Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My doctor says that gastric banding is a waste of time.

Good points on both sides, but, 2muchfun nailed it when he says that the band requires much attention and rules must be followed, else you become a statistic on the negative side. Here’s a great example:

Let’s say a successful gastric by-pass or a sleeve patient is years out with no complications, everything has healed, they are losing weight, happy as can be, then the food head games come back and they slip into old eating habits, which is very easy to do. The long term repercussion is that they will stretch their pouch and the weight starts coming back on and life goes on. When this occurs with banded patients, we not only gain weight, but, the stretched pouch will cause band slippage or worse. Not to mention the other complications that can occur to our esophagus.

In all honesty, before getting the band, I was in denial of the rules. With all the research that I did before surgery, in my mind, I had found the equivalent to the fountain of youth for weight loss and regardless of what I read I was determined that this was “the magic” that was going to do it for me. The “band rules reality” kicked in for me after my head hunger woke up from its nap and I ignored the most critical band rule of eating slow, small bites and chewing well. Had I continued without a checkup my stretched pouch would have evolved and I would have ended up with slippage and possible band removal.

Another consideration is the amount of weight you need to lose and how active you will be with exercise. LapBand weight loss is much slower than other WL surgeries and will eventually come to a halt at which point it is all up to you, then you really realize how the band is only a tool.

Future band patients really need to understand what they are getting themselves into before proceeding! With that said, in most cases, we fail the band, the band doesn’t fail us. My advice for those considering the band – do your research, but also, attend lapband support groups, talk to bandsters and better yet, get to know someone successfully traveling the band journey. The band saved my life and am grateful for it! Jake

Edited by jakealta

I never comment on these kinds of threads, but I'm so tired of reading how "the band doesn't fail the person, the person fails the band"... I am a band to sleeve revision. I got my band in 2007. I did well the first year, was self pay initially, and eventually trying to find the green zone at $150 co-pay for each fill was tough. I lost a significant amount of weight and was happy with my band for about 2 years. What I didn't know was that scar tissue was forming between the band, my stomach and my liver. I'm not sure how I "failed" and caused that scar tissue...but all these experts with two or three years with their band (or less) can probably explain that to me. Eventually reflux caused me to have the band unfilled, still unaware of the scar tissue situation. I kept the band nearly empty until this spring (7 years). Things you should know:

- Removable is a relative term. There's no guarantee your insurance will cover band removal; most will require that you have some terrible problem (slip, etc).

- the copay for fills should be something you consider. Fill, unfill, fill, fill - that's $600 on my insurance.

You don't know what the band will do long term. My revision doctor put it this way. With the sleeve, the risk is all in the first few months after surgery. Once healed from surgery, leaks are very rare. With the band, the risk is all longer term. Join the Facebook group for Failed Lap bands and read the stories there. Most people there will tell you they loved their band...until something went wrong. That "it's not the band" talk just doesn't pass common sense. Listen to people who are 5+ years out from their band surgery...you want a lifetime of success, not just a couple of years.

I read one the replies and see that your surgeon was in the north part of Houston. I am in Spring. If you ever want to talk let me know. I am going through True Results, mainly due to my insurance not covering weight loss surgery. My niece had her band through the San Antonio True Results...the band, in March and has lost 60#. I am scheduled for my band on the 19th. I have been on the preop diet since last Wednesday and as if this morning had lost 9.4#. I have been on many different diets and always go back to big portions and gain all the weight back. I finally decided after much deliberation that I needed a tool to help me with Portion Control. I know that I can still make the choice to eat incorrectly but I am going to pray to God to help me and give me the strength to do this. I have several friends that have succeeded and less friends that have not been successful. I hope that those failures will make me more aware and make better choices.

NoDramaLlama,

Just curious, why did you decide to go with the sleeve versus bypass? The doctor I saw told me he does about 50/50 sleeve/bypass and that the sleeve has risen in demand lately. However, he also said that if it was his choice he thinks bypass is better because we simply do not have the statistics for the sleeve, given this is a newer procedure. He told me, ask me in 10 years and we will know by then. Well, that won't help me much making a decision on which way to go, right?

