Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Has anyone taken up Bycyling?

LMAO...skinny biker bitches!!!! Thats what I want to be when I grow up!!! That flashing light would be a great thing. I need a big loudspeaker too....shouting out ....large lady coming at ya!!!! LOL...Deanna

Nooo...I went to Walmart in the beginning and got a $200 bike...It turned out--the bike started falling apart after 8 days. So was I mad and upset. Then the bike guy had the nerve to say--I'll have your bike fixed in 1 week.I said--excuse me--I don't a week to wait. I am on a plan to ride every week--5 days a week and sometimes 6 days. IMagine getting the bike that is $199 and it falls aprt and the gears stick. What do you know--I brought a $74 bike--because I rode my sons bike and It felt good. So I upgraded the seat--got me a extra large gil seat---the old style we all had in the 60's and 70's--but a soft gel.

Hey there JC...I saw your pictures...Cool pictures of where Id like to be in March of 2008..I started off at 273....I weighed myself at 240 just 3 weeks ago. So I am hoping I've gotten my average still going of 2.5 pounds week. I think my latest fill did the trick for me. I to a 1 cc the first fill and then .6 the next on June 13th. Since that time--it's been hard not to be full. The mornings are tough--I can eat very little and feel satisfied and the same goes for the lunch and evenings...I still have a hard time taking in 6 mini meals. I am trying hard--but--I've had my times of being sick. The first 3 days---I had so many times when food would not stay down. Cold drinks--not too good all the time. Sometimes they seem to freeze my throat and I get that urge of making a new run to the bathroom--that would be throwing up.

But--just in losing the small amount of weight--I am shocked at many responses. A lady last night who met me 22 months ago--claimed she didn't know me at all. She asked me--"Did you just move here? I looked at this person and she was 'dead' serious. I said...you actually don't know you met me in October 2005? She says no...I gave her a pass..so my ego got a little more inflated...

Thanks again...

Lee, I am not talking about a boxed bike. That is what they call the bikes at the retail chain stores. I am talking about a good bike from a bike shop. They know their bikes and they are better quality. Thats the facts. I am not saying a 74 dollar bike won't get you where you are going, but riding 20 miles or more at a time on a 74 dollar bike might make it so you only do it once!!! I am glad you found a bike that you really like and enjoy!!! That is great!

Lee that is such a great NSV, I can't wait until someone doesn't recognize me. That will be a GREAT day. Congratulations!!!!

<p>Maybe we are much different. I told my Dr I was buying a bike after I got out of the hospital. I got out--March 29th...March 30th--I had a new bike. By April 5th--I was doing my thing. I can't say I am "Mr Tough Guy". I was in pain--but I road a block, then 2 and before you know it--I was getting an average of 3.5 a day.On my good days--I am right at 5 to 5.5 miles. I am soooo tired sometimes--but I push myself. I feel so lucky and blessed. I let my next door neighbor borrow my sons bikes--they quit after 2 days with me. Guess what??? They are 23 and 24 old Women. They begged me to take them 3 and 4 miles. I said--you ladies are not ready. The first day--2.5 and then the next day--with them egging me on--they played follow the leader. I took through my bike trail in the woods near my home. When we ended--the speedometer said 5.2 miles. The larger of my young uddies went indie and didn't come out for 2 hours--she fell on her couch--went to sleep. During constantly telling them to catch up. I didn't want no one to get lost on my winding trail. I make up the trail as we go along. I get bored so much doing the same old route. So I look at my speedomater and say--OK--I should be at 2.5 to 3 miles--right in the deep wooed area. Then I head back when I can feel the energy levels start to drain. I am still trying to build myself up for the 8 miles ride...Thank God--I am 50 and motivated. I thought--here are 2 young Women--one skinny about 110 pounds and the other--at maybe a size 20....asking me can they hang out with me riding. I guess they thought I was pouring Water all over me---then acting like I am riding the milage...Friday, Saturday and today--no one knocked on my door. Both said--they are too tired. What the world coming to? I just got back to riding alone. I use a walkie talkie I brought for my sons. I put some money into getting one that has 8.5 miles radius. I wear a belt with 2 water holders, a pouch that holds the cell phone and the walkie talkie. This way--the kids can play at the park and I can keep in touch. Funny thing--people have asked me some silly questions---the biggest silly question of the day---"Are you a cop? I wear gloves, helmet and good shoes--but can sometimes be seen calling me kids...like the commercial--"Where you at?

