Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Zucchini recipes?

So even though I'm currently still in my post op liquid phase I am trying very hard to prepare for normal healthy alternatives in the regular food phase. Does anyone have any ideas for zucchini?? I know of tots and chips which I plan. I am new to zucchini so I'm unsure. I stopped at the farmers market and got super cheap fairly large zucchini...and squash for that matter. I plan on cooking with them now however and seeing how family likes it. Any idea or recipe is greatly appreciated ^_^

Slice them lengthwise and rub a little oil on them and maybe some adobo seasoning,,,,,,and then grill them.......before my surgery, I never even slowed down for grilled veggies, now that carmeilzed glazed flavor on any veggie, broccoli, cauliflower, etc. is to die for.........take some cauliflower florets and toss them in some oil and herbs and grill them....yum......

Slice lengthways, scrape out the seeds, stuff w/diced tomatoes, a little mozzarella, feta, chopped basil, and top w/turkey pepperoni - then grill till zucchini is tender and cheese is bubbly. Even my hubby loves this! Delish!!!!!

I slice up the zucchini into mini-bite size chunks, add some mushrooms, red onions and red bell peppers and fry them in some Tuscan extra virgin olive oil for a few minutes to make them soft. Throw them on top of brown rice and red and black Beans. Add some seasoning and you've got a healthy meal with lots of Protein. Don't forget the Protein?

When you consume 800-1000 cals a day, your body will burn fat for energy and also muscle if you aren't consuming enough protein. We don't want to lose muscle. Just fat.

tmf

Similar to terry1118's recipe........my boyfriend was born in Malta (an island in the Mediterranean sea) and cooks in the Mediterranean style. He did what terry1118 did, but with an eggplannt hollowed out and the edible part cooked with ground beef, onion, garlic, and marinara sauce. He topped it with basil and mozzerella cheese. It tasted like pizza without all the crust that adds starchy calories. So it looks like terry1118's zuchinni recipe would be a good alternative for pizza.< /p>

Years ago, I was at a dinner party and one of the vegetables served was baked zuchinni with the insides mashed and flavored with a little butter, salt, pepper, and I think the cheese was parmesan. Then it was put under the broiler for a toasty finish. That was mighty yummy.

My boyfriend has also taken zuchinni and shredded it and then added it to other recipes to veggie them up. Keep in mind that when you do that with zucchinni, it needs to be soaked in salt Water overnight and then rinsed and drained before use. I did not do that when I tried it and had a mushy mess. Zuchinni releases a lot of moisture.

Similar to terry1118's recipe........my boyfriend was born in Malta (an island in the Mediterranean sea) and cooks in the Mediterranean style. He did what terry1118 did, but with an eggplannt hollowed out and the edible part cooked with ground beef, onion, garlic, and marinara sauce. He topped it with basil and mozzerella cheese. It tasted like pizza without all the crust that adds starchy calories. So it looks like terry1118's zuchinni recipe would be a good alternative for pizza.< /p>

Years ago, I was at a dinner party and one of the vegetables served was baked zuchinni with the insides mashed and flavored with a little butter, salt, pepper, and I think the cheese was parmesan. Then it was put under the broiler for a toasty finish. That was mighty yummy.

My boyfriend has also taken zuchinni and shredded it and then added it to other recipes to veggie them up. Keep in mind that when you do that with zucchinni, it needs to be soaked in salt Water overnight and then rinsed and drained before use. I did not do that when I tried it and had a mushy mess. Zuchinni releases a lot of moisture.

Lol. Just to give credit where credit is due... the recipe isn't mine. Someone else posted it here quite a while back. A hearty thanks to whoever it was because I love my pizza-stuffed zucchini!

Miss Mac, your suggestions sound tasty, also! :-)

Edited by terry1118

Fill paper bag with extra zucchini from your garden. While at post office watch for some one going in who has left their car window open. TA-da!

But seriously, ratatouille, yum! Pecorino and oregano are key, and excellent olive oil...

i use it for lasagna.. add it to crab cakes.. make it into noodles.. the possibilities are endless!

Am making this for dinner tonight so...

Cut lengthwise and scrape out middle. Combine a mixture of cream cheese, shredded chicken breast, spices to your liking, and jalapenos (more or less depending on what you like). Fill the hollow with cream cheese mixture and top with reduced fat shredded cheese. Bake in oven til tender and cheese is bubbly...

Sounds sooo yummy!!

You can actually shred zucchini like cheese and add it to a lot of recipes where it just blends right in. I mix equal parts shredded zucchini with low fat ground turkey - then add paprika, sugar free ketchup, salt & pepper, sauteed onions, chopped garlic, and a little bit of something starchy like leftover cooked brown rice or even plain oatmeal. It makes a bangin' low fat low sugar "meatloaf."

It's even better if you cook it in little muffin tins - because the crusty bit is always the best part of meatloaf, right? Don't forget to smother the tops in a little sugar free ketchup for the last 15 minutes of cooking.

Zucchini Soup is really good if you love zucchini. I sautéed zucchini in a pan with garlic, onion and a poblano pepper. I blended it together with a little chicken broth and seasoned it with salt and pepper.

It was smooth, creamy and delicious.

I use a mandolin slicer and then a quick sauté over high heat with a little onion and bell pepper. Right at the end, I add some halved cherry tomatoes and cook till they are hot and juices start oozing out.

I also add it to spaghetti sauce.

Lynda

I know this is a very late addition to this thread however its Zucchini season here in Australia at the moment and since i made this today i thought i would share as it was delicious !

Zucchini Slice by Julie Goodwin

Ingredients

2 zucchini, grated
1 large onion finely chopped
3 rashers bacon finely chopped
1 cup tasty cheese grated
1 cup self-raising flour (Self Rising Flour for our US friends)
1/4 cup of oil (Julies recipe has 1/2 cup of oil - can be easily halved)
5 eggs
salt/pepper

Method

Preheat oven to 170°C (338 Fahrenheit). Grease and line a non-stick lamington tin

Combine zucchini, onion, bacon, flour and cheese in a large bowl.

Add oil and lightly beaten eggs, and mix. Season with a little salt and pepper. Pour into lamington tin.

Bake for 35-40 mins until golden and set. Allow to cool slightly before cutting.

Note: the vegetables can be substituted or added to – try corn kernels, grated carrot, shallots, shredded Beans, and leave out the bacon for a vegetarian version.

I know this is crazy but I hardly touched zucchini before my surgery, now it is one of my favorite vegetables to eat. It was also one of He first. All the above recipes will definitely be something I try! Thanks everyone for the fantastic ideas.

One of my absolute favorites is to simply sauté zucchini slices in a small amount of olive oil, pepper. As soon as you get them slightly golden on both sides but still somewhat first, add a couple tablespoons of butter and a tablespoon or two of soy sauce. It is outstanding!

Also I love adding them to my chicken souvlaki skewers and grilling them on my indoor grill.