Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Has anyone taken up Bycyling?

hoosier....its not about how far you can go right now...that will come....as long as you are doing it that is the important thing!!!! You will start feeling more balance as you work your way up to longer times.....I even could stand up on the pedals as I was moving the other day...I COULD NEVER do that when I started. I have lots more balance now and you will too. Give it some time, ride a bit at a time and then a little longer and then a little longer....pretty soon you will be doing miles at a time...Keep it up girl!!!

Oh Juli, yeah look at me....I can't believe I put THAT picture up there, but when my three month since surgery day comes I want to put the new me up there and see if anyone notices...LOL..kinda like a goal to see if anyone notices..LOL...

thank you....

I was riding 5-6 miles on my 1 speed granny bike....Not sure why this is so diffucult...talk about totally feeling unfit....

Thanks for the support......

Ok, I feel like I have never been on a bike before, it seems to be kicking my butt big times. We are not on our normal route do to the rain, and are on a gravel road, but we are trying to adjust my seat in order for it not to hurt my knees, and I feel like I am going to fall. When I am peddling, that my legs have never ever been on a bike. I am so upset. I was so excited about getting my bike, and for the first time in a long time I feel like I am not ready to be on a bike becuase I still have so much too loose.

I am sorry for whining, I just dont want to give up, and yet I feel totally unfit after riding just short distances.

Thanks for listening.

First of all, gravel and bikes suck. It's HARD, and you feel like you want to fall over, like the bike is floating. It's the road, not your skill/ability.

B. It's a new bike, it's going to feel a bit different.

Three- :) Like Deanna said, take it easy, add slowly. You're not racing anyone.

D. Would you have done this a few months ago? Hell NO! You are making huge strides. Take stock in just how far you have come, not how far you think you should be. That's a should've and they along with would'ves and could'ves are not part of the conversation because they do no one any good.

Now, go kiss your husband and smile at yourself in the mirror. (Not for any good reason, except I'm bossy and like to tell people what to do.)

:biggrin1:

Hoosier - Juli and Deanna are right - keep on trying - you're doing GREAT! If you aren't able to get the bike set up well, take it to a bike shop that can help - it's worth the hassle!

Deanna - it's only about 78 here at 8pm in Seattle - perfect temp! I'm going to head out for a ride! :) Yeah, I know you're jealous, but think of the other 300 days a year where it's gray in Seattle... :eek:

Thank You Thank You And Thank You....i Needed Your Email.....

I Read It Aloud To My Husband And He Didnt Know I Knew Anyone That Could Be So Nice...lol Men!!!!!

I Am Planning On Taking It To The Normal Place Tommorow Evening...i Am Not Giving Up...came To Far And Have Allot Farther Too Go......and With This Thread And My Friends I Have On Here I Know I Can Do It...

Thanks Again Juli And Everyone Else....

Juli is the best!!! She is always there to answer questions and if you're lucky, she will become your shadow, or you will become hers!!!

Gravel and bikes do suck!!!! I have a few different bike routines set up that are 10 miles and some of them have some loose gravel and I HATE it every time I have to go on that part of the ride. It is a very uneasy feeling!!! Keep on keeping on...

Picked up my comfort bike yesterday (it wasn't ready on monday). Went on my first bike ride in YEARS!!! My oh My I am out of shape!!! I went two miles and dang if my legs didn't turn to rubber bands!!!! lol!!! I have a meeting today at 1...it's 2.5 miles from home, so I think I'm going to take a leap of faith and bike there! I should get there just fine...it's down hill most of the way...it's the way home I'm worried about!!! :faint: Wish me luck!! hahaha

What is a comfy bike? I have been wanting to ride but a bit scared of falling since I had knee replacement surgery on both knees - I've been walking but I would much rather ride.