<p>Ohh ok....I have looked into the bike shop. But with me being a Single Parent on retirement funds. I didn't think a $399 bike was feasible right now. But--Lets just call the Walmart bike--my starter bike. Oh--let's not kid ourselves. I brought this cheap bike Maybe March 30th---it's July 1st and the bike has not problems. All I did was change to a new seat--took off the regular brakes and brought heavy duty brakes. Yes--it does make noise when I stop--but they don't wear down. I figured--maybe in September or October--after the boys are in school a Month or 2. I may buy me a used bike from the bike shop. I've been there already and the guy has plenty of better quality bikes--new and used. My bike--I will always do what I like to do--give it away to a deserving person. I made a mistake 3 months ago--gave it to a lady next door. She has let my kids old bikes sit and collect dust...I brought three new bikes--for me and my 2 boys. After 45 days of hanging with Dad--the kids have told me--they want to play more with their buddies than ride with me. LOL--- Like I said--my next purchase--I will get me a quality bike. I actually love the bikes the cops have. They are sturdy. I will have to ask my buddy--who is a cop- what kind of bike he rides each day...

Thanks Lee, you are having great success as well.

I think I know what Deanna is trying to say. Sometimes the "off the rack" bikes have poorer riding geometry which can cause aches and pains that are not related to excercise but related to the position the bike forces you in. However, some people actually find the "off the rack" bikes are just fine.

Point is, if you continue to feel pain and discomfort and decide that bike riding is your future you might want to look into an upgrade.

JC

I really think that is it great that you are up and moving!!! That is what is so great! So many banders think they can just eat less and get the results they want. While that may work for some, at least for awhile, it is not going to work for the majority of us. Moving our bodies, whether is it biking, walking, running, swimming or whatever is what is great. Big hand claps to all of us who are doing the band the justice it deserves and doing our part in process!!!

I learned that with proper motivation I can pedal my new trike 18-20 miles per for a long time! If you lack proper motivation try riding in the middle of a thunderstorm!!

I grabbed some cool pics though. Distance 18 miles

str8jacket29 - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Album name is Green Swamp Van Fleet

JC

Dude,

Great motivation, I'd say! Ha!

Love the images too, but I think you need to rename the album, Green Swamp My Feet.

Cute toes.

I did a 21 mile ride yesterday. My overall average rate of speed was 13.2 mph. Which is slowly increasing.

I was on a curvy bike path with lots of people, but I made good time and had fun.

I'm going out again tonight, solo and tomorrow with a group.

Woo Hoo.

Gotta love Florida! Those sandals actually click into the pedals on my bike! I'll have to find some black low rise socks or get a pedicure. lol

JC

LOL, good job Juli!!! THanks for posting the 21 miles, since I only got a 20 miler in....now I have to work on 21 MILES...LOL..j/k. That is sooooo freakin awesome, and I LOVE the way I feel the rest of the day/ night after I ride. It is the absolute best feeling. Damn I love my bike!!! Keep up the good work all!!

Gotta love Florida! Those sandals actually click into the pedals on my bike! I'll have to find some black low rise socks or get a pedicure. lol

JC

Go for the pedicure, because socks with sandals is a horrible look. You don't want to look uncool, do ya? On that note, stay away from polish when you get the pedicure beacuse that's worse than uncool.

As for the pedicure nothing says I am well put together more than a guy who takes care of his feet. Trust me. The ladies will dig you, or your wife will go oh, la, la.

:eek: