hooked up with a women's club that hooks up with the other regional club for week night rides. The Women on Wheels (WOW) get together every weekend and ride.

I've not gone with them, but one of the WOW leaders met me at the bike shop and helped me ask all the right questions about my new bike. She's been really great.

Cherry-

I was allowed to do anything that didn't involve my abs at two weeks out. I had to wait 6 weeks for strength exercise. I would say depending on how you ride, you might want to wait 6 weeks for the off-road, jumping puddles kind of riding. But if you just did some time on the seat, on the road you should be able to start at 2 weeks.

Just my opinion.

Juli

That is so funny you mention WOW, the other night when dh and I were riding there was a van pulling a trailer that had that on it!!! I didn't write down the number, but was eyeing that trailer!!! That is sooooo cool!!!

We went 16 miles last night and boy oh boy could I FEEL a difference from the 10 miles we usually do!! I was soooooo sore, during the ride even. My ass felt like like it was on fire!!! That was weird, I havent had that kind of numbness since first starting. And another car driving by with screaming people in it. BOY you gotta love that!!! Makes me just wanna hit someone!! Deanna

Thanks Juli, the club thing is very cool gives you a larger support group!

Cherrybomb I started riding "again" 4 weeks post-op.

Deanna, you and Juli are starting to make me feel like a lazy slug!

I'm going to have to step it up!

JC

Speaking of mountain biking. I decided that I was just a fit as ever woman and decided I would take my bike and DH up on a pretty smooth hard dirt trail up in the mountains. I was all siked up and ready to go. Full of energy and raring with enthusiam. Well, not even a mile into this trail I can't even breath. It is too uphill and I just can't do it. There are some rocky areas as well, and my bike is not doing well. I turn around and go back. I am disappointed in myself for thinking that I was in that good of shape to be able to do this. I have not been riding that long and still have a lot of weight to lose, so I know this is a huge let down to myself. Hubby says...three months ago you wouldn't even of left the house to try something like that, so it is a huge accomplishment really!!! What a nice guy!! I felt better after that... Deanna