Let me interject a slightly different point of view?

I went with the band for many of the same reasons you prefer the band. But I know myself, I know I'm in control and I understand how this all works. Maybe your physician has some insight into your own personality and feels you may not be true to the band? The band will require much more attention than the other WLS techniques. No grazing, no bingeing, following the eating very slow and chewing chewing chewing is a must. Follow up and aftercare is so important with the band. Can't tell you how many posts we've seen from people who are 8 years out and haven't been back to see their doctor for 6 years, mostly due to loss of insurance and lack of funds.

There are some patients who should not be Lap Band patients. The Lap Band was the marquee WLS 4-10 years ago, but many surgeons didn't understand how much follow up would be required and many surgeons suck at communication and follow up. Many patients were given maintenance instructions that were counter intuitive to what the best surgeons communicate today.

So, are you a good candidate? Get a 2nd opinion and be very honest with your surgeon so they can recommend the best surgery for you.

tmf

I loved this response tmf....

Statistics piss me off and they piss me off because statistics cannot account for every possible variable/scenario and that goes for every WLS procedure not just the band.

When I decided to take the plunge and go for the band I went at it head first. My life became about WLS, lifestyle change and everything band. I've thrived on the maintenance and adjustment appointments and became heavily involved in support groups. I used those appointments/meetings as a driving force throughout my journey.

Some of the meetings I have been in people talk about how they want a specific procedure, drop the weight and forget they ever had surgery or even a weight problem for that matter. I find that absolutely crazy and I walk away wondering if they'll make it.

We're all obese and even with this tool we may lose weight and look like a thin person but that obese monster will still continue to live inside us and needs to be kept in check throughout the rest of our lives.

I agree with you though the band is not for everyone and is certainly not a 'set it and forget it'. Band requires a lot of dedication.

I don't know how many times I've heard "you have so much weight to lose I wouldn't do the band". Amount of weight has nothing to do with it and I find the statement almost insulting.

I would look into Plication also......something that didn't come up for me when I was researching. I'm so glad I knew what I wanted to do, that it was clear for me, as a thread like this would have set me spinning. And I agree about the statistics and how they are calculated. Statistics here where there are so many people with a point of view offered up over and over again would indicate the band is just a disaster waiting to happen. I'm really glad I had my LB Talk peeps back in the day, even though they'd come on there, too, to try to deter. Guess I'm going to go take my foreign object for a walk as I'm so weary of this.

@@NoDramaLlama I just wanted to comment on your experience with the band. I'm sorry that this happened to you, and your right in the case of scar tissue you did not fail your band. The band did not fail you, it just didn't work for you in the way it was intended.

This happens to people who have hip replacements and knee replacements sometimes our body builds up scar tissue and the implants don't function the way they are intended. It's an unfortunate thing for sure and painful and traumatic and so much more I can imagine. That said though it's not fair to bash the band or the patient.

Most of the time gastric banding doesn't' work for the patient because they are not compliant with the the necessary follow up care. They are either not educated enough or their doctors don't offer or require follow up care after the surgery.

Every person who considers WLS no matter what the surgery modality is needs to educated themselves and interview their doctors and hospitals and get a very clear and comfortable sense of what to expect from them before, during and most importantly after surgery.

Bypass and sleeve patients can walk away only to have issues with regain and malabsorbtion of nutrients, bone loss and other affects down the road and they have long since been seen by their surgeon. No WLS is a set it and forget it. That is the biggest misconception I see in the WLS community today from patients and doctors alike.

I need as much follow up care from my bariatric surgeon as I do from my cardiologist. My cardio doctor runs his tests and sees me regularly. Not because I have had a heart attack or have other heart problems, but to be sure that I never have a heart problem and that from a cardiac standpoint I am taking care of myself. Just like my dentist does, and my dermatologist and my hair dresser who makes sure my grey's are covered and my blond is just the right shade and falls just as it should.

I can't say enough about follow up care for WLS patients!! Dr.'s out there...we need it, you should make it a requirement!!!

