Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

African American RNY Sisters

Hiiiii. Black girl heavy in San Diego, CA (worst place to be overweight, all this damn beach and I don't even enjoy it LOL) I'm having RNY on April 6th, I just found out I got my insurance approval and stamp of approval from my PCP today. I am excited, relieved, terrified, nervous, anxious and ready all at the same time.

Thanks yall for sharing your stories <3

Hiiiii. Black girl heavy in San Diego, CA (worst place to be overweight, all this damn beach and I don't even enjoy it LOL) I'm having RNY on April 6th, I just found out I got my insurance approval and stamp of approval from my PCP today. I am excited, relieved, terrified, nervous, anxious and ready all at the same time.

Thanks yall for sharing your stories <3

I use to live in SD. I was over weight and felt like you that I could not enjoy the beach. Soon you will. I'm 2 yrs out and I visit SD yearly and I make sure I visit one of the beautiful beaches each time I vist. I really like the Coronado beach. Congrats on your date.

@@lovebugg2013 everything is going ok here....yesterday I received my cycle and I'm afraid it will be here on surgery day...I've been on my 1800 Cal diet since Tuesday it is going good. I'm hoping to lose another 10lbs before surgery next Tuesday.Not sure if I shared that I do not have to do liquids for a week or two Post Surgery. I will start eating pureed foods right away. Actually one I can tolerate Water and walking. TTYL

It will be okay to be on your cycle. It happened to me and they knew what to do. :) congrats on your upcoming date. God Bless.

@@moyebrady unfortunately I was on my cycle when I had my Rny. The nurses were great. It really wasn't a big deal. You'll do just fine.

Brandi from NJ.

RNY 1/28/13

SW 370

CW 250

I had 2 babies since then. Was diagnosed with pcos and was unable to conceive after having my first son almost 16 years ago. I got pregnant 17 days post op. Malik was born exactly 9 months post op 10/28/13. I got pregnant again while on the pill 4 months later and Malachi was born 12/6/14. post-197289-14245359035114_thumb.jpg

@ cookier224 and @lovebugg2013....I am soo glad it will not be an issue...Surgery is Tuesday not sure of the time but I am soooo excited. I will clean this morning...purchase my pureer prepare several meals get my GasX, flinstone chewables, MOM, a few groceries, powdered egg whites, powdered milk, medicine size drinking cups and some baby spoons...Then I'll be ready!!!

Hi my name is Lea and I'm just venting. My mom and I were discussing my decision to have gastric bypass surgery and she believes that deep down I don't want the surgery. She stated that she believes I'm sabotaging myself into not having it.

We'll here is a little background. I started this journey back in June 2014 and my insurance requires 6 months before I can have surgery. So I originally should have had the surgery in January, but because my Protein was too low the doctor would not operate. So had to wait another month to retest. We'll I tried different Protein Shakes (nasty) and I admit that I wasn't drinking the shakes like I was supposed to, so it shouldn't have been no surprise that my protein didn't improve, in fact it actually dropped some more, and again the doctor would not operate.

We'll I'm doing better with getting my protein in, but to add insult to injury I'm still smoking. I can't seem to help myself and I don't know how some of you, who have smoked were able to easily quit. I don't smoke daily, I smoke only when I go to Bingo. Which is every weekend. I'm fine during the week, and I haven't bought my own pack in months but soon as I step foot in that bingo hall with either my sister or sister in law, who both smoke. I end up smoking off of their pack. I give them $5 toward their next pack because I smoke their cigarettes like it's my own pack. I usually smoke about 4 - 5 cigarettes when I'm there. I don't get the cravings at home anymore it's only when I'm at bingo. So 2 addictions, bingo and cigs.

Now if my doctor finds this out he's definitely not going to operate because he takes that very seriously, and I really do want to stop so I can have the surgery. I just don't know how. Am I really sabotaging myself?? Because it will be my own fault if I don't have the surgery. If anyone can offer tips on what helped them I'm all ears. And if I can't handle not being able to smoke will I fail at this whole process?? Because if I can't quit whose to say I'll succeed with my new weight loss surgery lifestyle?? Please any words of encouragement, advice, prayers?

I use to live in SD. I was over weight and felt like you that I could not enjoy the beach. Soon you will. I'm 2 yrs out and I visit SD yearly and I make sure I visit one of the beautiful beaches each time I vist. I really like the Coronado beach. Congrats on your date.

I love Coronado!! It's so beautiful. I can't wait to be able to go and enjoy it the way I deserve to. For now I walk/run around it and it's my happy place. In about two years I may be relocating so I hope to get out there as much as possible before I leave.

3mos 50lbs down! Yes! Grinning from ear to ear!

Hello Sisters! My name is Yachica and I am 4 days post op. I live in Plymouth, MN (just outside of Minneapolis) and I am so glad I'm not alone. I have a lot of family support, sometimes pitty, but I still felt alone. I am still in pain, working through this new diet (while my mom is frying chicken and cooking greens????) stitches, dry mouth, & hormones among other things. Sometimes I don't know if I'm coming or going. People want me to focus on my "new body" and how "fabulous" I will look but honestly, I can only see & feel pain and discomfort. I know this too shall pass and I pray this will all be worth it.

RNY: 2/18/15

Height: 5'5

HW:274

SW: 261

CW:251

Edited by MsChica

@@leag78 smoking among other bad habits isn't just a bad idea if you're looking into having surgery, but it's actually dangerous. Smoking is inherently dangerous whether you're having surgery or not, but in regards to having bariatric surgery, if you're doctor is performing the procedure laproscopically, you're going to have 5-6 large incisions that need to heal, along with the healing that will be occuring inside of your body. Smoking puts you at risk for blood clots, which can seriously impede your healing and cause complications. You really have to stop and consider whether those few cigarettes every once in a while are worth that. Perhaps you and your sisters could find other ways to bond with each other besides bingo, which seems to be your smoking trigger. And also are they aware that you're not supposed to be smoking? Perhaps they should be and then they won't enable you by sharing their cigarettes with you.

Yes they know I'm not supposed to be smoking but they don't really try to stop me from smoking. I agree being in the bingo hall is my trigger and I may need to take a break from going just till I can control this nicotine demon. I realized that I also believe that if I get an actual surgery date that it will also motivate me even more to quit.

@@blashlee, I own a home with a pool and I only swim in the dark. We host lots of parties and I'm usually in charge of food. Not this summer **I'm coming out, I want the world to know, I'm gonna let it show** lol I keep thinking of that song!!!