Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Fear of OFF DAYS

I know that this is probably an irrational fear, but whenever I take an OFF DAY from exercising, I have a fear that it will be the first day of me quitting this beautiful exercise routine that I have finally incorporated into my life. Does anyone else ever have such a weird fear?

i also developed some interesting characteristics since making working out a routine. In addition to having the same fear as you do, i feel like i dont deserve a rewarding shower unless i'm drenched in sweat...go figure

Whatever it takes to keep you on the right track. You've got the fever, that's good baby gym rat. Let that fear motivate you and nothing else. You're doing well...you will continue to do so because it's obvious excercise is a priority for you now. Way to go!

Good for you that you even have an exercising routine!! I probably could've lost ~ 50 pounds by now if I'd been exercising regularly. Good for you!!

I'm in fear of my "off days"--days on which I crave my old sins: potato chips and ice cream. I've basically been VERY GOOD food-wise, but yesterday I was "off," and had some potato chips and I just saw some ice cream on TV, and OMG... now I want some.

I guess we all can be a litttle "off" some days, as long as we get back "on" in a day or so. We lost some of our stomachs, and some/many of our pounds, but not some of our human nature. :-)

May we all have a 'good' weekend, back 'on' the horse!

I have fears on off days too-- I am afraid I will not work out again, I am afriad I will gain weight by taking a rest day. But my trainer insists I have at least one day per week when I do not do more than an easy 30 min walk (and she would prefer I have 2, but that is just too anxiety provoking for me right now). No real advice-- just wanted to let you know you are not alone. :)

Yes! I am with you on this. I more so worry that I will plateau if I don't go to the gym. And I am obsessed with losing right now.

I understand why you have that fear, it doesn't take much to get off track. I currently don't have that fear. I had to take two week long breaks from the gym, both medically related. Both times I picked up right were I left off. During those breaks I scaled back what I ate. Today is a planned day off. Tomorrow I have a 5K race. I tend to listen to my body and take a day or two off when it tells me to.

Good for you that you even have an exercising routine!! I probably could've lost ~ 50 pounds by now if I'd been exercising regularly. Good for you!!

I'm in fear of my "off days"--days on which I crave my old sins: potato chips and ice cream. I've basically been VERY GOOD food-wise, but yesterday I was "off," and had some potato chips and I just saw some ice cream on TV, and OMG... now I want some.

I guess we all can be a litttle "off" some days, as long as we get back "on" in a day or so. We lost some of our stomachs, and some/many of our pounds, but not some of our human nature. :-)

May we all have a 'good' weekend, back 'on' the horse!

In my OLD DIETING DAYS MENTALITY, I would say to myself, "Just lose 50 pounds first, and then start exercising when you're not carrying around so much weight (I used to weigh 327pounds). When I decided to take hold of my life last year, I did things differently. I started exercising three months BEFORE I had my surgery in August. I was in better shape for the surgery and I think it's what helped me recover so quickly. I started back at the gym one week post-op, but only moving my legs as I sat on a stationary bike. Fast forward to today, and I'm at the gym six days a week. It DEFINITELY helped with the weight loss, bc as a now 54 yr old (today's my BDay), the weight sure wasn't coming off like it used to when I was in my twenties. I'm now pretty addicted to the exercising...... And this is coming from a certified COUCH POTATO!!!!!

I know what you're saying but i would caution you that it sounds like you are expecting perfection. You're wondering what will happen when you miss a day. I mean realistically do you expect to never miss a workout? You are doing a great job! You've obviously made huge changes in many areas. Let your confidence in youself grow as you muscles do as well. I walked 6-7 days a week till my mom got sick, went to hospice and then passed. I went to see her every day till she passed and i got a kidney stone. I didn't walk for over a week. Then i got back to walking, cycling and lifting. It's not about being perfect. I don't know anyone who is perfect. Don't hold yourself up to unrealistic expectations of perfection. You're going to do great if you just keep doing your best.

I sometimes think this although I do take 1-2 days off a week. The other thing I worry about is what will happen to my weight when I can no longer workout at this level as I get older? Will I start to gain again? For some of us it is a part of nature to worry. I am this way a bit of a worry wort. I guess we just have to trust in ourselves that we will do the right thing for our health and bodies

While we all worry about things - in the end it is wasted energy. So many things happen in our lives that we truly have no control over. Does it stop those things if we worry about it - not really! However with that said it is not always easy to turn that damn voice off! The fear of regaining weight is always there in the back of our minds. It is the fear if unknown and a fear of losing control of our weight again. I can't tell you how to turn the voice off for good, as I struggle with her daily, but I can tell you it does no good to listen to her.

As for the exercise part - you need to give your body days off. It helps with healing and building muscle. Listen to your body - if it is screaming at you to take a few days then listen to it.

I know that this is probably an irrational fear, but whenever I take an OFF DAY from exercising, I have a fear that it will be the first day of me quitting this beautiful exercise routine that I have finally incorporated into my life. Does anyone else ever have such a weird fear?

I have the same fear. I try not to take off more than two days in a row and I schedule my exercise. My workout clothes went first into my suitcase for my upcoming business trip. Join a fitness challenge where rest days are part of the program. Then you will know exactly when you will exercise next. If you keep your head in the game I think you will be fine.

I take OFF days. I like to "schedule" them, but I also know how life is and some days don't go according to plans. I also know that it's probably an irrational fear, but I guess my anxiety in writing this post is that I ALSO KNOW ME.....just when things are getting good( weight loss , smaller clothes sizes, compliments, workout routines), I have, in many cases, gone back to ALL OF MY OLD HABITS..... Couch potato being one of them.

I think it is great that you are examining that dieter's mentality which is so front and center -- the old I'm either on or off. This is my focus right now, ditching that thinking. For food, for exercise and, well, for lots of other things, too. I am labeled as a restrictor at my surgeon's office -- I saw the nutritionist write it up and had to laugh because there was so much I felt she didn't get but she sure nailed that one. On today, or off? I've already blown it so...... Etc. We know that old thinking and you are so right that it applies to other things, too. Like exercise. It's the thin end of the wedge. But please, please know this. You have made the choice -- you are choosing yourself and your healthy future front and center. You are not going to go into OFF mode because there is no on or off anymore, there is just this healthy new you making excellent choices. You're not going to fall off the wagon. There is just each new day and you're showing up for yourself. You're doing beautifully! Happy, happy birthday!