Congrats Juli on your miles today. I went an got me a new seat, and messed with the seat adjustment until I was comfy in it (and not where my husband thinks it needs to be) He thinks it needs to be up higher

but I am not ready for that and not confident in my ability yet for that...that will come. I ended up riding here again tonight, but we are going in the morning to the lake at the DAMM and riding which is our normal place to go anyway. I felt better about myself tonight, and have confidence that each time I get in the seat it will be a new start.....I do remember at 322, which Is where I started, I would never of attempted what I am doing.

My goal is to get on it and ride....I may even set a goal for me each week..we will see how tommorow goes. My husband is even fixing his old Raliegh bike up so he can use it instead of the mountain bike .....

Have fun tommorow!!!

Woo Hoo!!! Keep at it!!! I did 10 miles this morning and over 10 this evening with DH...It is great except the extremely hot temps over 100 here today....Too dang hot!!! As for your seat, you are the one who has to ride the bike, so it should be comfy to you. They bike store wanted me to get a medium framed bike, but I felt better with a large frame so that is what I got. It is all about you and how you feel as you ride, which by the way, can change rapidly, so just pay attention to how your body feels and you might need to adjust things up a bit. Deanna

Thanks Deanna....you are right, of I am not comfortable I wont ride...so I am happy I got it where I want it. We are leaving in a few to go ride.

I was excited my scale says and has said since Wed. that I am down to 286....I am hyped. Shows me sweating and moving is WORKING.....

Well, have a great day everyone....

So I totaled my bike today. Well not completely totaled but I ma out of commission until I get to the bike shop and get at least a new wheel and everything else that may not be working fixed.

Let me set the scene up for you....

This morning I decided to play Tour de Oakwood (pretty much I was trying to ride to work as quickly as possible.) About 2 miles from my house a bee flies into my face and gets into my hair. I am freaking out trying to swat it out because I am deathly afraid of them. I start to swerve right where there is a bunch of landscaping going on and as hard as I try I can't keep myself from falling into the 12 inch deeps 6 inch wide ditch that is on the side of the sidewalk. I sort of dove headfirst ove the handlebars and landed on this huge piece of plywood and sort of slide along it. Due to the dusty piece of wood I don't have a mark on me but I am covered in dirt. My bike was not so lucky. Chunks of mud everywhere, handlebars turned sideways, cracked pedal, chain popped off. Off course there are several people to witness this and my pride was wounded lol. I was shaking for about 5 minutes and once I calmed down I get ready to hop back on and go. I fix the chain and straighten the handlebars and try to get back on. The wheel is bent to shit and I can't ride it. So I walk the bike two miles home and drive to work.

Lessons I have learned.

1. If I had just been riding in the street I would have just hit the curb and fallen on the grass.

2. Wear a helmet. The main reason I was on the sidewalk was because I don't have a helmet. Funny thing is that probably 10 seconds before the accident I was thinking "Dang I really need to get a helmet". I am pretty lucky all that happened to my head was a little bit of dirt.

So yeah my biking this weekend seems to be dunzo. I have a wedding to go to tonight, pretty much right after work and a busy day tomorrow. Damn.

Babygirl

OMG! What a horrible way to start the day!!!

I'm happy you weren't more seriously hurt, but boo hoo about your bike. That just stinks.

You'll be up and rolling along again soon. I'm sure.

As for our weekend rides, the GF has decided that she won't be able to do more than 15 miles today, we are scheduled to ride with a group tomorrow 28. I think BOO, I want to do at least 20! But I don't say that. Yesterday's ride challenged her more than she expected. Challenged me too. We were riding this crappy trail, had lots of weeds and crossed many intersections, not my idea of fun but comfortable for her. When it ended we got in the road, where I was happier but not good for her.

At one point we had to ride a very busy road 4 lanes...again, not horrible for me, but really stretched her.

Overall yesterday was great. So, today I'll let her set the pace. I'm really looking forward to tomorrow. :) We've been having a great time all together though.

Now it's time for homework. Oi.