Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

African American RNY Sisters

I am from VA!

Hello all, I'm in ma. I had the lap band in 2008 converted to the sleeve in 2013 and now getting the bypass on Aug 12th. I'm very nervous, I did not ever want to get the bypass because of all the problems that people were having with it . I did very well with the band lost 138lbs after about 5 yrs the band failed and I started gaining weight, I switched to the sleeve and did not lose an once I'm now 230 up from 157. I'm scared but I know I need to do this, I'm hoping there are no complications and I recover quickly like I did from the other surgeries, can people let me know how they are doing and give me some insight into what I can expect after the surgery? thanks

Hi Everyone! My name is Katarina

Stats:

Surgery Date: September 2nd 2014; (Pre-Op Still)

Height: 5'7 1/2

HW: 325

CW/SW: 318

GW: 180

I'd love to connect with anyone who wants to!

HI BROWN SKINNED HERE ---BUT I'LL CONNECT WITH ANYBODY- I HAD RNY JUNE 2ND 2014 DOWN 63LBS--THIS IS INCLUDING 2 WEEK liquid PRE -OP...I FEEL FINE JUST TRYING TO FIND THE RIGHT COMBINATION OF SOFT-REGULAR food TO EAT. I GET TIRED OF CHEWING..LOL... BUT I LOVE GOING TO GYM--HOWS EVERYONE ELSE?

THE PROBLEMS IN THE PAST WITH GASTRIC BYPASS ARE DIFFERENT NOW-- THEY ARE PERFORMING THEM MORE NOW THAN EVER...... JUST PRAY ABOUT IT AND DO YOUR RESEARCH

Hello, I've been on this site since march and today is the first time seeing this thread. I'm having my surgery on Monday the 21st and I'm glad that someone started this page because I'm really worried about the possibility of developing keloids at the surgery sites. I don't have any myself but I have a friend who's had the surgery and upon healing she now has several large keloids on her stomach where the cuts were made to insert the scope. Has anyone heard of this occurring in African American patients after surgery before?

I am developing keloids but it's ok because they are not large.

Hello Everyone,

Just an update, I'm doing well (surgery 7/11/14). No complications so far. My eating habits have changed drastically. Going out to eat has been fairly easy, my partner enjoys the smaller eating tabs. Eating smaller portions makes it light on his pocket (lol). I walk at least 30 min a day and have added some Hip-Hop Abs to my exercise routine but taking it slow. I am not very concerned at this point with the pounds I've lost because the difference in showing in my clothes. I have been able to wear some pants that I could not wear in April and that's a plus. I have purchased some skirts that I can take up but I refuse to buy any clothes until I have reached my 90 day make.

Wishing all much success.

<p>Hello Everyone,</p> <p> Just an update, I'm doing well (surgery 7/11/14). No complications so far. My eating habits have changed drastically. Going out to eat has been fairly easy, my partner enjoys the smaller eating tabs. Eating smaller portions makes it light on his pocket (lol). I walk at least 30 min a day and have added some Hip-Hop Abs to my exercise routine but taking it slow. I am not very concerned at this point with the pounds I've lost because the difference in showing in my clothes. I have been able to wear some pants that I could not wear in April and that's a plus. I have purchased some skirts that I can take up but I refuse to buy any clothes until I have reached my 90 day make.</p> <p> </p> <p>Wishing all much success.</p>

Sounds good, my surgery was 7/7/14... Ur doing great!! What are u eating when u go out!!!! I'm still on full liquid/puréed diet!!! Started some refrird Beans yesterday, haha and tuna today!!!! Good luck with ur journey, love to hear good news from my fellow losers!!!

Hello all, I'm having my surgery on 8/12. I have a question how much Fluid were you able to get down in stage 2, and are there any ticks to getting more in?

Hello All,

Updating you all on my progress. It's been almost 30 days and I am feeling wonderful :D . Walking about two miles every other day is something I truly enjoy. It's been a long time since I said that. My eating habits are much different and that has helped me in my progress. No longer do I sit and eat until all is gone, now I eat enough to sustain me. I have found that it feels good to push the plate away with food still on it. My son who is 15 compliments me all the time. He says , "Girl, you are getting smaller every time I see you". My partner accepted me at the size I was but is very proud of me and my progress and so is the rest of my family. I'm heading out to pamper my self.

Have a great weekend.

Hi I am from Mi

5'11

HW 332

SW 316

DOS 5/19/14

GW 170

CW 261

My surgery date is 10/20. I Celebrate my 40th birthday on 10/10 (in Jamaica)

CW 288

Sw?

Highest weight 315

Height 5'11"

GW 165

I currently live in Chicago!

Edited by jmsgal

Hi Everyone,

Feeling great and thanking God for giving the doctors the ability to perform this surgery. It's been almost 60 days and I feel awesome. No longer do I get the stares about how much bigger I am, now it's what have you done, you look great. I tell people I had surgery and thier mouths drop. It's not a secret and what works for me may not be for you. Being healthy and living to play with my future grand kids is my greatest reward. I have not been on the scale but I can tell from my clothes I have lost some more weight. I am working on my legs and arms. The time will come when I can wear that two piece but until then I am loving the new me. Pictures to come.

OK!!!!......IT IS OFFICIAL!!!!! I AM NOT TELLING ANYONE ELSE ABOUT MY UPCOMING SURGERY. UUHHHGG ....IT SEEMS LIKE EVERYONE IN MY LIFE IS JUST NEGATIVE AS HELL, I TOLD MY MOM AND BROTHER TODAY THEY PISSED ME OFF SO BAD THAT I JUST GOT UP AND WALKED OUT AND SPED OFF...I DIDN'T ASK FOR THEIR OPINIONS I JUST NEED SOME POST -OP SUPPORT DAMN!!

wow soooo sorry to hear that! Not everyone is going to like what you're doing. I have the surgery on the September 11 and I only told my close friends. You have support here. I know it will get better for you.