I know folks who have had both the band and sleeve. The sleeve is not a magic cure all--it requires as much effort as the band. It is easy to stretch the stomach by repeatedly over eating.

Hi there. Just wanted to chime in on your post. I am having my lap band removed and revised to RNY with Dr. Turnquest on 9/29/2014. He has an excellent reputation - every single person I've encountered (hospital registration desk, hospital ultrasound tech, outpatient surgery center nurses x4, ob/gyn, psychologist for consult) each person has RAVED about this guy. I have never had so many people be so complimentary of a doctor before - ever. He gave you that advice for a reason. The surgeon that did my lap band (Richard Wilkenfeld - Conroe/True Results) closed his office a few weeks ago - I don't think that's a coincidence. I think that overwhelmingly people are having their bands removed - many for complications, many for not losing weight. For me, it's both - minimal weight loss, slipped band and acid reflux. (And both the ultrasound tech and outpatient surgical nurse also had their's removed and revised by Dr. Turnquest - both to the sleeve.) Also, I test positive for the markers for lupus (foreign body effects your immune system). There are definitely people that are successful with the band and I congratulate each one of them. As time has passed, they have become (are continuing to become) the minority. Please seriously consider taking his advice on the lapband. Go to obesityhelp.com, and other sites. I felt like you did six years ago and chose the least invasive surgery, unfortunately, it was not the success I hoped. I regret not having researched it more thoroughly or having the information about it that we now have.

Best of luck to you.

Hi there. Just wanted to chime in on your post. I am having my lap band removed and revised to RNY with Dr. Turnquest on 9/29/2014. He has an excellent reputation - every single person I've encountered (hospital registration desk, hospital ultrasound tech, outpatient surgery center nurses x4, ob/gyn, psychologist for consult) each person has RAVED about this guy. I have never had so many people be so complimentary of a doctor before - ever. He gave you that advice for a reason. The surgeon that did my lap band (Richard Wilkenfeld - Conroe/True Results) closed his office a few weeks ago - I don't think that's a coincidence. I think that overwhelmingly people are having their bands removed - many for complications, many for not losing weight. For me, it's both - minimal weight loss, slipped band and acid reflux. (And both the ultrasound tech and outpatient surgical nurse also had their's removed and revised by Dr. Turnquest - both to the sleeve.) Also, I test positive for the markers for lupus (foreign body effects your immune system). There are definitely people that are successful with the band and I congratulate each one of them. As time has passed, they have become (are continuing to become) the minority. Please seriously consider taking his advice on the lapband. Go to obesityhelp.com, and other sites. I felt like you did six years ago and chose the least invasive surgery, unfortunately, it was not the success I hoped. I regret not having researched it more thoroughly or having the information about it that we now have.

Best of luck to you.

And many for not following the rules and many for other unrelated health issues and complications. And BTW, bands are not being removed overwhelmingly. This may be your observation but it's an undocumentible observation.

your surgeon Is being irresponsible. Not all Dr's are professional and honest. the foreign object argument is dumb as tmf explained excuse me but you lose a huge portion of your stomach when you are sleeved so it's pick your surgery wisely. the sleeve is relatively new and bypass is a drastic surgery so it's not a matter of big or little it's a matter of choosing what you feel is best for you.

Your right.....

@BrownEyes82... your height, weight and age are nearly identical to mine. Very excited to hear about your success as I continue to research and go through approval process. Best of luck to you!!! :)

Well. Lots of us here clearly think banding was a good choice. It is such a personal decision. And you have to be willing to do the work it takes to exercise and monitor food. No other way has ever worked for me. I support whatever you choose if it makes you healthier and happier. That is what my band did for me personally. Best of luck and do tell the final decision.

I think with any wls, there are pros and cons, for the people saying you need one over the other because you have no self control, can you explain it further please, I mean with the sleeve, it is possible to constantly overeat, and re stretch your stomach, same with bypass, if you overeat with the band, it causes pouches and slippage. My opinion...and this is just my opinion, you will have to learn some self control, no matter what surgery type you decide on, do your homework, look up pros and cons on all of them from a negative side and a positive side, then decide with your dr what's best for you:)